• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why do alkenes have lower MPs and BPs? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
mitochondria said:
that looks just fine (I tend to say put inter- or intra- before molecular though, molecular is kinda obscure to me, I actually had to read it three times :p but I guess it does imply intramolecular) ^_________^ hey slidy, what did you mean by when you actually knew some chemistry? I remember you used to have some amazing Chem things to say last year.. so you should know more Chemisty now? :confused: not less?
Thanks. Good point.

Lack of confidence, I guess. I'll build it up eventually. It doesn't help that while most people were doing Acids, I was doing Shipwrecks. :rolleyes:

But also I think we have a lot of good chem students (HSC and uni) on these forums, so I tend to come too late even when I can help out. :p

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
umm.. I'm studying hard to keep up with Chem :p and I'll be staying for quite a while.. or so it seems ^_________^ anyways.. you neeeeed confidence :p go on, yell "HSC occidebis!" a few times and you'll be fine :) it feels like you're going to do great anyway ;)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ok did we reach a common conclusion abt why saturated hydrocarbons have higher bp/mp as comparing to unsaturated?!

i think i got a pt there... tho ... =S

nit

HSC
It's just a combination of the two major ideas in this thread- alkenes have lower BP/Mp than alkanes because a.) there are less atoms present in the non-polar alkene as opposed to alkane leading to lower van der waals' interactions, and b.) the rigidity of the double bond entails that the activation energy for double-bond rotation is much greater than that for the flexible, weak, longer C-C bond, meaning that in general, alkenes will tend to have kinks in them (think fatty acid chains for example). This in turn means that there will be less overlap of alkene molecules vs alkanes which leads, once more, to lower van der waals' forces between alkenes and alkanes.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hm flexibility in single bond... i missed that... =p
u go nit ^^

btw, how's maths goin?! =p

nit

HSC
maths is going fine atm, xiao - I have a feeling it's going to take off soon with matrices and the linear algebra course starts next week I think. We have a 1902 quiz week after next but it's only on vectors so it won't be too difficult I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)