• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

why write # aftter an answer? (1 Viewer)

henry08

HSC
N/A
I am reading an old maths book (Maths HSC: 50 exam tips) and after every answer (the final answer), they write '#". Is there any reason for thsi or is this just to signify that thsi is the final answer etc?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Its just to say that it is the final answer. You'd usually put it after a proof question.

I usually put # after my answers, or sometimes I write QED.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol wow, interesting - never knew this, only QED.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
henry08 said:
I am reading an old maths book (Maths HSC: 50 exam tips) and after every answer (the final answer), they write '#". Is there any reason for thsi or is this just to signify that thsi is the final answer etc?
I have that book too, Jeff has to signify some way he has finalised his answer for that question.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
#, QED, underline, highlight, circle... They all basically mean the same thing - "this is the final answer". QED makes you look smart, though.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
henry08 said:
Um, whats 'QED'?
Quod erat demonstrandum = that which was to be demonstrated. A Latin phrase that is usually put after proof questions. Its not used a lot anymore, but it does make you look smart...

henry08

HSC
N/A
Ok thanks. So Is it better to underline the answer or place an # after it?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
henry08 said:
Ok thanks. So Is it better to underline the answer or place an # after it?
It really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you indicate that it is your final answer. I think the best thing to do in the HSC is highlight it, because its easy to see, but that's just my suggestion.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i just usually put a box around my final answer. haha

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I usually....don't write anything special.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
squeenie said:
It really doesn't matter what you do, as long as you indicate that it is your final answer. I think the best thing to do in the HSC is highlight it, because its easy to see, but that's just my suggestion.
Nah, I wouldn't highlight it (you do mean using a highlighter right?). That just wastes precious exam time and it might blind your poor examiner. You should just stick with the old # or QED (although QED is largely used after proving things).

me121

Premium Member
HSC
yeh i'm only aware of QED for proofs. although sometimes a small coloured in box is also used (to mark the end of a proof).. both are a bit old fashion though.

rochelleee

HSC
nahh everyone
QED actually stands for 'quite easily done' :D

lol. jks anyway # means 'as required'

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I am also a big fan of the boxes, buts with proofs i like to put QED.

P.S. QED also stands for Quantum-Electro-Dynamics, which is a branch of Quantum Physics ;)

jet

Banned
HSC
They say you shouldnt use QED because it is actually quite rude to use. I spoke to my maths teacher who marks HSC's and he said its not good.

And even if it does make you look smart it may backfire if you get the proof wrong.

In a proof i would normally say as required or nothing at all. They know youre done and it saves time.

I just come off to the examiner that it is as if you are trying to say that they are to dumb to notice you are finished. And, if you set your working out like you are meant to then they would know anyway.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I usually write (as req.) after proofs....... otherwise nothing unless my working has been a bit all over the shop in which case i will circle or box my final answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)