• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UWS Law (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

santaslayer said:
The UAI for UWS law has fluctuated significantly these last few years. It is not without reason to suggest that it might hit the 98.00 mark.

B Health Science/ LLB (705680):

2002 = 96.60
2003 = 90.10
2004 = Somewhere in the 92-94 area? (forgets)

2005= ????
guess it depends on what ones you look at...

espec given UAC categorises as B Bus/B Laws, B health science/soc. science/communication ( ithink? it 3 thingos not sure if soc sc if right) and B Arts/B Laws...so i guess some might be high and others may be low....eg as you said, B health sc/llb was 90.1 in 2003, but B Comm was 92-93 depending on campus..

does seem though that there are quite a few people not just using UWS as a "backup" for next year so maybe there will be some higher UAI entrants to boost it a bit from 2004 :)

L

LaraB

santaslayer said:
All you have to do is get all Band 5's in relatively normal subjects. Get a Band 6 in legal and your set. :)
keep in mind though that school scaling and in school marks and all that stuff does affect your end marks - eg i got 76 for raw in school mark for business n it got scaled to 93, maths i got a fab 56 in school lol which got scaled to 80 but one of my friends who went to another school got same as me for bus and 65 for maths and she ended up wit 78 for business and 60 for maths for inschool mark after scaling.

Advanced english and extension subjects always scaled well and a band 6 in those is "worth more" than a band 6 in something like business or standard english generally.

lol you should aim for as high as you can though:) all those psych peoples are always saying if you aim as high as possible you're likely t o do better than if you aim for slightly lower.:)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
keep in mind though that school scaling and in school marks and all that stuff does affect your end marks - eg i got 76 for raw in school mark for business n it got scaled to 93, maths i got a fab 56 in school lol which got scaled to 80 but one of my friends who went to another school got same as me for bus and 65 for maths and she ended up wit 78 for business and 60 for maths for inschool mark after scaling.

Advanced english and extension subjects always scaled well and a band 6 in those is "worth more" than a band 6 in something like business or standard english generally.

lol you should aim for as high as you can though:) all those psych peoples are always saying if you aim as high as possible you're likely t o do better than if you aim for slightly lower.:)
I hope so but the problem is that I do 10units and most of them don't scale well. I was doing really well in all of them last year besides English but now I am doing average...yikes
I do English Advanced
Legal Studies
French Cont
Italian Beg
& IPT

So I reckon I'll need high band fives at the very least but more than likely I'll need some band sixes

santaslayer

HSC
LaraB said:

But I only just said to get Band 5's and 6's as the end result. I left all that scaling out of my post. Lazarus can do that. :)

I did:

General Maths
2u Advanced English
Business Studies
2U SOR
Economics
Legal Studies

Got Band 5's in everything except:

Legal Studies: Band 6
Maths: Band 4 :)p didn't count, since I have 12 units :p)

I still got into the 90's.

HSC is easy if you do the work. Some don't do much and still get decent marks. :)

L

LaraB

santaslayer said:
But I only just said to get Band 5's and 6's as the end result. I left all that scaling out of my post. Lazarus can do that. :)
yeah obviously i can see that...i was simply adding to your comment that it isnt as simple as aiming for band 5's and 6's since you wont necessarily get em just coz you get equivalent raw marks to the scaled marks considered in these bands...some schools, like mine, you could get 70 in school raw and depending on your ranking end up with 95 after scaling, other schools it could be the other way around...and also especially since there's a big diff between top and bottom of each band in some cases

so just aim to do your best rather than aiming for anything inparticular coz everyone's always dissappointed with something lol:p even the 100UAi people - this guy i know who got 100 in um..i think it was 2001? was shitty coz he didnt get top 3 in any of his subjects lol

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Like Mel, I hope to study Criminology/Law at UWS next year. Hopefully the UAI doesnt increase too much, if at all.
With the scaling, does you assessment mark get scaled up if the people from your school do well? I hope so, because my school gets marks above state average for every subject I do, and I am topping, or am in the top 10% for every subject thus far.

S

Shuter

LaraB said:
yeah obviously i can see that...i was simply adding to your comment that it isnt as simple as aiming for band 5's and 6's since you wont necessarily get em just coz you get equivalent raw marks to the scaled marks considered in these bands...some schools, like mine, you could get 70 in school raw and depending on your ranking end up with 95 after scaling, other schools it could be the other way around...and also especially since there's a big diff between top and bottom of each band in some cases

so just aim to do your best rather than aiming for anything inparticular coz everyone's always dissappointed with something lol:p even the 100UAi people - this guy i know who got 100 in um..i think it was 2001? was shitty coz he didnt get top 3 in any of his subjects lol
You don't get Band's in your school marks so hence his point is completely valid, it is only moderated assessment marks which you get back from the HSC which actually have the classified bands so stop attacking what he's said.

You should never use the percentage mark you get in your school asessments for anything, at all, ever. Anyone who does that is moronic.

L

LaraB

Shuter said:
You don't get Band's in your school marks so hence his point is completely valid, it is only moderated assessment marks which you get back from the HSC which actually have the classified bands so stop attacking what he's said.

You should never use the percentage mark you get in your school asessments for anything, at all, ever. Anyone who does that is moronic.
how about you go back and re read carefully what i said before you are so rude.

i didnt attack what he said, i simply added on to his point in saying that there's things to keep in mind when deciding what you wanna aim for. i didnt say i was attacking him, i didnt infer i was attacking him so dont tell me that i did.

LaraB said:
just coz you get equivalent raw marks to the scaled marks considered in these bands
where did i say that you get banded marks in school? i said marks equivalent to those considered in the bands ie certain bands generally contain marks of 90+ etc

dont lecture me on how the hsc works...obviously i've done it so i know all that

the % marks you recieve in school are useful, particularly at a school like the one i went to, as the in school tests were harder than hsc exams so if you get back say a 50% in school % its no where near equivalent to a 50% in a hsc exam. UAI median for most years is 97 or higher, so using the % marks you can compare yourself with people with similar marks in prior years to see where abouts you rank in the school and the state.

besides, you're just agreeing with me in ur post anyway - i said that the in school marks themselves aren't an indication of the marks you'll get rather you can use these once considering other factors to make estimations..

geez...before you're so rude read the post properly....

Demandred

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Like Mel, I hope to study Criminology/Law at UWS next year. Hopefully the UAI doesnt increase too much, if at all.
With the scaling, does you assessment mark get scaled up if the people from your school do well? I hope so, because my school gets marks above state average for every subject I do, and I am topping, or am in the top 10% for every subject thus far.
You should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)