• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which option should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Will Hunting

HSC
I've recently transferred schools and, for some reason, have been granted the discretion to actually choose, myself, the Physics and Chem options I'm to undertake. At first I thought this sounded cool, but, perusing the syllabuses and weighing each topic against the others, I've been hard pressed to put my foot down and actually commit to an option in both subjects.

If anyone's had any experience with any of the options (probably only secondary school graduates) in Physics and Chem or knows anything, useful to me, about them, please post in this thread. I'm looking for the options that are the least work-intensive (due to the time I've lost in changing schools) and that make it easiest to pick up marks in the trials and HSC exams. Thanks heaps!

tennille

HSC
Well I did astrophysics. I enjoyed that because I like astronomy. You learn about the evolution of a star, types of binary stars, telescopes and there is a bit of maths involved (only a bit).

For chemistry, I did Shipwrecks. You have to remember heaps for that, but I'm assuming that's true for all of the other options since chemistry is a really detailed course. You learn about rustin, what causes it, how to prevent it, electrolysis, electrochemical cells and how they prevent rusting, different metals and the rate at which they rust. A lot of practicals are involved in Shipwrecks (about 7).

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
4 physics i did the age of silicon, it is so so so easy and i happen to like the topic also but yeh i mean depends on what u wanna learn and what is avaliable from the school.

HSC
Quanta to Quarks is heaps boring apparently
Astrophysics looks interesting,
our school is making us do medical physics which looks aight (X rays and shit)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Choose an option that is done by a large number of candidates (eg quanta in physics and shipwrecks in chemistry). They are more stable in terms of the difficulty of the questions in the HSC.

Will Hunting

HSC
How do you mean stable? You mean that the BOS tailors question diffuculty to canditature size, or that popular options are subject to better scaling? (I was pretty sure scaling was only applied to whole subject outcomes, rather than parts thereof, but I'm just trying to understand what you mean)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Id say Q2Q is the easiest and probably the one with the most maths. Heaps of it is covered in previous core topics, the only real new thing you learn is about some scientists and what they did.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
actually i guess it depends on u.. which core topics did u like?

if u like ideas to implementation- go with quanta to quarks

tennille

HSC
Yeah....choose whatever you're interested in because the chances are you'll go well in them. Just look at the options in the year 12 physics/chemistry books to gain an idea of each option.

Riewe

HSC
Actually, the astrophysics one is very, very good. I remember when i did it, there was not at all that much to remember and learn, and what you did learn was kinda easy. Also, generally questions in exams are very predictable for this topic, so it should be easier come exam time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)