• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Who here wants to study law @ uni? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melsc said:
What do expect if you spam and attack my members?
Promotion to admin for being the most hilarious person on that board?

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Ya reckon I can smooze the admittance ppl to get in...U can put in a good word 4 me.

Do u suggest criminonology...whats it like?

When you get into you uni, the rule generally is you only deal with admin when you need to lol, nah they are ok, some students have nightmares over dealing with admin but thats the fun of red tape.

Criminology is great, I am enjoying it thoroughly. So far I have learnt crime theories, models of criminal justice, the legal system in terms of achieving justice and currently am doing a policing unit in crime prevention which deals with the measures, models and strategies used to prevent offending. Other studies include Forensic Science, Psychological and Sociological studies, drugs, juvenile crime, etc... I also did an investigations unit which I loved, its a mixture of policing and law. So in summation, it's a great path to take and a diverse one at that.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Jonathan A said:
When you get into you uni, the rule generally is you only deal with admin when you need to lol, nah they are ok, some students have nightmares over dealing with admin but thats the fun of red tape.

Criminology is great, I am enjoying it thoroughly. So far I have learnt crime theories, models of criminal justice, the legal system in terms of achieving justice and currently am doing a policing unit in crime prevention which deals with the measures, models and strategies used to prevent offending. Other studies include Forensic Science, Psychological and Sociological studies, drugs, juvenile crime, etc... I also did an investigations unit which I loved, its a mixture of policing and law. So in summation, it's a great path to take and a diverse one at that.
Sounds good coz i am still confused abt wat to do with law...ya know?

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Sounds good coz i am still confused abt wat to do with law...ya know?

Jenn is the best person to speak to about the Business side of things - I prefer the theorietical stuff. Whilst I keep away from business (hence also encourage people to do so as well unless they can take it), I do enjoy business law and even mentor it, so that's my situation.

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
The hard part 4 me is a have a lot of vaired interests like languages, IT...etc...I dont mind business as well

hmm UWS is following what I think is a good trend. It is removing courses which combine sciences with law that are not related. (People will hate me for this, but if law students or prospective law sudents want a job in the future, read on)

The problem we have in today's law industry and many judges like Kirby J have noted it too, is that respect for legal practitioners is little. Lawyers are associated with those in the USA. "Lawyer" isn't even a real term in Australian Law, if you like its more americanised, and generally means someone who has studied law and graduated, that's roughly what the LPAB give meaning to it as.

So what implications has bad publicity have on us law students or hopefuls?

Firstly we as a community are scared of litigation. We think it's a plague coming down to haunt the innocent individual who is being sued by a person who only wants money. Many of these people who fear litigation often are the ones who have never opened up a Law Report and read WHY a judge has awarded damages. Law and in particular, torts law has become too political. We often say we'd rather the elected parliament decide on what is a tortious wrong, but what parliament wants is the rhetoric as seen by Bob Carr when he passed the Civil Liability Act which has had some shocking effects on Torts. The CLA ammends the Legal Profession Act so lawyers now who bring a case that is not strong can be disbarred - how is that for conveying your client's rights?

With this, it means there are less jobs for lawyers, people are not excercising their right to sue. There are negativities associated with it, however torts is about merely shifting loss to the person who is responsible. Less jobs also mean lawyers have more time for administrative duties, hence less need for paralegals or clerks. The traditional means from law studies to the bar are becomming smaller thanks to less litigation.

This brings us onto the new trends. I tend to dislike degrees which can qualify people into more than one profession in some ways (i stress that). If you graduate with an accounting/law degree and become an accountant and not a lawyer, then you have an advantage over other accounting graduates. Plus your employer can double-up on you. If a legal problem occurs, a lawyer will not be consulted as the accountant can already do this. It's an advantage and cost-effective, but it means where lawyers once had a role, this is diminishing. Again I note there are exceptions to this. But given the exceptions through the CLA and our hatred of suing, it means a negligent accountant may not be sued if it can be found that the Act gives some room for them in this regard. It gets very unfair.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
but the thing is that if we do not combine law with some other course. we may not have a job in the future. it is merely covering all our bases. we want to earn a living.

monique66

yeah but you could do law and another subject later on, but you're probably better off doing them at once

Jonathan A

HSC
wrong_turn said:
but the thing is that if we do not combine law with some other course. we may not have a job in the future. it is merely covering all our bases. we want to earn a living.

As I said, 'to some degree' (and i stressed it and I even bolded it). The fact is you would need another degree or some form of other study to accompany law. The most common forms are business, arts or social sciences. There are other areas that at one stage were common, such as Engineering and Sciences. My point is that employment prospects cave in on others if you are up against a person with a law degree.

In my opinion, those who seek a law degree, take up a spot in the lecture halls, should aspire to a law-related job. Why? Because there are too many people walking around with law degrees and are not in professions related directly. In the long run it means law graduates can't find work because we have accountants who are lawyers, engingeers who don't need legal advice and the complications grow. It is more fitting to have a lawyer who knows about accounting, because he would still need to an accountant if he was seeking an expert witness. This is the situation.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I agree in the respect that I feel that too many people take law for the wrong reasons:
1. Coz they get a high enough UAI
2. they dont know what to do
3. coz their parents made them
4. prestige

therefore they UAI is pushed up so high because of the demand and thus people who really want to do it miss out, and people have law degrees which they dont use or drop out half way through because they hate it!

roadcone

HSC
I agree with this.. There are a hell of a lot of people who want to do law simply because at Syd Uni it is 99.6 and therefore must be a fantasic course, but in reality they actually don't reallly need it and end up not using their degree

also on a tangent, i don't actually really have any real desires to do law, but yeah

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
I agree in the respect that I feel that too many people take law for the wrong reasons:
1. Coz they get a high enough UAI
2. they dont know what to do
3. coz their parents made them
4. prestige

therefore they UAI is pushed up so high because of the demand and thus people who really want to do it miss out, and people have law degrees which they dont use or drop out half way through because they hate it!

Hear Hear,

I concur.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
heaps of people doing law with me hate it, but of course... they're not getting as high marks :D

edit: Education would solve the problem, often people make their uni choices... well some before they even get their uai, but alot of decisions are made in the like 4 weeks between getting ur uai and ur choices.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
heaps of people doing law with me hate it, but of course... they're not getting as high marks :D
my god, could your ego be any bigger...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)