• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Work required for a state rank? (1 Viewer)

TheCardician

HSC
Hello all, the HSC is nearing and I have decided that my aim for 3U and 4U maths is to get a state rank if possible - i.e. 83/84 in 3U and 117/120 in 4U (correct me if I am wrong). Now I ask: how do you study hard enough to obtain them? Is it by just doing past papers? Or using several textbooks for study? I'm open to various methods of study.

Thanks.

apollo1

Banned
HSC
Alrighty then marks:

English Standard: 54% (57/105)
Maths Extension 1: 67% (56/84)
Maths Extension 2: 69% (74/108)
IPT: 61% (61/100)
Software Design: 73% (73/100)
Studies of Religion I: 46% (23/50) - I don't think this will be counted haha
yeh u wont be getting any state ranks for maths.

enoilgam

HSC
If you want a state rank in any subject, you should already know what you need to do to get it.

Last edited:

tambam

HSC
I'd say the people who get state ranks at maths are truly talented, as its more than just knowing how to do every single question, but also being extremely accurate and not making any mistakes.
It takes very special people to state rank in maths, you've either got what it takes, or you don't.

apollo1

Banned
HSC
I'd say the people who get state ranks at maths are truly talented, as its more than just knowing how to do every single question, but also being extremely accurate and not making any mistakes.
It takes very special people to state rank in maths, you've either got what it takes, or you don't.
and they only hand out 10 of them. so that makes it even harder.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Ask Spiralflex, he already is the state ranker for 3u and 4u next year.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
^yeah, i think it's pretty insane to go from ~70% internally to state rank level within a few weeks.

HSC
There are people getting near full marks in their trials from the top selective schools. You can probably get high band 6's but a state rank will be VERY difficult unless you are ranked 1st internally or 2/3...

TheCardician

HSC
Ok I have realised getting a state rank is most likely not possible in my case haha. But obtaining a mark above 95% is definitely achievable. Thanks for the feedback folks. And Inflection, please don't be so rude when you post next time.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
if you want a state rank, you're really really behind tbh.
The state rankers will have pretty much already got the 117-118/120 and 83/84 for their trials and pretty much know everything already, just a matter of fine tuning for them, but you're a bit far off to be blunt. It's more than just saying you want to, because the people that would have really wanted to, would've put in the hard yards ages ago. I'd say it's too late now, especially for a subject like maths, but prove me wrong.

hscishard

HSC
Dw bro, you'll get a state rank for sure.

Would be cool if you could x amount of hours and get a high state rank. What's the point in having such a high rank. Wouldn't you be happy with 95+ hsc mark

herbs1

HSC
Who cares about state ranking but? It's only retards who wont actually make anything out of themselves and need to know that they are still good at something. Nice to have, not required.

zhiying

HSC
Maybe...if your 4u trial papers were made up of 8x Q8 from past HSCs...but otherwise just give it your best shot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)