• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Would enjoying Legal Studies be enough justification for doing B Laws (1 Viewer)

register4mepls

HSC
After doing my hsc last year I had no idea what course I wanted to do at uni. Right before the main round change of preferences at UAC closed I figured why not do a law degree at UWS, considering how I really enjoyed Legal Studies. I'm also doing B economics because it was my second most favorite subject at high school.

As for my performance ib the hsc, I received a hsc mark of 91 for legal studies, with an overall atar of 91.8. In regards to my future occupation post university, I was hoping to get some experience doing jobs associated with my degrees before moving to secondary teaching.

Last edited:

inJust

HSC
My older friends have been telling me that university economics is different to hs economics... so be weary of that. Same goes for legal studies and law. Why don't you get a teaching degree?

inJust

HSC
With your atar, you could easily get into Usyd teaching.

HSC
Uni Grad
In legal studies, the questions are more open and broad. They don't exactly test understanding, but what you have learned throughout the course. Whereas on the other hand, in university law exams, you are given excerpts and are asked to critically respond to a given set of questions. University law tests more on your understanding of the content as opposed to how well you can memorize.

And the way that they mark law is marked based on the quality of points that you make as opposed to the quantity that you write. My friend at UNSW doing law said that his tutor gave him a mark for a point that he made, 3 marks for a good point. The total number of marks is the percentage that he gets.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You complete two years worth of HSC Legal Studies in the first week (maybe first two weeks) of Law. They're completely different. Doing Legal Studies gives you an advantage.....for the first two weeks (and in my case, none of it was assessable).

register4mepls

HSC
With your atar, you could easily get into Usyd teaching.

Yea looking back I realised that would've been the more prudent choice considering my intent is to do secondary teaching a masters degree in teaching after B laws/B economics, although probably by then I'll probably be sick of uni lol.

I'm also wondering if it would be easy during my double degree to transfer and just do either B laws or B economics (depending on which one I'm more enthusiastic in etc.) Would this also reduce my time at uni ( the double degree takes 5 years, if I decide to only go with one, will I only have to work for it in 3 years?)

izzy88

HSC
Yea looking back I realised that would've been the more prudent choice considering my intent is to do secondary teaching a masters degree in teaching after B laws/B economics, although probably by then I'll probably be sick of uni lol.

I'm also wondering if it would be easy during my double degree to transfer and just do either B laws or B economics (depending on which one I'm more enthusiastic in etc.) Would this also reduce my time at uni ( the double degree takes 5 years, if I decide to only go with one, will I only have to work for it in 3 years?)
You could transfer to just a B Economics, but hardly any uni's (I can only think of UTS) offer a B Laws straight. Everywhere else you need to be either combining with an undergraduate degree, or have already done an undergraduate degree (ie. to do the JD).

The other thing you should think of if you are interested in doing teaching is that you generally need to have two areas that you have studied at uni to be your teaching areas. Eg. Economics and History or Maths, English, Legal studies etc etc. Look carefully at whether the masters degree you want to do requires you to have already got these two areas or whether it incorporates studying them. I suspect some secondary masters degrees may just be the teaching element of secondary teaching, rather than giving you the opportunity to study your two teaching areas (one like a major, one can be a minor as such) which you need to show the Department of Education.

eg, here is the masters teaching at usyd http://sydney.edu.au/education_soci...raduate_entry/mteach/secondary_teaching.shtml

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)