• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UWS Law (1 Viewer)

Pink Fairy Flos

HSC
Hello
I'm currently in Year 12 and I want to do law at UWS next year. I was wondering what it is like, and whether you enjoy it. I'm aiming for a UAI of 97-98. Do you think the current UAI cutoff could go up by much?

Demandred

HSC
It's an awesome place (Jennifer, Lara B, Jonathan, back me up ! :)). I doubt it would go that high, probably stay at the low nineties.

S

Shuter

Demandred said:
It's an awesome place (Jennifer, Lara B, Jonathan, back me up ! :)). I doubt it would go that high, probably stay at the low nineties.
you left out NTB what a bastard.

Angel45

HSC
Law at UWS is so good. I love it...the seminar system is compl. awesome and the teachers r fantastic so far that I've had...

Doubt it'd go up by THAT much!!

But yeah, as I said b4, the seminar system works really well.. to be honest I couldn't imagine doing law in lecture/tutorial system... It'd be so much harder to grasp.

Last edited:

Pink Fairy Flos

HSC
Thankyou for your replies. I really want to go to UWS and do law.
What happens in a siminar system. Is it different to other universities

Demandred

HSC
I've read that most law schools adopted the seminar or saocratic system (inc Usyd and UNSW). It SUPPOSE to be 'small' classes where people discuss, reflect and contribute as a group. Believed to be a better alternative to lectures, but I myself prefer lectures.

L

LaraB

i doubt UWS UAI will go up by more than maybe a few UAI points so if you get a 97/98 you have a 99.99999% chance of getting in

It's a good course..

all just depends on what you want to do with it and what other course you're combing with it :) i do Business (HRm and IR) with the B Laws and i love the course...lotsa reading and hard work but its interesting...most people i talk to are doing B Arts (psych) or B Bus (HRM and IR) or (accounting) and generally they all say the courses are interesting and the teaching and other students for the most part are really good.

The law course is good, as it is at most unis so i'd suggest you look into the othe rhalf of your degree maybe even more than the law one since majors and units and course strctures can vary widely from uni to uni and different majors are offered at different campuses at UWS so that might influence youre decision on what to do:)

L

LaraB

Pink Fairy Flos said:
Thankyou for your replies. I really want to go to UWS and do law.
What happens in a siminar system. Is it different to other universities
basically, at UWS at least, cant speak for othe runis...

seminars are kind of a combination between a tute and a lecture i guess.... lectures being where the lecturer talks and talks and talks :p.. tutes are smaller gropus where you can discuss and ask questions..

seminars combine a bit of both although its more questioning and discussion than being talked at... depends on the size of thye class how beneficial this is... some classes get overfilled which can make it hard but the ideal sized seminar classes are really good

Angel45

HSC
Really... i wasn't sure.

I just know the ppl I know who do law at other unis have lectures/tutorials.

I spose it really does depend on the individual...

but lectures, I find, it's hard coz u don't feel "enagaged" with the lecturer... just comparing it to my communication lectures anyway...

the seminar system is 2 lots of 2hr 'seminars' a week, per unit. (At parra anyway)

bout 50 in a class and u have like 'lecturing' but mixed in with questions and discussion and stuff. kind of just feels like school, which is why i think i like it...and u can ask questions from ur 'lecturers' in the break and stuff...

L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
P.s. I predict the Uai for UWS Law to go down to around 90.
it is already (by that i mean was last year) 90 UAI so it wouldnt be going down..

most courses were between 91 and 93.75 UAI's for law in 2003 so they went down a fair bit and some campuses didnt even run coz of lack of numbers...

Spirits

HSC
N/A
I think its like 90.4...but this year in the late round it was like 96.00 or so I think

S

Shuter

Late round is in no way indicative of main round cut-offs, and are generally higher.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
I think that all UAI's cut-offs would go up for 2005, as there was a huge increase in intake for 2004, and a decline in the $ of ppl applying to uni, and the general trend has been that UAI's increase every year, which 2004 was a massive suprise in the cut-offs across the board

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
I doubt it will go that high
If it goes any higher than 90 I probably wont get in :(. I am hoping to do Law combined with Criminology...but I guess if I don't get in I can always do Criminology for 6 months and transfer...But I'd much rather getting in first go...it would save me a lot of stress :)

L

LaraB

Korn said:
I think that all UAI's cut-offs would go up for 2005, as there was a huge increase in intake for 2004, and a decline in the $ of ppl applying to uni, and the general trend has been that UAI's increase every year, which 2004 was a massive suprise in the cut-offs across the board
dont forget though that some unis are increasing/decreasing the number of places in each course so that also affects the cut offs....

i think a lot of people from what my bro in who's in yr 12 is saying, they all heard bout uws hecs going up and now are like "why the hell would i pay extra to go to uws?" coz they have the whole uws is a shitty uni thing so don't see the extra hecs as worth it... i guess i can see their point if money is an issue

L

LaraB

Spirits said:
I think its like 90.4...but this year in the late round it was like 96.00 or so I think
uac says it was 90 for everything... i guess late rounds espec at uws aren't much to go by coz a lot of people apply for late rounds who just missed out on other uni's with higher UAI cut offs so i guess that would make the cut off a bit higher i guess since i think mac's lowest one is something like 95-ish? i think? so i guess we get the leftovers fomr unsw/usyd/mac/uts applications a lot :p lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)