• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is the best trilogy of books or series? (1 Viewer)

sarevok

HSC
George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is the best book series I've read. :)

Argonaut: It will be interesting to see if you still regard WOT as being so great once you're up to around book six. Like you, I once thought WOT was a fantastic series...

sarevok

HSC
Good for you, IMO books 1 to 4 are brilliant but Jordan's immobile plot and pointless descriptions have made the more recent books unreadable for me. I think that's quite a commonly held opinion too, if you look at the reviews on amazon.com for Eye of the World (4 stars) c.f. to Crossroads of Twilight (1 star).

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'd have to say His Dark Materials is my current favourite, but there are many others that are up there, and I'm waiting for the Harry Potter series to conclude before I compare it and Pullman's trilogy.

Hitchhiker's Guide started brilliantly and went downhill as the series went on, sadly. The Tommorrow series and the Obernewtyn Chronicles were both excellent, as is the Discworld saga, but none of them match up to His Dark Materials for me. :)

I_F

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Yeah I'd have to say Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials is BY FAR the best I've ever read.
Also agree with the Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn Chronicles and Pratchett's Discworld.
Others I love are Anne McCaffrey's The Chronicles of Pern and the Acorna series, all of Ian Irvine's Tale of 3 Worlds series, Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings , Douglas Adams' The Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy , Brian Herbert's Dune series (The ones writtten by his son I dodn't like as much) and of course C.S Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia , which was probably the first series I ever read, and I could never say that they're not some of my favourites!
Hmmm and I'm supposed to be doing my HSC this year...Maybe I can just get paid for reading all of my books over and over?

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Most of mine have been said, but I really enjoy The Wheel of Time (come to www.wotism.net all you WoT fans, and become Wotists!), A Song of Ice and Fire, the Thomas Covenant series, LotR, Dune, The Dark Tower, Discworld, and to a lesser extent Obernewtyn.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Oh, you know it. :D He's the best character! *weaves a ring of fire and earth*

Boom crash bang. I rule. *crosses arms and looks cool*

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Dragonlance by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (its inspired by the D&D game) is the one of the best fantasy series.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
Harry Potter series definitely...or maybe coz i havent read any other series'...oh i have read the deltora quest series but that was alright

HSC
In search of lost time - Proust
(A la recherche de temps perdu)

It's one of those series which you read a few thousand pages thinking WTF? and then settle into it as if it were your own life.

pretty pink

HSC
gordo said:
i liked the tommorow when the war began series wen i was younger

more recently i'd have to go with the enders game series or the matthew reilly books
i agree....the Enders Game books are great....
i had to study the first in the series for yr11 English....i liked the first one so much that i read the rest..

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
jhakka said:
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglass Adams
Farseer Trilogy - Robin Hobb
The Bitterbynde - Cecilia Dart-Thornton
yup, you gotta love the trilogy that has 5 books; Hitchhikers.... i love that

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Obernewton series by Issobelle Carmody
the Tomorrow When the War Began series by John Marsden
the Ghostop trilogy by Libby Hathorn
the Chronicles of Narnia
the Exiles trilogy by Melanie Rawn
Harry Potter
LotR
the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (up to the 9th book!!!!)
oooh, soo many i know and i cant think of!!!!!!!!!!1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)