• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

usyd or unsw? (1 Viewer)

pindypindy

HSC
hi im interested in studying law next year.

but im in such a pickle. iv heard so many great things about the law faculty at both unis, but iv also heard some other things.

like usyd's meant to be all prestigious, but I heard that it's really quite daunting. and a lot of the people jsut feel really stupid there. And how you need to heavily rely on connections with the grades above, to be able to ge through and be an active member in their law societies and all.

so just wondering how do people feel about each respective uni. what they like and what they dont liek about studying law there?

how intesne and hard is it ? etc etc

and comments would be appreciated :p

PS haha i didnt sign up for a BOS account jsut because of this. I had one, but i think i was being quite inactive, so they deactivated :p

04er

HSC
pretty hard to get an unbiased answer on BOS, unless someone has studied at both unis

yes law is hard but then so are a lot of other degrees.

and no you don't need connections at usyd to get through (that's a stupid rumour)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I read this article that compared universities for law.
UNSW topped all of them.
Better quality teaching, better facilities, better results overall, more go off to get jobs etc

pindypindy

HSC
ahhaha do you reckon that you end up feeling stupid and incompetent when yo ustudy law . cus everyone's just so KABOOM AWESOME ?

ahahah and how intense is the study ?
how many hours of study do you reckon you need to put to say get a distinction avg ? is that reallllllly hard ?

and just , do you guys enjoy studying law ?
and what type of people do you find does well in their law studies. and later on in their law careers?

and for women do you reckon its hard being a lawyer? in terms of the long stressful hours. little flexibility . and juggling that with being a mother and having a family ?

say if you worked at a big law firm, so say mid-tier or top-tier, do you reckon yo ucould somehow work out a more balanced career with the firm, or maybe even do part-time.

hahaah sorry for all the qns. i just want to know what law is liek realistically, aside from all the prestige, just how achievable is it ?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
ahhaha do you reckon that you end up feeling stupid and incompetent when yo ustudy law . cus everyone's just so KABOOM AWESOME ?

how many hours of study do you reckon you need to put to say get a distinction avg ? is that reallllllly hard ?

and what type of people do you find does well in their law studies. and later on in their law careers?

and for women do you reckon its hard being a lawyer? in terms of the long stressful hours. little flexibility . and juggling that with being a mother and having a family ?

say if you worked at a big law firm, so say mid-tier or top-tier, do you reckon yo ucould somehow work out a more balanced career with the firm, or maybe even do part-time.

hahaah sorry for all the qns. i just want to know what law is liek realistically, aside from all the prestige, just how achievable is it ?
If we're being realistic, how are your chances for getting into either?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, sometimes. No matter how hard you work there is usually someone who works harder. Especially in your first year even those who really enjoy/are good at that sort of thing get shot down, its hard, it tests your dedication, resilience, patience, intelligence, confidence...

*You have to read 100+ pages per law subject, per week at least once (in your first year you might have to read things again to understand.
* The amount of time it takes is up to you, you read slower when you are first getting the hang of the language of law and thus it really depends, but expec it to take less time in second year.

*Depends on how long it takes you to do the readings, go to class, do the assignments which varies heaps depending on the person.
*Usually, someone who does arts law has 14hrs or so of class a week (roughly)
*Assignments for law can be between 700-4000word (the higher word limits come later in the degree) don't think though that a 1500 word assignment is easy, usually means they expect you to fit what you need 2000 word + for in that amount of words.
* Law assignments can almost never be done the night before, well if you want a good mark

I do and I don't, really I prefer working to uni. I am at the stage where I am well and truly over study, but that is the result of going straight from high school and being in my forth year. I do enjoy it though but in my experience the only people who enjoy law are those who are actually interested in it (rather than those thee for money or prestige) and who have an aptitude for it.

In my experience the only people who enjoy law are those who are actually interested in it (rather than those thee for money or prestige) and who have an aptitude for it. I cannot stress this enough!

Most big firms have some form of paid maternity leave, paternity leave and subsidised childcare. I don't imagine its easy but many do it. It all depends though on if you want you want out of both your career and family life.

I'm not sure how well this would work, it really depends but if you really want control over how much you work, you should aim to be a barrister, they can work as much or as little as they need as they work for themselves. They determine their own work life balance (I have seen this with my bosses).

I don't know what you mean?
In terms of getting in:
*It depends where and how dedicated you are, straight in you can do it with 90ish for UWS, less at UNE if you get a recommendation.
*Transfer, depends on the marks you get in first year. I do know people though with UAI's of less than 80 who are in UWS law who go in based on work experience/previous tertiary record.
*waiting to do grad law - this means you have to complete a whole degree

Getting the degree
*Well P spells degree, you can get it with a pass average, this may affect career options. Getting P's is also slightly harder in law then in arts (in my experience)
* C+ average means hard work

Getting the job you want
*This requires good grades, work experience and good extra curiculars
*also depends on the job you want, if you want to be partner, obviously this requires more hours!

Best of luck, not trying to scare you, just being realistic and honest. This is all based on my experience that may be different to others!

Last edited:

Descendia

HSC

Kind of off-track, but just what exactly is so funny? I'm really kind of confused by the amount of 'ahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha'-ing in your post. Are you legitimately asking for our responses?

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Yes, sometimes. No matter how hard you work there is usually someone who works harder. Especially in your first year even those who really enjoy/are good at that sort of thing get shot down, its hard, it tests your dedication, resilience, patience, intelligence, confidence...

*You have to read 100+ pages per law subject, per week at least once (in your first year you might have to read things again to understand.
* The amount of time it takes is up to you, you read slower when you are first getting the hang of the language of law and thus it really depends, but expec it to take less time in second year.

*Depends on how long it takes you to do the readings, go to class, do the assignments which varies heaps depending on the person.
*Usually, someone who does arts law has 14hrs or so of class a week (roughly)
*Assignments for law can be between 700-4000word (the higher word limits come later in the degree) don't think though that a 1500 word assignment is easy, usually means they expect you to fit what you need 2000 word + for in that amount of words.
* Law assignments can almost never be done the night before, well if you want a good mark

I do and I don't, really I prefer working to uni. I am at the stage where I am well and truly over study, but that is the result of going straight from high school and being in my forth year. I do enjoy it though but in my experience the only people who enjoy law are those who are actually interested in it (rather than those thee for money or prestige) and who have an aptitude for it.

In my experience the only people who enjoy law are those who are actually interested in it (rather than those thee for money or prestige) and who have an aptitude for it. I cannot stress this enough!

Most big firms have some form of paid maternity leave, paternity leave and subsidised childcare. I don't imagine its easy but many do it. It all depends though on if you want you want out of both your career and family life.

I'm not sure how well this would work, it really depends but if you really want control over how much you work, you should aim to be a barrister, they can work as much or as little as they need as they work for themselves. They determine their own work life balance (I have seen this with my bosses).

I don't know what you mean?
In terms of getting in:
*It depends where and how dedicated you are, straight in you can do it with 90ish for UWS, less at UNE if you get a recommendation.
*Transfer, depends on the marks you get in first year. I do know people though with UAI's of less than 80 who are in UWS law who go in based on work experience/previous tertiary record.
*waiting to do grad law - this means you have to complete a whole degree

Getting the degree
*Well P spells degree, you can get it with a pass average, this may affect career options. Getting P's is also slightly harder in law then in arts (in my experience)
* C+ average means hard work

Getting the job you want
*This requires good grades, work experience and good extra curiculars
*also depends on the job you want, if you want to be partner, obviously this requires more hours!

Best of luck, not trying to scare you, just being realistic and honest. This is all based on my experience that may be different to others!
Such a comprehensive answer, and also mostly true as well.

Oh and UNSW for the win. USYD has nothing on UNSW :p (Yes I've studied at both lol)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I READ the article somewhere...
I'm not going to trawl through all of cyberspace to find it for you. Do your own research or stfu :) ;)
you are unbearably rude sometimes. unnecessarily as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)