• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Who does French - or couldn't form a class for it? (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
Okay, I don't do French myself, but I was just curious as to what Senior French is like for those who are doing it? What is the workload like (I still have this percetion its pretty light because there aren't any essays or research projects)? Do you have any regrets?

My regret is that I didn't do it. I really miss it, and we had greatest teacher ever. I still go on French excursions even though I don't do it because my friend decided to do it through the Open High - all on his own (which he totally regrets and blames me for). We needed a class of four and could only get three, and I figured a boring subject (like Geography) was better than an immensely enjoyable one without a teacher.

I miss French.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
I'm in year 12 doing french. I would rather have done geography but i really liked french. Then at the start of year 11 i wanted to switch to geo but they wouldn't let me cos then they would have to cancel the class. So yeah, i like it, but i'm not very good at it. It's a lot of fun, 5 of us in the class (all girls) and we had the best teacher ever. But she retired at the end of last term (1 term before our hsc... we could have killed her!) and now we have another teacher who is really young but really sweet. So yeah, i like french even though i'm not doing well at it, it's been a great 2 years!!

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
French is a relatively light subject. The only thing that's heavy are the constant tests on vocab and grammar which happened to me. But yeah, French is fun, especially when you get to go to France with the class ;)

afta???

HSC
i am a naturally bad linguistic.......yet i miss the junior years of languages

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I do French Cont, and we have a Swiss exchange teacher and everything, but the work is crap and I don't like it any more. I don't know what happened to my pre yr 11 obsession with France and all things French. :(

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
bustinjustin said:
What is the workload like (I still have this percetion its pretty light because there aren't any essays or research projects)? Do you have any regrets?
It's actually pretty relaxed in comparison to other subjects. There aren't any assignments, no major projects.....

The only catch is that you have to revise your work consistently to be able to grasp all the different (and complex!) grammatical concepts etc.

bustinjustin said:
We needed a class of four and could only get three, and I figured a boring subject (like Geography) was better than an immensely enjoyable one without a teacher.
Similar situation at my school, except in order for me to do French for the HSC I had to compromise with the school and settle for a combined "Beginners/Continuers" class. Not exactly the most desirable situation, it screwed everyone over last year anyway- 80% of the class dropped out because it just didn't work. Consequently we are left with one beginner and one continuer (me). Funnily enough, the school is still required to timetable 8 lessons a fortnight because essentially it is two separate classes. But, I got screwed over again because my teacher left a few weeks ago, so now I only see her once every week. :rolleyes:

I realise that my experience with HSC French will be completely different from anyone else's. But bitter experiences aside, it's a really enjoyable course. If you enjoyed the language in the junior years you'll most likely enjoy the HSC course.

malkin86

HSC
I found that I learned heaps of grammar stuff in yr 11/yr12 that I hadn't learned before.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I do French Continuers and find it quite interesting, if you like Languages and french its a gd subject to take +sides no assignments and only exams downsides r exams speaking listening and reading writting...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)