• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Wireless Routers (1 Viewer)

when u connect a router to one pc, how do u get the connection to another, i know about wireless pci cards, how do u install those?? and r there any other options?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Not quite sure exactly what you're asking here...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
as long as the router is connected to a modem - you are half there

then get some other computers in the house to have a wireless card- not hard at all to install

the only problem with my wireless network the signal can be a bit weak at times when you move the antenas :(

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
codereder said:
when u connect a router to one pc, how do u get the connection to another, i know about wireless pci cards, how do u install those?? and r there any other options?
If the computer has the wireless card already install all you have to do is configure the router. Usually the instructions are step by step (at least my D-Link one was) and once it is configured the computer with the wireless card should pick up the wireless signal.

If you are talking about physically installing the wireless card it just goes in the PCI slot and then follow whatever software installations you have to do, (which should be in the manual as well). If you are running XP its plug and play should make it pretty simple. It pays to read the instructions (something I never do LOL)

If you don't have a wireless card yet, you can always get an ethernet cable and stick it in the ethernet port at the back of the router until you get all that installed :)

Last edited:

fatmuscle

HSC
what type of router is it?
doesn't it come with a 'quick-install manual'?

I'm with sunny.

please describe your network setup and internet setup.
Then we'll be able to help you improve on it. :D

fatmuscle

HSC
ADSL is "broadband"

whether it's ADSL or Cable or Wireless you still need some type of modem
and if you want to share it, some type of router.

The convenience of ADSL is, it's a combo

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Not really sure what codereder is asking. But if they are asking about connecting computers to a router wireless or by cables then I think all questions have been asked...unless their was a pacific problem and not just an enquiry.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
fatmuscle said:
ADSL is "broadband"

whether it's ADSL or Cable or Wireless you still need some type of modem
and if you want to share it, some type of router.

The convenience of ADSL is, it's a combo
Yeh sorry what i meant was mine was cable, and that being an ADSL one wouldn't work as it was a modem as well...eventually they understood and gave me the right one

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think he's asking how to connect a wireless router to a PC using wireless- and how to install those PCI cards.

Whilst USB-wifi adaptors aren't the best option (they often suffer weaker signals and are prone to overheating if poorly designed), they do provide an added convenience of not having to venture into the casing of your PC.

If he's asking about setting up, most wireless routers have some form of easy setup for enabling wireless, ssid broadcasts, mac address restriction, encryption, etc..

Anyhow as others have said- we need more information on what the topic creator is actually asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)