• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UTS Internships (1 Viewer)

omar_merei

HSC
I've been looking for my first internship for about 1 and a half years now and didn't find anything. (It's the engineering internship thing)

Anyone has any clues hints to finding an internship or any slight assistance?

Thanks

watiwat

HSC
I had the same problem, how are you looking for these internships?

If you're relying on I2MS, unless you have amazing grades it doesn't tend to help much. Too little jobs, too many people using it.

I recently secured my first internship [after 2 years of searching] by cold calling every engineering company i could find the contact details of.

I went on Google Maps and searched for engineering services, then just went through the hits within walking distance to a train station [I'm only on my L's] and took down the contact details of each company, and if they had a website, I also took down a few key points.

Then I went through the list one by one and asked to talk to someone about an internship possibility, usually got the 'send us your resume' spiel.

I got lucky though, and got an interview with the head of the company the next day, by the end of the interview I got the internship outright =]

Good luck, hit up anyone you can for contacts, google maps is your friend, and call as many companies as you can =D

omar_merei

HSC
Sounds cool. I had two interviews from i2ms but didn't end up getting the internship.

What's your advise on interviews. Do you remember the questions and how you answered them?

Vexrz

HSC
hmm, I thought UTS finds internships for everyone unless you want to find one yourself.

Or have I completely misunderstood what you fellas are talking about?

omar_merei

HSC
It helps you by means of providing a job advertising service (i.e. i2ms). A job advertising service does not guarantee you an internship/job.

Vexrz

HSC
o... Well I had though 1 semester of 2nd and 4th year had garauntee'd internships :L

red-butterfly

HSC
It's going to be complete bliss cold calling all those engineering companies...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)