• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UWS Law (1 Viewer)

g_dob

HSC
Hi, just today I got my uai of 85.35 and im thinking ill be doing law at UWS next year. Could anybody please tell me what it takes to transfer out of UWS and into a uni like Macquarie. Do many ppl with similar uai's as me ever transfer out???
Thanks in advance.

L

LaraB

g_dob said:
Hi, just today I got my uai of 85.35 and im thinking ill be doing law at UWS next year. Could anybody please tell me what it takes to transfer out of UWS and into a uni like Macquarie. Do many ppl with similar uai's as me ever transfer out???
Thanks in advance.
Lots of people transfer out, lots of people also transfer in.

It's not that difficult really because provided you do all your work it's not exactly difficult to get a decent GPA.

Not sure what Macquarie's requirements for transfer are, but i know some uni's you need a GPA of 6 - which means you need an average of Distinctions more or less... You're probably best to talk to advisors at macquarie uni or students who've transferred to mac uni as they're more likely to know than UWS students.

If i was transferring though, to be sure i'd want to at least get a Distinction average to make sure i was "competitve" as a lot of transfers to and from unis happen after 1st year for the same places so you want to have the best possible chance :)

Keep in mind too though - for all you know, you might end up loving the course so you may not need to transfer anyway :p

Optophobia

HSC
UWS is a recognised institution. Transfering out of it takes as much effort as transfering out of any other university.

You need to get a GPA higher than your UAI, so that the average of your UAI and your GPA is higher than the cut off for Macquarie.

I don't know what the arrangement with advanced standing is (whether you have to re-do certain units at Macquarie).

If you're going to transfer, make it worthwhile (to UNSW or Usyd). Macquarie isn't worth the hassle.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am looking at transfering to macquarie, they arent too specific about what you will need but they will give you credit for your law subjects. I am hoping my uai of 94.0 and above credit average will do it.

My advice is to get into the law program, work hard and if all else fails you will still be in a law degree :) good luck

musik_junky

HSC
melsc said:
I am looking at transfering to macquarie, they arent too specific about what you will need but they will give you credit for your law subjects. I am hoping my uai of 94.0 and above credit average will do it.

My advice is to get into the law program, work hard and if all else fails you will still be in a law degree :) good luck
hey check whether they will give full credit for everything. I've heard (and don't take my word for this) that UNSW law school is more flexible with giving credit for UWS law study.

= Jennifer =

HSC
musik_junky said:
hey check whether they will give full credit for everything. I've heard (and don't take my word for this) that UNSW law school is more flexible with giving credit for UWS law study.
yeah you are right because the degree structure at unsw and uws are very similar where macquarie do a heap of jurisprudence and other philosophy units not studied at other law schools

L

LaraB

= Jennifer = said:
yeah you are right because the degree structure at unsw and uws are very similar where macquarie do a heap of jurisprudence and other philosophy units not studied at other law schools
lol yeh - i'm yet to encounter someone who agrees with Mac's course structure...

if you're transferring, UTS or USyd or UNSW or ANU seem to be far more sensible and compatible...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)