• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What did you learn in English? (1 Viewer)

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
I thought I'd take a pre-emptive strike and do some studying beforehand. But, I have no idea as to what I'll be learning in English, so if anyone can offer an insight, that'd be great. Thanks. :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Every school will study different texts, just about. You should have asked your (future) teacher before school ended. You could start finding some good belonging related texts though. Might I recommend taking a look at the illustrated short story: Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan... specifically the story named 'Distant Rain'.

Watch a few good movies and try to take a look at some questions from Section I of Paper 1 because you can probably do some of it now with knowledge of Year 10 techniques.

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
Cool, thanks!
But sections of what paper? Where can I find some prelim english papers?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well see the prelim papers and HSC papers are essentially except with a different set of study. I only just realised that you're in Year 11 next year, so you'll be doing journeys. I think for my related texts I chose Mona Lisa Smile and something else that wove in very nicely with that.

If you want some good practice on 'Journey' check out the HSC Advanced English papers from 2004 - 2008; they will have questions relating in each section of the paper that you can get some nice practice on.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Cool, thanks!
But sections of what paper? Where can I find some prelim english papers?
You probably won't be able to find any prelim english papers because all schools teach different topics.

The HSC english exam is split into paper 1 and paper 2, paper 1 being the Area of Study (Belonging) paper, and paper 2 being the modules.
In paper 1 you've got 3 sections: section 1 (short response based on unseen stimulus), section 2 (composing), and section 3 (responding).

So what Aqua is suggesting is that you could start doing some of the short responses in section 1 of paper 1 because it doesn't really require any memorising or real knowledge, it's just about being analyse texts well and knowing how much to write in the given time frame.

Can you find out what topics/modules you're going to be doing in year 11? Often schools base their year 11 topics off the year 12 ones, ie, we did individual and society which is similar to belonging, and I ended up actually adapting one of my year 11 composing tasks in the HSC exam because it fit really well. So that's what I was going to suggest, maybe come up with some composing ideas?

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
Mmm, if I talk to some Year 12's of 2011 about what they did this year, would that give me an idea of what I'll be covering next year?

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
Well, I found out the texts I'll most likely be doing, if that helps at all?
Utopia
American Beauty
Of Mice and Men
Othello
T.S. Eliot's poetry

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Utopia
American Beauty
Of Mice and Men
Othello
T.S. Eliot's poetry
I did 1984, Othello and TS Eliot's poetry too! Umm, hmm. I found that in year 10 they don't really emphasise the importance of context, but it's vital in year 11 and 12, so you could do a bit of reading on your composer's historical/social context etc.

Have you read the texts? If you haven't, you might even get more value out of the text if you have a read of the context stuff before-hand.

But... you've just finished year 10, right? You should seriously relax these holidays, it will be the last time you actually can, guilt-free.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Utopia
American Beauty
Of Mice and Men
Othello
T.S. Eliot's poetry
Way to list all the books on my epic list of reading. These are classics, and if you analyse these correctly in HSC English, you can do terribly great.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
And for the lazy student, they're pretty much all movies as well.

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
Haha, sorry about that Aquawhite. I think I'll go visit the library day after tomorrow and borrow a few of these books and do some reading. I'll also look up some of the context behind the books. Thanks guys! :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
For advance I did T.S. Eliot Poems, Taming of the Shrew and Fahrenheit 451. In extension I did Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Edgar Allan Poe's story stories, Dorian Gray, Robert Browning poems and Psycho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)