• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What makes a 'bad' English teacher? (1 Viewer)

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know the characteristics of a 'bad' english teacher in relation to how they teach, and advice and feedback they give? I am really questioning my English Advanced teacher - she tells us that she had over 9 years of experience in the course but usually during class we only do research since she gives us plenty of sheets on Othello for us to complete at home but doesn't go through them with us. So basically, what makes a bad english teacher and also how can this contrast to a good one?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Does anyone know the characteristics of a 'bad' english teacher in relation to how they teach, and advice and feedback they give? I am really questioning my English Advanced teacher - she tells us that she had over 9 years of experience in the course but usually during class we only do research since she gives us plenty of sheets on Othello for us to complete at home but doesn't go through them with us. So basically, what makes a bad english teacher and also how can this contrast to a good one?
Check out the extension 2 thread by hayhay

Sounds like he has a shit english teacher lol

qwerty44

HSC
A good teacher is one that you learn best from. By the sounds of it, she isn't a very good one if she can't go through work done and you're not learning.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Check out the extension 2 thread by hayhay

Sounds like he has a shit english teacher lol
Yeah I read that post before making this thread. I don't know what to do anymore. English is really failing me right now...

Also, I have a new english extension teacher who is very skilled and has plenty of experience (taught at ruse in 2011) who gave us a perfect essay structure in class and went through with it. There are plenty of readings and I made many notes which were helpful but the distinction from our advanced teacher is that she goes through them with us. Since the class is smaller, there is enough time for her to answer our questions as it is an after school course for us and she isn't scheduled for other classes...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Teaches how to think and write, as opposed to what to think and write.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Teachers who provide feedback that doesn't make sense are bad teachers.

But, seriously it's so hard to judge whether an English teacher or not due to the tastes and preferences in English.
Some teachers expect a different structure to others (I've experienced this). Like, strict markers expect a different approach to an essay question to the more lenient markers. This becomes a problem when one teacher tells a class to do something then when someone else marks that class's essay, they receive low marks because the marker is not pleased with whatever the students did. While, the same marker who marks their own class's essay will be giving them the higher marks as they did the more 'right' thing in the marker's opinion.

Some teachers give you an unreliable grade on a prepared essay (pretend B+ or A) then when you go into the exam feeling confident, you get smashed (maybe, a C).
I, myself, know that my Advanced English teacher is bad while my EE1 teacher is good.

Then there's the problem where you wonder whether your English tutor is good or not.

That is the major problem of English. In Mathematics, Science, History and Social Science, etc. it's much easier to tell whether your teacher is good, average or bad.

I guess my post will be argued against but seriously, I hate the level of variability in English.
There will ALWAYS be a small level of bias and subjectivity in marking and teaching no matter how hard teachers try to be fair across the board.
We're humans after all.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
When their first language is ~not~ english.

When it takes the teacher half an hour to explain a poem about consumerism, class still doesnt get it, then i do it in 30secs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)