• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

validity...etc (1 Viewer)

crammy90

HSC
experiment: place a raw chicken bone in a sample of each of acid, water, fire; to remove calcium to test the flexibility of bones after these conditions have taken affect on the raw bones.
Accuracy: as it is not quantitative is there no accuracy to this?
or would it be measuring the exact volume for solutions, measuring their exact conc etc.
reliability: if i say my whole class did it and got the same results (acid made bone flexible, burning brittle and water nothing) is that reliable? or does reliable mean like 1000's of tests and what not?
validity: so i have developed the perception this involves considering your experimental method to determine if what you have done has given you the outcome you are wishing to find (i.e. is your experimental design going to give you a value that answers your aim). Also involves ensuring you only change the independant variable (solution) so the dependant(flexibility)'s results can be a pure reflection of the variable changed.
for this experiment would validity be: our experiment was valid as it shows how the nature of a solution affects the bones flexibility. Only one variable was changed, the rest kept constant so it is again enforced to be valid as the method used gives us a reflection of how these conditions affects flexibility.
(would it be right to say it wasnt done in STP so not entirely reliably)

and would
a) going this but with different concentrations of the solution increase reliablity (reliability) or validity (experimental design).
b) the fact the results were recorded in a subjective manner affect accuracy or reliability

thanks for any1 that answers

hamzie

HSC
crammy90 said:
experiment: place a raw chicken bone in a sample of each of acid, water, fire; to remove calcium to test the flexibility of bones after these conditions have taken affect on the raw bones.
Accuracy: as it is not quantitative is there no accuracy to this?
or would it be measuring the exact volume for solutions, measuring their exact conc etc.
reliability: if i say my whole class did it and got the same results (acid made bone flexible, burning brittle and water nothing) is that reliable? or does reliable mean like 1000's of tests and what not?
validity: so i have developed the perception this involves considering your experimental method to determine if what you have done has given you the outcome you are wishing to find (i.e. is your experimental design going to give you a value that answers your aim). Also involves ensuring you only change the independant variable (solution) so the dependant(flexibility)'s results can be a pure reflection of the variable changed.
for this experiment would validity be: our experiment was valid as it shows how the nature of a solution affects the bones flexibility. Only one variable was changed, the rest kept constant so it is again enforced to be valid as the method used gives us a reflection of how these conditions affects flexibility.
(would it be right to say it wasnt done in STP so not entirely reliably)

and would
a) going this but with different concentrations of the solution increase reliablity (reliability) or validity (experimental design).
b) the fact the results were recorded in a subjective manner affect accuracy or reliability

thanks for any1 that answers
for what dotpoint is this prac

crammy90

HSC
hamzie said:
for what dotpoint is this prac
its was just the easiest example i had to draw to when asking my questions. Its from senior science lol
i was asking for this prac as it is more simpler than the ones in chemistsry and im not asking it for senior science other wise itd do that in that forum, just wanting to know about accuracy and what not and used it as my example

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)