• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Will I make it to uni... ? (1 Viewer)

Rokaiia

HSC
Uni Grad
My rankings aren't too good and i was wondering whether i'd make it to university? I need in my 70s.

English - 28/57
General maths - 24/48
senior science- 11/45
Cafs - 20/55
Legal - 13/55

What should I do D:

Rokaiia

HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently 519 :|
Does school rank really matter?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The rank itself doesn't matter but it gives us a decent gauge of the general performance of students from your school.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
DAMN
Yeah it matters big time if you're not ranked first

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially what the school rank indicates is the quality of the cohort last year, relative to the rest of the state. It doesn't necessarily mean that your cohort will reflect their quality, but a school that is consistent in its rank is usually predisposed to a similar rank the following year, but obviously this is speculation because I don't know the quality of your cohort.

Given that, I'll say that you're on low 60's. Have a strong external performance and you should be in the 70's, but take this with a grain of salt as ATAR estimates are notoriously unreliable because it can't account for the variety of interacting variables as they are yet to occur, so it is still speculative in that regard (i.e. how well your internals will get moderated with accordance to collective cohort external performance etc...)

Last edited:

Rokaiia

HSC
Uni Grad
ah that sucks :( I thought it would be completely anonymous like taking you're exams. There are some girls who got in there high 90's but since majority of students at my school come from different backgrounds, they don't really care for hsc, I guess that's why it's ranked so badly :| I'll work harder xD Thank you :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
ah that sucks :( I thought it would be completely anonymous like taking you're exams. There are some girls who got in there high 90's but since majority of students at my school come from different backgrounds, they don't really care for hsc, I guess that's why it's ranked so badly :| I'll work harder xD Thank you :)
That's all you can do. Don't let an unfavourable situation deplete your motivation. Just work hard and see where it gets you.

Remember, we live in Australia, not a country where the ATAR (or equivalent thereof) is the only means for entry into a higher learning institution. Lots of opportunities.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You're getting it wrong. Your school rank doesn't mean anything, it only gives US an indication as to how strong/weak your cohort is, and with the aid of your rank/cohort we are able to deduce what your ATAR will look like.
When I said it does matter earlier, I meant we we can predict where you're standing relative to the state, as we know your school rank and position/cohort size.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)