• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Urgent!! Do not know what to pick!!!! (1 Viewer)

gfav

HSC
I have to choose my subjects for Year 11 and Year 12 by tonight and i have been thinking about what to pick for months but i can not decide! I have been under so much stress on choosing because of one major dilemma. I can not decide whether to do chemistry or biology. I enjoy biology and have done well in it at school in year 10. I do not enjoy chemistry as much as biology but i know that chemistry is really important to do if i want to get into any medical or science related courses in university! Please help and give me your opinion!! Thanks :)

R4diance

HSC
I have to choose my subjects for Year 11 and Year 12 by tonight and i have been thinking about what to pick for months but i can not decide! I have been under so much stress on choosing because of one major dilemma. I can not decide whether to do chemistry or biology. I enjoy biology and have done well in it at school in year 10. I do not enjoy chemistry as much as biology but i know that chemistry is really important to do if i want to get into any medical or science related courses in university! Please help and give me your opinion!! Thanks :)
Have you considered picking both?

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Por que no los dos?

Anyways, if they're on the same line I suggest you do chemistry.

My chem teacher told us that HSC biology is the similar to uni biology and without HSC biology, uni biology can still be done.

However, without the prerequisites, uni chem will be hard without knowing the foundations. So if you had to pick one of the two I'd say pick chemistry.

jazzawhat

HSC
I can already tell you everyone will advise you to pick what you enjoy. And I saw you another thread saying you doubt whether you will get into medicine anyway and you have a backup plan? Personally not a science fan so my advice on the actual selection is meager at best. But just judging from what you said go with biology if you're not 100% convinced you want in on a medicine degree. You can always talk to your parents and ask them what they think if a decision needs to be made today :)

R4diance

HSC
Well, Chemistry does open a lot more possible backup doors for you. e.g. Optometry? Physiotherapy and more health-care related fields :)

HSC
I would suggest biology! Since you enjoy it more, you'll be more likely to put more effort into studying for it, and so you'll get higher marks :) It's also an easier subject to get a Band 6 in, and that's a key thing you must think about before you pick your subjects: "Which one can I guarantee a Band 6 in?"

The concepts are not difficult to grasp at all in Biology. In Chemistry, there's some complex calculations involved and the content can get demanding... so if you don't enjoy it, studying for it can get quite tedious. I'm doing both and am in Year 11- and I love them! Biology is definitely easier though :)
Good luck! What other subjects are you thinking of doing?

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Pick Biology.

Firstly, you're bound to do better in a subject you are good at and enjoy. I know so many people who have chosen a subject because it scales well, or because it is assumed knowledge for a course, but they don't like it! This is the biggest mistake one can make for the HSC, because the candidate doesn't do as well and therefore gets a lower raw mark, a lower scaled mark and ultimately a lower ATAR.

If you're worried about Chemistry being assumed knowledge, you can do bridging courses before you do the course that teach you the necessary information before you go into the course. They only teach the necessary parts, and skip all of the irrelevant information. This applies to Physics, 2U Maths and Mathematics Extension 1 as well.

Good luck.

gfav

HSC
Por que no los dos?

Anyways, if they're on the same line I suggest you do chemistry.

My chem teacher told us that HSC biology is the similar to uni biology and without HSC biology, uni biology can still be done.

However, without the prerequisites, uni chem will be hard without knowing the foundations. So if you had to pick one of the two I'd say pick chemistry.
I have thought about doing both but my school only allows me to do 13 units max and if i were to do both i would have 14 units. Also the workload worries me. But thanks for your opinion.

gfav

HSC
I would suggest biology! Since you enjoy it more, you'll be more likely to put more effort into studying for it, and so you'll get higher marks :) It's also an easier subject to get a Band 6 in, and that's a key thing you must think about before you pick your subjects: "Which one can I guarantee a Band 6 in?"

The concepts are not difficult to grasp at all in Biology. In Chemistry, there's some complex calculations involved and the content can get demanding... so if you don't enjoy it, studying for it can get quite tedious. I'm doing both and am in Year 11- and I love them! Biology is definitely easier though :)
Good luck! What other subjects are you thinking of doing?
I currently thinking:
English Advanced
Extension 1 Maths
SOR 2
Business Studies
Textiles
and
Biology/Chemistry

HSC
Mmmmm... I'm doing Advanced English, Extension Maths and Biology and Chemistry out of your choices. Are you sure about Textiles? perhaps you should do both biology and chemistry instead of textiles. I can't think of where it could help you in the future! Biology and Chemistry will both really open doors for you in so many areas. Unless you REALLY love textiles and hate chemistry.. you should do both chem and bio! They really compliment each other!! :D
If you struggle with one, there's always the option to drop. But at least you know that you're keeping your options open with both sciences in there!

gfav

HSC
Mmmmm... I'm doing Advanced English, Extension Maths and Biology and Chemistry out of your choices. Are you sure about Textiles? perhaps you should do both biology and chemistry instead of textiles. I can't think of where it could help you in the future! Biology and Chemistry will both really open doors for you in so many areas. Unless you REALLY love textiles and hate chemistry.. you should do both chem and bio! They really compliment each other!! :D
If you struggle with one, there's always the option to drop. But at least you know that you're keeping your options open with both sciences in there!
Thanks very much and i completely agree with you. I have discussed it with a lot of people today and they have told me basically what you have told me. Even though i am, 'as my teachers says' very good at textiles i am not planning to become a fashion designer! Can i ask, how do you find your work load with both sciences and extension one maths?

Last edited:

Frostbitten

HSC
I think medicine they want either biology or chemistry, sciences not sure but I think they might just require 2u/3u maths.

HSC
No worries! I'm completely happy to help :)
Hahahah yes, unless you want to study fashion, then don't pick textiles! The workload.... well it started off extremely overhwhelming. I even broken down at one point because of the stress. The transition from Yr 10 to Yr 11 is so massive I just couldn't handle it at first. However, as the weeks progressed, I began to get used to everything... including the workload and it didn't seem so bad anymore. Biology is completely fine... there is no homework and it's really not much work at all! The notes you need to write can be quite lengthy and detailed, but the course is so interesting it just wipes away all the hardship with the notes and studying.... the only boring part is the plants :S
Chemistry does get heavier. There's some calculations which can get very tricky and difficult! It's really important to stay up to date with it. I'm coping fine with both sciences, but Chemistry is definitely more work. And having two sciences there means 2 sets of practicals you need to remember for your exams, and 2 first hand investigations to do!! It's not too bad if you can organise yourself.

Extension maths is honestly a killer. The amount of work and dedication needed... it's far too much for a 1 unit subject. I'm on 81% at the moment... and I can say that it does take a HUGE amount of time from my other subjects. I'll probably drop it soon. I recommend you give it a shot and then unless you're considering doing 4 unit maths, drop it and get out while you can hahahaha :) The speed at which the teacher goes is insane. She covers so many topics in one lesson. It's a struggle to keep up. Be prepared! Do some preparation during the 6 week holidays :)
sorry about the long post! Hope it helped!

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
If you're worried about workload I have a friend who does All 3 sciences, and Extension 2/1 Math. As well as others who do extension 1 math + all 3 sciences or atleast 2 sciences and ext 1 and 2. It's manageable. I think chemistry would be a better pick because it's more important to have the foundation of chemistry in year 11-12 for Med, I have friends who do med in uni currently, also like other people have said the biology is easily covered without having taken it in year 11/12. Even though you enjoy bio more it might be better but means you might have to work harder in uni learning chem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)