• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is "soft law"? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask what exactly a 'soft law' is? As I'm having trouble understanding the given explanations in my texts and from google - I'm not even sure if a soft law is actually a law...:confused:

It'd be wonderful if any of you law minded individuals could lend me a little clarity on this situation.:)

EDIT: Sorry for the pushy thread title:eek:

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Re: Hey, 'soft law' question

This may sound stupid...but how can it be a regulation if it cannot be enforced? Is it not then incapable of regulating an action and thus pointless? Or is it more an expression on what various states see as 'a pretty good idea that they cbb'd to legislate'?

BillytheFIsh

HSC

It's "law" in it's loosest sense. Like all international "law". Sif anyone listens to that.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

So in summary its something along the lines of an ideal rather than a law which is proposed by multinational agencies?

agentprovocater said:
Kami what are you studying?
If you mean the degree, Communication (Writing & Cultures) at UTS, if you mean the subject, Media - dealing with what rights the media has to communicate and how this can be properly defined through law.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC

kami said:
This may sound stupid...but how can it be a regulation if it cannot be enforced? Is it not then incapable of regulating an action and thus pointless? Or is it more an expression on what various states see as 'a pretty good idea that they cbb'd to legislate'?
International law is by its very nature voluntary. The concept of state sovereignty, which states that every state has the authority to exercise its own will, renders the prospect of enforceable international laws impossible. Most nation-states, however, recognise that they have obligations under international law, and generally live up to them (e.g. most rulings of the International Court of Justice, the UN's prime judicial organ, are in fact obeyed).

I wouldn't say these soft laws are 'pointless'. International law is more about trying to cultivate a global culture based on its ideals, not enforcing them in a draconian fashion. You can't really compare national and international legal systems, because they're not trying to achieve the exact same ends. The theory goes a little something like this: today a nation-state might become a signatory to a treaty such as Kyoto, and tomorrow it might, owing to the pressures of international conformity, embody it in its domestic legislation. Baby steps.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'd just like to extend my gratitude to everyone who contributed, you've all been very helpful. Thank you.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)