• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Work Experience before University (1 Viewer)

shirley92

HSC
Hey everyone! i'm just curious- for those who are studying medicine at Uni (or anyone else that might know anything about this), did many of you have work experience in hospitals beforehand?
do you think that this increased your chances of being accepted (for universities which go through the interviewing process and weighing of umat)

doink

Clone
HSC
im doing medicine and i have 0 work experience. Its quite hard to get it, i wasn't asked about it in interviews.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
do you think that this increased your chances of being accepted (for universities which go through the interviewing process and weighing of umat)
Unlikely. A work experience placement doesn't really provide enough exposure to allow you to grasp the inner workings of a hospital. If you get the chance then sure, go for it, but ultimately it is unlikely to make any difference.

shirley92

HSC
hey thanks! i've heard too that it's extremely hard to get a placement. i'm from melbourne and didn't manage to get into a hospital for work experience week, back in year 9. i'm assuming it'll probably be harder this time round because the school doesn't offer work experience for year 12's, and i'll have to figure it out myself... i wonder what i can do :confused:

shirley92

HSC
Unlikely. A work experience placement doesn't really provide enough exposure to allow you to grasp the inner workings of a hospital. If you get the chance then sure, go for it, but ultimately it is unlikely to make any difference.
oh okay, that's cool- now that's one thing off my mind. did you manage to get any work experience either?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
No experience is required, just UAI and UMAT.
NSWHEALTH wouldn't allow it.
It's too busy in a hospital, and very little spare time to implement and cooridinate work experience crew. LOL, I witnes'd staff fighting over a lunch break, oh my.
All Saints is a good show.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
oh okay, that's cool- now that's one thing off my mind. did you manage to get any work experience either?
I did an evening in an emergency department and a day in theatre with a plastic surgeon (friend of a friend). Sure, they were interesting experiences back then, but they had no impact on my entry whatsoever.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
No experience is required, just UAI and UMAT.
NSWHEALTH wouldn't allow it.
It's too busy in a hospital, and very little spare time to implement and cooridinate work experience crew. LOL, I witnes'd staff fighting over a lunch break, oh my.
All Saints is a good show.
lol at All Saints MRU.

I did a week in radiology, but I didn't mention it. I talked more about community services, rural health the lack of it and my job as a rescue operator for my community, haha. Cut people out of cars and stuff. They were highly interested in the later and then I rambled on, on how I wanted to do emergency medicine drawing from my experiences in seeing the patients before they got to the ED, etc and that I as a medico in that area would have more experience... I guess that was my work experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)