• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Working while undertaking Year 12 (1 Viewer)

RocKetBoy

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Up until a couple of weeks ago I used to work 11.5 hours per week. This would be from Monday to Saturday and didn't in anyway interfere with my studying.

This may however, have something to do with the fact that I don't study. :eek:

LOL! do u still work?

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
I dont see what the problem is with working during yr 12. its only a few hours or so and its good to get out a bit so you dont just have school and study all the time
I'm in the middle of trials and i just worked three days in a row. big fucking whoop
If you need every available minute to study you're probably beyond help really...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Yeh, dude, get over it. Year 12 ain't that big of a deal, I have uni 5 days a week and work weekends, you can manage 1 or 2 days a week too.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
born2b said:
looks like your in vic, anyways.

its all got to do with your intelligence .. if your one of those people who are smart by hours and hours of studying or just intelligent, 15 hours a week is healthy work, but over 20ish is a bit too much.. depends though,, it all depends on what kind of person u are

if ur commited you will be allright
I am not working cos of my HSC, I have other things on during the week let alone work as well after the HSC I will:)

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
Everyone just assumes they're gunna get a job straight away after the hsc. but srsly its like everyone in yr 12 looking for a job at the same time. And they all just assume its gunna be easy as and they'll get like 2-3 jobs as soon as they want
Esp those ppl who hae never worked cause of school. So they have no experience whatsoever, and a lot of them think they're above a lot of jobs like maccas or supermarkets
reality check

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
alez said:
Everyone just assumes they're gunna get a job straight away after the hsc. but srsly its like everyone in yr 12 looking for a job at the same time. And they all just assume its gunna be easy as and they'll get like 2-3 jobs as soon as they want
Esp those ppl who hae never worked cause of school. So they have no experience whatsoever, and a lot of them think they're above a lot of jobs like maccas or supermarkets
reality check
..i gotta job straight after hsc with no experience whatsoever.

at woolies but it's besides the point.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
alez said:
reality check
Yeah i am not above anywhere gotta start somewhere

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
Well at least you can realise that
I wont get started on some of the ppl i know...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I worked during my HSC and it was fine. You need a break from study or you will burn out and believe me, even work can seem like a break from study.

Besides most of us at uni have a bigger workload and work part time as well. I study law and work between 8-16hrs a week, do 12-14 contact hrs a week plus a lot more time at home reading and doing assignments, mooting and other extra cirrculars, moderate on here and help cook/clean etc...Uni doesn't get easier!

HSC
alez said:
reality check
This is true, the people who already have experience will be so far ahead of the others.

In my situation, I've kept the job I've had since Year 10, but now only do 3-5 hours on a saturday. Its a good compromise because I don't have to work much, but still have a job to pick up heaps of hours with after exams are over.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Re: Do you have a job while at school?

If you aren't good at stress/time management and don't necessarily need the money, don't get a job. However, if you can manage the stress/time and are after a little bit of independence - work.

I did. I went to school for 5 days and then worked the entire weekend (9-6 shifts).

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

Pacchiru said:
Impressive. You must have had one hell of a social life. :p
I did. Weeknights. They exist.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

Pacchiru said:
Yeh.. but with all the assigments and homework set, must have been hard.
I had 23 free periods. I left school early on most days (Around 11am-12pm), which gave me enough time to get my work done.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A

I wouldn't recommend HSC and work. Retail would always be desperate for workers, so there is no urgency to get it during your HSC.

I never had ANY work experience until a year after I graduated from the HSC. Now I'm at uni and having more work experience, and my resume looks no different to other people in my grade who actually DID work during their HSC.

Plus, at your age, retailers tend to underpay AND overwork you; especially if you intend to get into Fast Food/supermarkets.

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
alez said:
Everyone just assumes they're gunna get a job straight away after the hsc. but srsly its like everyone in yr 12 looking for a job at the same time.
Job hunting is a skill; It's easy if you know where and how to look.

If you have already completed your HSC, and did well in say Maths, you can put that down as one of your qualifications. But if you screw over your marks because you were working during the HSC, you run the risk of not getting into the Uni course you want and forever working at Maccas. So what's the rush?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
GreenLeaf said:
Job hunting is a skill; It's easy if you know where and how to look.

If you have already completed your HSC, and did well in say Maths, you can put that down as one of your qualifications. But if you screw over your marks because you were working during the HSC, you run the risk of not getting into the Uni course you want and forever working at Maccas. So what's the rush?
I got paid reasonably well, I wasn't overworked and I got a pretty decent uai. It's all up to the individual really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)