• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What do I do in a networking event? (1 Viewer)

crowley926

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm going to the institute of international affairs' careers evening and they have a networking with careers advisers, young professionals and international organisations segment that goes on for like an hour.

But having just graduated from high school with like 0 real world careers experience, I don't really know what to do or how to act. I mean I've prepared questions about graduate experiences, career prospects etc. but am I meant to make 'contacts' with them? Do I ask for calling cards?

Is there an etiquette? How do I introduce myself - do I just say my name or do I preface with what I'm doing right now (which is HSC)? What do I even wear (I was thinking black pants and a jumper but is that too casual)?

Any other tips would be appreciated too :) THANK YOU !!

Also I'm sorry if this stuff seems like common sense but I really just wanna make sure so I don't embarrass myself :uhoh:

astroman

HSC
You talk to people and get their info, maybe score a job in the future if you stay connected.

crowley926

HSC
sit in the corner, enjoy some nibbles and drinks.
This is exactly what I did. Tried to get some wine but freaked out. Managed one measly conversation but it was so awkward so I just went home early.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Avoid drinking too much is my tip. There's plenty of networking for uni student guides out there - it's really just a chance for you to meet people, share something about yourself, and you never know where you might see people again in the future.

Also be careful what foods you take from the freebies - some are easier to eat whilst talking/networking than others. Usual tip is if it requires both hands to eat or has a high risk of dripping onto your attire, avoid it.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Don't worry about doing it "correctly" at first. Learn through experience is my suggestion.

Just open by walking up to them and saying "Hey, my name is x" and do what feels natural from there. You'll eventually get the hang of it after a couple times and it'll become easy.

You've had conversations before right? You're pretty much just formally conversing with these people (mainly about industry topics - but i've talked about cities, cars etc. and you will too). Don't think of them as above you and you should be fine.

As for how to keep in contact with them, some people use business cards. I think that it's an age long passed now that Linkedin exists. As such, i pull out my phone and say something along the lines of "It's been great chatting with you, could we exchange linkedin contacts to keep in touch"

Each networking event has a dress code. Follow it. Usually at least a collared shirt and pants is required.

I've begun to see networking events as very within my comfort zone lately. They're not a big deal.

Last edited:

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
This is exactly what I did. Tried to get some wine but freaked out. Managed one measly conversation but it was so awkward so I just went home early.
My suggestion is to also never do this when you're in a new environment. Gain as much experience as possible with what you're given.

crowley926

HSC
My suggestion is to also never do this when you're in a new environment. Gain as much experience as possible with what you're given.
Haha yes I will take that on the chin - I'll make the most of it next time :D

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly. Just whip it out. Suck on that corporate dick as much as possible. Boost their egos. Then the killer line is: netflix n chill? At this point you have secured yourself an internship. And in a few years time you make the other person your bitch. Game set match. Rolling in the cash

crowley926

HSC
Honestly. Just whip it out. Suck on that corporate dick as much as possible. Boost their egos. Then the killer line is: netflix n chill? At this point you have secured yourself an internship. And in a few years time you make the other person your bitch. Game set match. Rolling in the cash
words to live by

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)