• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which to do JPN250 or PHIL264 ....? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I can't decide between JPN250 - Modern Jap. Society or PHIL264 - Business and Professional Ethics...

JPN250 - is just a 2hour lecture per week, no tutes, dunno about the workload.. but its 3CP
PHIL264 (external) - looks like more work involved as i've seen the unit outline because its 4CP aswell ...

i wouldnt be able to make it to any JPN250 tutes and im not sure if they have iLecture.... plus i cant find there unit outline..

PHIL264 looks like quite abit of work for a elective

what do i doooo

X

xeuyrawp

JPN250 would be risky unless you had a big interest in Japan... I bet that 95% of the students are either fully into Jap stuff, or are doing Japanese. The handbook says that students should be encouraged to have interests in Japan or Japanese. That's a pretty big hint.

PHIL is terribly strenuous(?), but at least there'll be some less hardcore students than in JPN250. PHIL subjects tend to involve huge amounts of reading and understanding, and since it's an ethics/morality unit, you'll be up against people who understand the difference between metaethical cultural relativism and moral pluralism and other generally wanky ideas that have no real bearing in this horrible world of ours. /emo

Why are you looking at these far-out subjects? Sorry to be all negative, but yeah. :( What about some politics or history units, or something? I'm more cautious with my subject selection, so call me boring.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
oh gosh i'de do jap between those two...

but iw ouldn't expect to get good in it... i remember doing geos111 society, environment something.... and it sounded interesting but i only just passed it due to the the diminishing interest in the subject, so yeh i agree what pwar said... don't do jap unless ur interested in it

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PHIL264, would probably be more to your liking. Given it'll be more of a 'philosophy' focus, you should understand the concepts and be 'enlightened' on various views :) (Since it IS ethics, and business ones at that, it'll be considerably 'drier' than say religious or scientific moral/ethic units)

HSC
hmmm.... I' chose these two because i'll be working full time next semester and i won't be able to come to uni at all .. so i need somethiing external or something which just offers lectures and no tute's ...

JPN250 might be the way to go since i am doing international business .. something with a country on a subject would look good...

PHIL264 looks hardcore... but it is offered externally ...

POL units look extremely unappealing to me.. and i think i'd just pass em ...

this is just an elective that i'm trying to choose if you have other options of subjects post em up.. with when they'll be offered and the pre-req... thanks guys

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
for my elective i chose educ105... its offered externally but u have to goto two workshops during the semester though and they go for a day each i thinks.

I really really enjoyed it.. its educational psychology- it does focus on education alil too much for my liking but the principles u can applicable to general psychology which i think you might be interested in. Hey why don't u try psy105? introduction to psychology 2... do u meet the pre reqs for it? if so, definately do that... u can do all of that through ilecture as most psyche students on here can tell you :)

just pick a nighttime tute :)

HSC
oooo it has to be 200-level also LOL

i think i'll choose PHIL264 .... i'm aiming for a credit sooo i think ill go ok... i'm really good a essay writing and the argumentative side of things aswell .. so i think its PHIL264 .. and thanks rob for the other message..

anne 200-level examples? thanks ppl

HSC
i just saw AUST200: Australian Perspectives: Representing Place, Nation and Identity .....

its offered externally and its 4CP ...

now i cant decide between PHIL264 and AUST200 what are your opinions ppl... needa make a decision real soon... :(

X

xeuyrawp

What about HIST244? Forgive me if I'm biased, but I think people should learn about WW2 in a proper (read: not school) context. Also, Hsu-Ming is a groovy lecturer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)