• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

when are we meant to make our uni timetables (1 Viewer)

finishedhsc2009

HSC
i heard you can make your timetables as soon as the offers come out

they say the sooner you make it the better chance you have of getting a timetable to suit your needs

Andi0390

HSC
You are going to be put in the same lectures regardless...so the only thing you have to worry about it tutorials (or pracs, or labs or whatever your unit has like that).

I did first year Arts at ANU and the way that we chose our tutes were different for each subject. For Sociology and Phil I think that they handed around paper in class and your wrote your name, contact details and your top three preferences out of the available tutorials. There were maybe 10? For Poli Sci you did it online through a tute thing but it only opened after they had explained it in the first lecture. Gender Studies I think you wrote your name on paper on a notice board - first in best dressed.

Either way, none of them we could do before we started attending lectures, although it is worth looking into it. Its great when you have well timed tutorials.

HSC
^^^ That seems such an old fashioned way to do it.

All of my subjects have an online activity selection. We just log in on a certain date, pick the tutes that we want, and there's our timetable. However, once a tute is full, no one else can pick it. Thats why its important to log in early (ie, for Semester 1 I logged in at around 10am and some tutes were already full, but for Semester 2 I had to be really picky in order to get a decent timetable, so I logged on just before midnight and chose).

But it really does depend on what uni (and even what faculty).

Simo91

HSC
When we first enrol, do we have to pick both semester 1 and 2 timetables? or just semester 1 for now?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
When we first enrol, do we have to pick both semester 1 and 2 timetables? or just semester 1 for now?
Again, depends on the uni. MQ everyone logs on, on the same date and picks BOTH semesters tutes. At UWS they stagger the dates by faculty and you only pick semester 1 and semester 2 is later in the year.

As you can see the uni and the course differs greatly for this.

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
I like the way UWS arranges lecture and tutorial timetable selection, mostly DIY, but I hate the competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)