• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What School Certificate? (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
I just want to check I'm not totally deluded and that these reasons for me not caring about my SC are valid:

• I am not leaving school
  • The SC does not count toward my report
  • The SC does not go toward any school awards
  • The school does not receive my raw marks..
  • The SC has nothing to do with the HSC
  • If I know I can't fail - there's no reason to study.
  • There's nothing at stake except your own ego.
Right?

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
nandayo said:
I just want to check I'm not totally deluded and that these reasons for me not caring about my SC are valid:

Right?
valid as ever ;)

Beege

HSC
well i do think the school gets ur results, since i got a band 3 in english, I got put in the dumb standard english class this year, it really sucks and not many ppl in my class can spell properly and are too lazy to do work, however I am the complete opposite who does the work but my results are not the best probably cauz I havent really taken english seriously in the past few years but I am taking it seriously at the moment because english affects your UAI heaps. And I was originally gonna be put in the top standard class before the SC but my SC exam result changed that dammit!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
nandayo said:

Right?
wowanormal08er.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
nandayo said:

Right?
Right. And good on ya. :)

HSC
N/A
nandayo said:
Right?
It's your own choice.

Most people don't care all that much anyway. It's just BoS people who freak out.

Combined with the fact that most of it is quite easy....

H

housemouse

Beege said:
well i do think the school gets ur results, since i got a band 3 in english, I got put in the dumb standard english class this year, it really sucks and not many ppl in my class can spell properly and are too lazy to do work, however I am the complete opposite who does the work but my results are not the best probably cauz I havent really taken english seriously in the past few years but I am taking it seriously at the moment because english affects your UAI heaps. And I was originally gonna be put in the top standard class before the SC but my SC exam result changed that dammit!
You cant just magically be smart if you bludge for some years at school. Most of the more able people do advanced anyway.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
true. true. true.

er but i guess if you want to boast a little come uni scholarship/job offers time then scoring a clean sweap band 6 might help in your application. past that though it should be nothing.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Finally. Proof that the SC really is just all hype and nothing counts till Yr12. Nandayo- I'm with you 100%.

Artemis.

HSC
Our Principal gave us a big lecture the other day about how important it is and how we should take it seriously, and spend the weekend studying wisely. He didn't manage to convince me though.

DekarTyphon

HSC
Uni Grad
I know enough to know that it doesn't take much effort to hit the higher bands if you've paid attention at all this year. I've done some light study, but I just can't see myself needing to do much more than that.

iEdd

HSC
It IS only an SC, so those who drop out are the only ones who need good marks, but then again, those who drop out won't get good marks anyway. Catch 22.
What sucks about my school is that you need 82 (or considered on application) to do advanced english. It's also their indication of what class you will be put into.
Also, if you want a casual job while doing your prelims or the xmas holidays, a good SC result will look good in a resume, seeing as at that stage, it IS all you have.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Already got a casual job and a fair few awards, so don't really need it for that.

But what's this about uni applications? I thought your UAI, portfolio and interview where the only real factors? Do people REALLY pull out SC marks? Is it going to matter if you get a UAI>98 and your SC marks were Band 4-6 and not all 6's. Cause that's my estimate for my results

iEdd

HSC
I don't think universities care too much about any achievements prior to year 11 and 12. I mean, they might be curious, but your current attitude and UAI is much more important than 2 years ago. Maybe a solid history helps someone get a principal's rec. which in turn helps them get into uni?

PrettyVacant

HSC
Yeah, but it'd really suck if I didn't get band 6's because my teachers are always like, "Oh yeah, I expect all of you to get band six."
:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)