• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

whats a GPA? (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
i heard at macquarie the highest GPA is 4.
and you need a 2.5 GPA in order for internal transfers

some one please explain.

and also other unis the highest GPA is 7... wat da hell ????
dont all unis use a standard system?? arghhh !!! confused

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
gpa represents your average mark. each grade you get has a weighting of 1 to 4, 1 being the lowest, 4 being the highest. a HD is worth 4, and D is worth 3 and Cr is worth 2 and a pass is worth 1.

lets say you do 4 subjects in semester 1 and get 2 D's a Cr and a P. the total would be 2*3 (the D's) + 2 (the Cr) + 1 (the P) which is 9. that number is then divided by the number of subjects youve done (in this case 4) and 9/4 = 2.25 which would be your gpa.

if you did 4 subjs and got all HD's its 16/4 = GPA of 4

Majesty

HSC
N/A
At Macquarie, a HD and Distinction count for the same value in terms of your GPA.
An easy way to calculate your GPA (assume all the units are 3 credit points).

4 = HD/D
3 = Credit
2 = Pass
1 = Conceded Pass (PC)
0 = Fail

You add them all up for each unit and divide by the number of subjects you did.

For example, say i got 3 distinctions and one credit for 4 subjects.
My GPA would be 4+4+4+3=15
15/4 = 3.75

Hope that helps.

doe

HSC
N/A
d's are 4?

woot :>

whats the point of hd's then?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Macquarie system for Internal transfers and Honours.
Other system for External transfers and Honours.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by doe
d's are 4?

woot :>

whats the point of hd's then?
I asked the question last year... and my answer was - no point. I asked the question a couple of months ago with my results on hand, and my answer was - postgraduate studies elsewhere. Which is why I'm going for broke when I return to uni.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Wot numerical mark is a credit equal to? I've heard >60%, is that rite? And i assume a pass is >50%?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

But they're Standardised Normal Grades (simply Scaled).

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
So that means when u get a exam mark in uni, its already been scaled, & not the raw mark?

Wot mark do most ppl get? & how hard is it 2 get a credit, do u have to work at the HSC level of intensity?

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
ThanX 4 the link iambored, but it didn't answer my Q of how hard u have 2 work 2 achieve if u wanna achieve a credit average.:confused:

doe

HSC
N/A
45 - 49 = CP
50 - 64 = P
65 - 74 = Cr
75 - 84 = D
85 - 100 = HD

i think. im pretty sure 65 is the base mark for a Cr.

how much work depends on your subjects and stuff, in general with four subjects i find theres probably more work than the HSC but 0 stress so its not too bad.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It depends what units you undertake and what you're capable of. I found I was capable of cramming (as in not read the textbook for the whole of a semester... except maybe a total of 10 pages... and not attempting tutorial questions) most of the popular units, such as ACST101, ECON111, ACCG100 and ACCG101... and still manage at least a Cr.

However, studyin' Actuarial Studies meant that I had to work to another level to compete with my peers in such units as ACST151, ACST211, MATH133 and STAT171.

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AcStyle*
So that means when u get a exam mark in uni, its already been scaled, & not the raw mark?

Wot mark do most ppl get? & how hard is it 2 get a credit, do u have to work at the HSC level of intensity?
Well the department takes your raw marks from assesment, exam etc and then yes the uni determines a SNG for you. A bit like a UAI.

Most people get pass. Remember at uni you shouldnt really be a study freak you should enjoy it, whilst grades are important they're not as critical as making contacts to various people etc. Credit isn't very difficult. General rule is try to attend all your classes, that way you wont have to do any work @ home because you'll understand the content.

On another note, most units ive done were about understanding not cramming/insane studying. So it's mostly about concepts.

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dingo2004
hey dat sux if you got 80% in da exam by got scaled down to a pass coz everyone else got 80%

=(
I have never seen a unit or heard of a unit where everyone got 80%. Once again, just do your best.

The_Almighty

jus wonderin, how hard would it be to get a HD in terms of work load, is there a certain % who get a D, C, P etc at mac?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah there is a certain % from what i have heard, but it's different for every subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)