• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What do you do with your Reading Time? (1 Viewer)

jniranjan

HSC
For Business/Geo/Physics, I do the multiple choice. I can do about 1/2 of them during reading time.

English, I have been just skimming over each essay question. I think in the future, I'll just stick to one, and plan out the essay in my head for just that one essay.

Maths. I don't even know what I do. My mind gets cluttered with numbers, and I can't really think. Really should have done the circle geo problems in my head. Grr

michaeljennings

HSC
For Business/Geo/Physics, I do the multiple choice. I can do about 1/2 of them during reading time.

English, I have been just skimming over each essay question. I think in the future, I'll just stick to one, and plan out the essay in my head for just that one essay.

Maths. I don't even know what I do. My mind gets cluttered with numbers, and I can't really think. Really should have done the circle geo problems in my head. Grr
Lol how come you have a red bar how did you get that

tambam

HSC
Lol how come you have a red bar how did you get that
Haha I think he got neg repped too much.

But anyway at the guy above who said hsc has stricter supervision, I've heard that people at our school last year spend like an extra 10 minutes writing essays cos the supervisors are dodgy and spend heaps of time collecting papers, so they just sit right at the back.

And the other dayy during 2u maths, I went to the bathroom which is at the back of our exam centre, and since they can't supervise you while you're inside, I realised that hypothetically you coulld ssneak notes in your pocket or something and then go to the bathroom and rread them. Not that I would do that though, but people could.

After all, apparently in our school someone snuck in a whole english essay and jusst handed it in....but they found out and started giving us weird paper.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Haha I think he got neg repped too much.

But anyway at the guy above who said hsc has stricter supervision, I've heard that people at our school last year spend like an extra 10 minutes writing essays cos the supervisors are dodgy and spend heaps of time collecting papers, so they just sit right at the back.

And the other dayy during 2u maths, I went to the bathroom which is at the back of our exam centre, and since they can't supervise you while you're inside, I realised that hypothetically you coulld ssneak notes in your pocket or something and then go to the bathroom and rread them. Not that I would do that though, but people could.

After all, apparently in our school someone snuck in a whole english essay and jusst handed it in....but they found out and started giving us weird paper.
Wierd paper? You mean like another test?

Hmm yeah thats true about the toilet thing, like someone could get out there phone in their pocket and use the web or something to find help lol. But At my school for our trials if you had to go to the toilet I think you have to hand up your paper and say your done.

Another thing when you look up and around the exam room for a stretch, why do teachers automatically all zoom in on you? I have come to the conclusion that they can't tell if a hand went up or if a head moved with their peripheral vision.

Can you get penalised for just looking around the exam room?

tambam

HSC
Wierd paper? You mean like another test?

Hmm yeah thats true about the toilet thing, like someone could get out there phone in their pocket and use the web or something to find help lol. But At my school for our trials if you had to go to the toilet I think you have to hand up your paper and say your done
Haha naah, our paper 1 had a love heart punched to the corner of every writing page, ad our paper 2 haad a star.
And our school ONLY let's you go to the bathroom durinng exams...they were like, if the exam is over, then you need to hold it in..howw does that make sense

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually if its subjects like business studies or economics or english which incorporate long extended responses and essays. I'd first quickly look at the questions as my first priority rather then looking at short answers or m/c because i find them the most valuable and obscure in exams... I plan in my head, then when the reading time has elapsed i would write a structure in the exam quickly :)).. and my best techniques/points on a separate paper.

Or if im lazy to do planning i normally do the multiple choice questions not in my head , but i got a strategy which doesn't incorporate using any pens or writing material cos that would be against the regulations o_O in an exam and would jeopadise your mark.. i use my nails and kind of scratch the answer =.= hard to explain on the internet, need a illustration rofl.. but far as i know i never get in trouble for it o_O?? so yeah i finish multiple choice questions in 5-10mins in the exam and normally get 17/20 - 18/20

khfreakau

HSC
paper 1 eng: read stimulus texts as quickly as possible, but first read the questions that pertain to them. then read creative/essay questions when i finish.
paper 2 eng: read all my qs and determine which one i'd get most fucked by, and immediately think of what i'm going to do about it
3u/4u maths: read the paper in progression and take note of any hard questions which i might have trouble with, and try to mentally work them out in my head if i can.
phys: find the 5+ marker, determine if it'll be a problem, then go back and do mc in my head.
eco: go through and determine which question requires what knowledge, make a decision on which extendeds I'll do, then do as much of mc as i can.

jniranjan

HSC
Lol. I got no idea tbh. I hardly post on here anyway. Maybe when the site got hacked? Anyway, its funny how most papers recommend 35 mins for multiple choice. Most papers, I only need 10-15 mins. I usually remember which answers I pick for multiple choice, so I don't need to scratch it on. In papers with multiple choice, is there really any point in going through the extended responses/short answers during reading?

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Go through all the multiple choice in Phys and Chem
Skim through in math
Comprehend just how completely fucked I am for English and silently cry for the remaining 9 minutes

mangoz

HSC
Lol. I got no idea tbh. I hardly post on here anyway. Maybe when the site got hacked? Anyway, its funny how most papers recommend 35 mins for multiple choice. Most papers, I only need 10-15 mins. I usually remember which answers I pick for multiple choice, so I don't need to scratch it on. In papers with multiple choice, is there really any point in going through the extended responses/short answers during reading?
You gotta remember that they expect an average person to do it in 35 minutes. Our teacher even said to us that we should spent a max of 15 minutes on economics multiple choice and leave enough time for short answers so we get one hour each for the essay responses, which i did do LOL.

To the OPs question

Economics -> take a look at essays, short answers - usually ill think for 1 - 2 minutes about one of the short answer questions that may be a bit perculiar but usually it's pretty straight forward in which i go to the first page for multiple choice and just do them in my head.
Business S. ^ same thing basically
Mathematic / 3u -> Just look through, see if anything troubley comes up before working out the first question in my head
English Adv both modules -> For belonging I decide how I'm going to integrate my creative and then look at the essay. Yeah i do it differently to other people, I do the comprehension 2nd so i can get a breather for my wrist and a fresh first read. For the module papers I usually look to see which one is the hardest / if one of my memorised essays in my memory bank fits in any of the questions. If one of them fits i usually just write it out so I basically gain a few minutes. Then i work on the hardest question and then finish off with the medium question.

English extension -> For the trials i just loled at the profile they gave us LOL. Basically I just see how to plan my responses since there are only two questions.

I HOPE THAT ANSWERS UR QUESTION THOROUGHLY, please ignore grammatic or spelling mistakes as i am really ceebs right now.

Wow this post took longer than i expected.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Paper 1 - read creative question, then essay question if I'm unsure of either, try to make a plan in my head. Then read the texts in section 1.
Paper 2 - find my questions, read them and form theses.
Bio, Chem and maths - read from back to front and if I am unsure of anything take a mental note.
SOR2 - essays and form answers in head, tradition short answer and make sure what I know (pick which religion I'm going to do for which section), both short answer questions for section 1 and then mulitchoice but I usually don't have time.

HSC
Uni Grad
I just sit around thinkin about random shit trying to entertain myself waiting for it to end.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I just sit around thinkin about random shit trying to entertain myself waiting for it to end.
Yeah, reading time is pretty useless imho. They should just give us 5 minutes extra working time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)