• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Will Economics overwhelm me the next 2 years? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have heard that there is heaps of content. I don't really have a good memory. I love Eco and I want to do it, and I don't think I shouldn't do it just because I can't remember stuff easily.

Any tips/advice on how to memorize heavy content?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, firstly;
Yes it is a content heavy subject but many humanities are; but its principles build on past ones and it's all interconnected. It's not a rote memory taska t all even with the content, you have to understand trends + links, you can't just raw memorize it.

Secondly:
If you love and want to do a subject, then do it. Normally indicates you can perform well in it even if you haven't yet.

But third disclaimer:
I loved Commerce as a subject but I did not love Economics. So if you're basing it off then you may be surprised. However, it is an interesting subject if you are interested in how economics operates in the world.

s_bilgrami89

HSC
if you have a good understanding of the concepts then the only thing you really need to remember is some stats

carpe_diem

HSC
Firstly, yes. There is a lot of content. Esp. in the HSC course. BUT, that does not mean that just because you can't remember things easily, that you should not do it. Memorisation is a skill that you will learn throughout your prelim and hsc years. or, maybe memorisation isn't the best method of you. Try other study methods like repetition or flash cards.
Secondly, what everyone else said: if you love economics then you won't mind putting in the hard work to remember it.
Umm, to memorise content try to do it in small sections. Every time you learn something in class copy it into a study book and just read over your notes every couple of days. This is SO much easier than trying to memorise a whole section. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
With the Year 12 course very much focused on macroeconomics, it makes it much easier for students devise a process in learning these concepts. For example, things such as globalisation, inflation, unemployment and specific economic policies are very much transparent in regards to the availability of information (e.g. media). If you have an interest for economics and how the world works in this sense, I wouldn't have any qualms recommending doing Economics regardless of your lack of faith in your memory.

You can approach the subject like a tiered tree with the main topic headings and then dividing study into how each process works and how you can apply those concepts to the real world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)