• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to learn in (1 Viewer)

osamabanana

HSC
The new landcruisers are not actually any longer than a commodore so i assume the old ones are much the same. I learn't in a falcon first then drove a patrol and it wasn't any harder really (just slower). Then when mum got a new peugeot it was so easy to drive although i always parked heaps out from the kerb cause i was used to bigger cars

F2001

HSC
Azamakumar said:
Actually I reckon the landcruiser'd be better because it would be easier to see shit from the first time you take a car out. That said it'll be a big step down once he drives something else.
But very poor vision at the rear and the blind spots are much larger than any sedan.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
dont be lazy, drive the mazda. you're going to have to drive a manual sooner or later so you may as well start now. that way when u buy a car u wont have to worry about the transmission.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
ah im gonna start in the falcon. get control of the car first.

eventually (like after about 20 or thirty hours) ill have a go at the manual, cause i wanna drive one. my dad (and many other friends) say that you havent really driven until uve driven a manual :p

Damn it i wish it was a better car then a mnaual :(. not that i really care, its just a starter car.

We might be getting a Volkswagon Golf at the end of the year. i know you can a "GTI" model, which is turbo charged. are there any rules against P and L platers driving turbo charged vehicles?

iEdd

HSC
L platers can drive anything, including cars propelled by jets that run on kool aid.

P platers cannot drive cars with 8 or more cylinders nor can they drive turbocharged and/or supercharged cars unless they are diesel. I *think* this rule is waived if there is a supervising driver in the car, otherwise it would be a step down from L plates.

F2001

HSC
forget about those rules, If you can drive sensibly they don't care. The cops havn't caught on the euro cars at all much. They still pick on Skylines etc...
I've been driving a mild turboed car (audi) for 8months now.

anyway mk5 GTIs are fat. Good potential though.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
toyota landcruisers are horrible to drive when you start learning, cause they're so big and take up more of the lane = not as much room for error, kinda scary. At least the falcon isn't as tall. Just sitting closer to the road can help.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
iEdd said:
Bigger to smaller = easier.

Driving NOTHING to big car = hard.
lol, the logic is incredible here. Apparently going from a sedan to an SUV is hard, but going from no driving experience to an SUV, then back to the sedan is both smarter and easier?
HAI GUYZ LETS LISTEN TO THIS DUDE INSTEAD OF THE OTHER 10 PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED WHO HAVE BEEN DRIVING SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER THAN HIM

Starting off is going to be hard either way, so it doesn't matter which you're in, but if you get used to driving a big car then a small car is easier.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
iEdd said:
L platers can drive anything, including cars propelled by jets that run on kool aid.

P platers cannot drive cars with 8 or more cylinders nor can they drive turbocharged and/or supercharged cars unless they are diesel. I *think* this rule is waived if there is a supervising driver in the car, otherwise it would be a step down from L plates.
Driving with an adult in the car doesn't waive the rule, it is a stepdown.

iEdd

HSC
Riet said:
HAI GUYZ LETS LISTEN TO THIS DUDE INSTEAD OF THE OTHER 10 PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED WHO HAVE BEEN DRIVING SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER THAN HIM
Aren't you the one that thinks that an old skyline is a sensible choice in a car? ;)

Edit: If you go from nothing to a big car, you will get used to it eventually, likewise with having no experience and going to a small car. Best thing to do is to get comfortable driving all the cars in your family then get really good at driving the one you intend to be your primary car. :)

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Skylines are an awesome choice.
Edit: Except you get pulled over a lot.

F2001

HSC
expand on it Riet, defected alot too, for ridiculous things.

People swapping out FMICs for the standard SMICs, taking off pod filters (LOL) for 1 day, in order to pass the test they have been "charged" with.-> Is not a rarity.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It's pretty simple: Skylines are awesome fun to drive.
I'm not talking about turbos because obviously you're not going to get away with it, even if you haven't got a front mount intercooler. Most cops (especially highway patrol) know what a turbo looks like.

nessaja27

HSC
siddharthlaha said:
Hey everyone, i'm just starting to drive. But i dont know what car to learn in, cause we have two.

Ford Falcon or Toyota landcruiser?

im guessing falcon would be easier, but i was told that the toyota has heaps good control and stuff.

thoughts?
definitely the landcruiser, im not sure if you've noticed, but everyone thinks that L platers are a guaranteed accident.
so people over-take you, etc.
when you're in a 4wd, people give way to you coz you're a big mean mother fucker,
take my advice, i learnt in a holden jackaroo.
and it was perfect, people respected me.
now i drive a honda prelude and im a green p plater and people still respect coz i fucking speed past them.
but the point im trying to get across is the bigger, the better. for you!

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
learn in the cruiser, as long as its newish and still goes alright
cause then if you hit anything you kill it and are pretty protected yourself. like other cars for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)