• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Western Sydney - Extra marks? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My teacher told me something weird.... apparently people living in western sydney get extra marks for their uai simply due to the disadvantage... of living in western sydney lol

is this bs?

Kurby

HSC
N/A
Why the hell would you living in Western Sydney give you extra marks???!!!!

Disadvantage..... lol

:rolleyes:

If thats true, message me, cause i wanna move there. :D

Last edited:

Kurby

HSC
N/A
Does that mean guys get extra marks too because in general we're dumber. :p

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. If people are dumber then they deserve lower UAI's.

untamedanimal

I think you may be talking about the RET (Regional Entry Test) where people living in "disadvantaged zones", including in tafes or high schools or home with the post codes listed on
http://www.uws.edu.au/about/adminorg/academic/oar/info/admissions/regionalentrytests#Eligible

can apply:
Students will be given a competitive rank based on their performance in the test that can work like a UAI in allocating offers to UWS. For this rank to be used students must:

-achieve a UAI of no more than 10 points below the 2003
published cut-off for the UWS course to which they wish to be considered. *
-list a UWS course/s as one of their preferences to UAC.
-Once students have satisfied the criteria, their RET score if higher than their UAI will be used during the 2004 UAC offer rounds.
*Note: 10 points are NOT added to either the UAI result or the RET score

See the web site for eligibility and more details

From what ive heard its sort of like an IQ test

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well i dont know about UWS, but I know students from within a designated post-code area recieve an extra 4 UAI points to their total when being considered for a course at Newcastle (for example, if you get a 80 UAI, and you want a course that is 82 at Newcastle, you will get in...however, if you want a course that is 82 at say Sydney, you wouldn't get in)
Perhaps there is similar for UWS
EDIT: this is for students within the Newcastle/Hunter regions...I'm not sure how far it extends though.
The Regional and Rural Preference Scheme which assigns a notional four additional UAI points to direct school leavers who complete their HSC at a school in the Hunter or Central Coast region, includes schools in the northern and western borders of NSW in recognition of the effect that rurality and isolation have on students' preparation for the HSC.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I'm sure its due to being in the catchment area - Macquaire does it for 5 UAI points - also if more than ~50 students went to Macquarie the previous year you can apply for it as well:D .
Apparently ~10% of people in Western Sydney hold bachelor degrees or higher whereas in the East and North its ~20% - I guess that disadvantages the westies/bogans (that includes me:mad: )

EDIT: My post code is on the disadvantaged list - yes:rolleyes:

Last edited:

untamedanimal

Yeh mine is too, although i dont see why. But i guess its for some, as long as they dont do like one guy i know and forget to mail the application form in time.

kimmy5

EAS

i'm not too sure what u guys are talking about but i know that if you go to an underfunded school or something, you're eligible for EAS- ur uai isn't necessarily increased but certain universities do take into account your school's 'disadvantage'

should speak to your career's adviser

untamedanimal

What we are talking about is the fact the UWS offers a test called RET in which students who gained a UAI which is below the cut off, but within 10 of it are allowed to take this test, and the results of this test will be used to determine whether a student will make it into a course at UWS. The student must be living in cartain post codes to apply, and has to pay a fee, about $120 i think to do the RET.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)