• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

X1800 series to be available in AGP (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
SLi is nVidia's technology, so ATi doesn't have any SLi cards. There is however something I guess you can call 'ATi's equivalent' called Crossfire. Basically it's a mobo powered by the Radeon Xpress 200 CrossFire Edition chipsets, with two dedicated PCI-e ports for multiple Radeons. But obviously that requires PCI-e X1800s anyway which already exists, so whether or not X1800 exists in AGP interface doesn't matter.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You need a new motherboard for Crossfire anyway. It could be in some new slot interface and it doesn't matter.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Man that will really help with ATI sales since nVidia has no AGP offering at this point in time and I know many people who have not long purchased AGP skt 939 motherboards who are looking at upgrading their video card but don't want to buy a new motherboard.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I don't think this will greatly affect sales. If you don't upgrade your motherboard, odds are you haven't upgraded your CPU, and with many games CPU limited these days, it's better to upgrade all at once. AGP's well on its way out.

I_F

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Ya, it is, but there are plenty of Athlon 63 socket 939 motherboards in existance that use AGP still (which are the boards I was referring to and these motherboads support any of the current 939 CPU's, both single and dual core, as such, until AMD release the new socket, there isn't really a problem with it being CPU limited as of yet. It is still viable to buy a top end video card on an AGP motherboard if it's socket 939.

Stan..

HSC
I don't see how that would help. It means that your system would be pumping a shitload of juice for only 1/2 the pipeline, Why bother. Just buy a GF3, it kicks ass and is cheap.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Whether or not it will affect sales greatly is completely speculative of course.. but I do personally believe it can make a partial difference to ATi's turnover. Like insert-username said, people who go X1800 will consider a new CPU to avoid bottlenecking, and hence might consider a PCI-e upgrade. But then like darksbane said, there are still lots of 939 mobos under AGP.. and personally if I had something like a 3800+, I'd rather go X1800 AGP than go new CPU/PCI-e.. simply because even though the bottleneck is still there, it's not big enough to warrant me to spend that much more to try to optimise it via a PCI-e move.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If an AGP X1800 comes out, I would consider it too provided it's reasonably priced. While my CPU might bottleneck (especially since it's a Pentium 4), as long as the game runs smoothly with some eye candy I will be happy. What's the point of 100fps+ if you can't see it anyway (except bragging rights).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey sweet, might not have to upgrade my mobo afterall (I'm one of those unlucky bastards who got a socket939 AGP mobo just when PCI-E took off)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
At least with AMD, Minai, if you want a PCIe video card all you need to do is buy a new motherboard. Unlike the Intel camp, which requires a new CPU, motherboard and RAM. I might as well spend an extra $700 and build a new computer instead.

Collin

HSC
N/A
^^^ lolol looks like I got Minai's hopes up.. roffle

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Theres still the possibility it could be done using ATI's Rialto if someone decides theres the market for it, but I guess none of the manufacturers think there is.

sikeveo said:
muahahahah nf3 :p

Not hard/costly to upgrade your mobo these days.
Not necassarily, could be Via :p

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
If an AGP X1800 comes out, I would consider it too provided it's reasonably priced. While my CPU might bottleneck (especially since it's a Pentium 4), as long as the game runs smoothly with some eye candy I will be happy. What's the point of 100fps+ if you can't see it anyway (except bragging rights).

About $A900. PCI-e only too. :D

I_F

Collin

HSC
N/A
Few people have been asking about my graphic-whoreness and why I'm always posting performance computing related stuff, so I'm just gonna explain it here and paste it whenever someone asks about it again:

Alot of people say these new cards are just for bragging rights.. and many times I agree.. because well, there are alot of ego-fueled dickheads out there looking for a high-end system just to show off their l33tness.

For me, it's a bit more logical and common sensical. One reason why I'd even go SLi GTX for many thousands of dollars comes down to this: I'm a big fan of FPS.. and the highlight of most FPS to me is a good single player. HL2, UT2004, F.E.A.R, Quake 4, Far Cry, Doom 3.. those were pretty much the only games I've bought since I spent $3.5k last year on my X800XT-PE system, and I've barely touched the multiplayer at all. Now some of you guys must be thinking 'you're kidding me, what a waste of money'. Well, I LOVE FPS and sometimes to me, nothing in the world beats the experience of a well constructed FPS single player campaign (one reason why I went skitz when Enoch talked about how 'no one touches the HL2 single campaign unless they're bored.. pffffffffft fuck you). So basically it comes down to lots and lots of $$ vs. around 50-100hrs or so for good single player to me. And that's pretty much the fundamental reason why I'm a graphics whore. Because if I'm TRADING off a whole heap of money for x number of hours of FPS fun, where for a FPS to be successful, it must immerse the player.. and to do that one factor is graphics, then I would prefer to run it at the best possible settings at good frame rates. I mean, if I'm gonna trade that much money for a limited time-amount of fun.. the graphics better look good. So that's one reason why I usually buy a high to top-of-the-range system. Because again, if I'm only gonna play 50-100hrs of a good game on it before another system, it better damn look good.. and when the latest FPS starts to run a little dodgy on it, that's when I consider a new system. For example, how F.E.A.R runs on my computer pretty much would satisfy 99% of gamers. I run it on 10*4, 2xTSAA, 2xAF, 80% of settings on max, rest on medium. Now this game has been one I've been waiting for for a year, some people even recall me raving on about how good it will be around 15 months ago. If I truly had the money a month ago, I probably would of gone 3800+, SLi 7800GT just so I could run this game @ 16*12, 4xTSAA, 6xAF, all settings max. I know this might sound really absurd and wasteful to some.. but the logic is certainly there in my opinion.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
JKDDragon I'd have to agree with you, I don't see the point in buying a game if you can't get the most out of it. Now if only I could afford a decent system upgrade...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You have my full support. What's the point of playing the latest game without all the eye candies? You might as well stick with something older.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)