• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Who is Australia's best recent Federal Treasurer? (1 Viewer)

Who is Australia's best recent Federal Treasurer?

• Paul Keating

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Peter Costello

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Wayne Swan

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Joe Hockey

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

mreditor16

HSC
It has to be Keating. Without his reforms in relation to reducing and removing tariffs, and floating of the dollar, Australia would not have experienced the vast improvement in competitiveness and economic conditions that we have seen over the last few decades.

Costello was responsible for managing an economy which was taking care of itself. Not to mention the fact that the IMF rated him as Australia's only profligate spending treasurer in recent times. Not even Swan got that award. It was Costello who cut taxes and introduced family tax benefits which are now causing the structural problems in the budget... which are being blamed on Labor (Liberal logic).

While Swan got us out of the GFC, the spending programs were poorly targeted and did not contribute to Australia's future productivity. I agree with his decision to spend as much as he did but it could have been better directed.

And Hockey... well he can't go a week without insulting some disadvantaged group, can't put a budget together that doesn't unfairly target the poor, young, homeless, unemployed, sick and elderly, and insists on blaming Labor for all his woes a whole year after the election.
I personally completely agree with all this. especially in light of all the economics I learnt in hsc economics.

jdennis

HSC
If I had a dollar for every time he said his usual generic line - "we're getting the ... budget ...back under control"
If you had a dollar every time he said that you could get your own budget under control quite nicely :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)