• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is the best option? (1 Viewer)

ellen.louise

HSC
Depends on what course you want. Your assessment mark will be treated better if you are at a better scoring school.
bugger it's raining... oh wait... that's a good thing...

yea...

I'd say make the move, because the more pressured environment can push you a bit harder. But if you're one of those people that is very likely to snap under pressure, be careful. K?

HSC
Well just because your school has a history of scoring poorly in HSC doesn't mean YOU will. Just think about that.

helper

HSC
N/A
This is very dependent on you. If you are going to apply yourself and top your year in each subject, then the rest of your school has no effect on you.

If you work better in a "hot house", where you are striving to beat everyone else and raise according to the level of the competition then you may be better off at a selective school.

HSC
NicholasTribbia said:
Yeah of course but my main fear is that the school might not be the best learning environment, plus it doesn't offer a few of the subjects im interested in doing.

O and one thing if anyone can confirm or clear up.
My friends and classmates tell me that my UAI will be higher at a selective school where as at my current school it could be dragged down?
It could be dragged down in the sense that the learning environment isn't quite stimulating so you can't perform your best. But if you top your school in everything then you are in complete control of how good your UAI will be.

Anyway, based on that post I say move schools. You have so much more to gain.

ellen.louise

HSC
watatank said:
Well just because your school has a history of scoring poorly in HSC doesn't mean YOU will. Just think about that.
technically you shouldn't be dragged down by your school. If you're obviously way above the standard of your school, it should be okay. The only issue there is that if the standard of the students at your school is pretty low, the assessments will probably be less challenging, so whatever you score as your assessment mark would be less valuable to you. I'd say make the change, but if you choose not to, make sure you are performing your absolute BEST in the HSC exams.:)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ellen.louise said:
technically you shouldn't be dragged down by your school. If you're obviously way above the standard of your school, it should be okay. The only issue there is that if the standard of the students at your school is pretty low, the assessments will probably be less challenging, so whatever you score as your assessment mark would be less valuable to you. I'd say make the change, but if you choose not to, make sure you are performing your absolute BEST in the HSC exams.:)
Moderation wins out in the end overall, so the assessment mark will just help get the high ranks :)

P

pLuvia

If you know you will get the highest external mark (in the HSC exam) then that will become your moderated assessment mark hence your HSC mark will be the average of those two added together. That's if you are ranked first in all your subjects, so regardless of how your school does it won't affect you IF you are ranked first if not then they may drag your marks down. So in your case if you think you can cane the HSC exams, then I'd say stay, if not then IF you can move to selective then do so, except your marks may not be higher than if you stayed

soras2

HSC
Hey! I go to Bonnyrigg High School too & i can definitly understand how you're feeling. Yes i agree with you, Bonnyrigg isn't all the very best & if you want to be more challenged yes, why not go to a selective school. If you choose to leave it's best you do it before year 11. I would've left if i could, i still want to but i find it a little late now i don't want it to interfere with what i've done already.

But i mean if you are topping & you enjoy Bonnyrigg stay i mean atleast you'd beat many of the people in your grade. I'm not sure if you've heard or not but theres been a few people in the past years that have done very well in the HSC and they attended Bonnyrigg too. But school ranking wise and how it affects your HSC im not sure how it works but selective schools are probably a great opportunity you'll have to work hard because i'm sure the environment and how things work are going to be quite different to Bonnyrigg.

Whatever your decision is goodluck! And work hard =)

jbax89

HSC
soras2 said:
Hey! I go to Bonnyrigg High School too & i can definitly understand how you're feeling. Yes i agree with you, Bonnyrigg isn't all the very best & if you want to be more challenged yes, why not go to a selective school. If you choose to leave it's best you do it before year 11. I would've left if i could, i still want to but i find it a little late now i don't want it to interfere with what i've done already.

But i mean if you are topping & you enjoy Bonnyrigg stay i mean atleast you'd beat many of the people in your grade. I'm not sure if you've heard or not but theres been a few people in the past years that have done very well in the HSC and they attended Bonnyrigg too. But school ranking wise and how it affects your HSC im not sure how it works but selective schools are probably a great opportunity you'll have to work hard because i'm sure the environment and how things work are going to be quite different to Bonnyrigg.

Whatever your decision is goodluck! And work hard =)

true that... if you enjoy getting smashed in the head with bins...kids running around with knifes and shit out the front of school stay there but i'd move tbh... bonny seems to be pretty run down these days :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)