• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which "next gen" console are you most interested in? (1 Viewer)

???

• Xbox 360

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • PC

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Collin said:
The XBOX360's Xenos is essentially an early ATi R600 with 48 unified shaders. Each shader can do 4 shader ops per clock and the GPU is clocked at 500MHz, so we get theoretical 48*4*500,000,000 = 96 billion shader operations per second. Throw in the 10MB on-die EDRAM and the effectiveness of how ATi and Microsoft eliminated memory bandwidth bottlenecks.. the XBOX360 essentially gets 4xFSAA for FREE. Finally, the XBOX360 doesn't get bogged down by shader idling like the PS3's RSX when say, vertex heavy situation comes up, thanks to it's unified architecture. The RSX on the other hand is essentially an NVIDIA NV47 (a.k.a 7800GTX ~ 7900GT). So I ain't surprised the XBOX360 holds up fairly well against the PS3.

One thing I never worked out from all of Sony's hype is how the RSX cranks out 1.8 TFLOPs. Not sure of all the little tricks their marketing department pulled out of their arses but rest assured it isn’t a type of a performance this GPU will ever really achieve. The X1950XTX with 24 more pipes pushes out around 500 GFLOPS, so for a less advanced GPU with significantly less raw power dishing out 1.3 TFLOPs better performance can be best summarised as 'wishful thinking'.

And don't even get me started on Sony's Cell marketing BS!

I say, 360 and Wii for the win (if you're a console man).
hahahhahahahahahhaha i can honestly say i only understood two lines from that. i am sure that in a few years ps3's graphics could theoretically be better than what is possible for the 360. but then again developers are saying that the 360 is the easiest console ever to develop for, so maybe not.

Today I also saw someone playing some motorcycle game on ps2. i laughed. the graphics are sooooo horrible compared to the 360. ive forgotten how much graphics have advanced since last-gen (probably because i bought into the whole 'next-gen isn't that much better argument). I also bought silent hill 4 and put the game into my 360 - the graphics are nauseatingly bad. *hugs next-gen*

I'm actually very interested in final fantasy (infinity), being a maaassive FF fan. I'm even buying a ps2 after i come back to australia from the us just to play ff12. But overall, $1000 vs. $650. The choice is easy.

Also, I just realised that moto gp 06 isn't early as I said. It was apparently released in June, 06 (which seems wrong. im pretty sure i played it earlier, but hmm oh well). However, pgr3 graphics completely 'pwn' that ps3 game.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lolz im not a fanboy, but atm, with its price, the 360 sounds like the best option (along with the wii, hell you could buy a wii + 360 for the same price)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
haha considering i bought a ps2 at launch and played it constantly for aaaages until eventually a lot of the games stopped interesting me (and at that time i didnt have enough money for a console that couldnt really be modchipped)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
:(
the answa is dat the wii's graphix pwn all da oder contsoles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)