• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Xmas Casuals (1 Viewer)

rumour

HSC
I have just started looking for jobs and I am only staying in Sydney for the next month or so.

I don't think I will be able to find a job in such a short period :(

lala2

Banned
HSC
How many jobs on average did you apply for before you could get a position? I'm looking in the raelm of quite a few already, one of which is guaranteed for me but only during semester, so I'm doing some quite extensive searching. Also, if they ask you for your working availabilities, since I'm applying now, do I put down the hours that I'm currently available to work? (as in, holiday times?)

One of my friends suggested to do so as you can always change your times later, so I did, but what do you guys think? My parents were personally against the idea, sayying the whole "your friend's capable, you're not during semester" which is partially true, but I didn't want to admit to it and I thought--the more enthusiatic looking I am, i.e. more hours available, the more likely I am to get the job.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Just put down full availabilities unless they give you an opportunity to note down the fact that you're on uni holidays or something.

lala2

Banned
HSC
So you mean just on a normal semester availability, you mean? :eek:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Uhh I'm not sure what I or you meant. I'm assuming you're on uni holidays (usyd'er like me) so you're probably free 24/7 so just put that down and they'll get the drift that you're a uni student and will have to go back to uni sometime.

lala2

Banned
HSC
OMG, you freaked me out! :eek: No, what I meant was holidays--I put most days down 9-5, but I was hoping they'd figure out that I couldn't possibly be 9-5 during semester time. Thanks so much! *phew*

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Try to stretch it beyond 9-5 if you can. I was asked for a 6am-10pm timeframe in my interview with Woolies. They won't ask you to work those extreme shifts (probably won't anyway) but it's good if you hint that you're very flexible if need be.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, I put down 9-5 just because it was the most sensible thing to me at the time, and I figured they probably wouldn't need me past those times, but if I get get contacted further in any way, I'll mention that. Thanks! :)

sly_skittle

HSC
I only applied at woolworths last week and I just had an interview today and I find out if I get the job next week and then I start on saturday.
I applied for mcdonalds two days ago and they keep calling but I've missed all the calls
So I don't think it is completely too late but you'd probably have to apply before the end of the week.
And I have no experience as well

HSC
Right, so in a job application form, they ask you to put the hours you're available. At the moment i'm available like anytime cos its the holidays. But next year when I go to uni [hopefully] my availability would change. So I would only put the hours I'm available at the moment or what? I'm so confuddled. :confused:

I know this was kinda discussed before but I didn't quite get it. :eek:

L

littlewing69

Iheartpaulfrank said:
Right, so in a job application form, they ask you to put the hours you're available. At the moment i'm available like anytime cos its the holidays. But next year when I go to uni [hopefully] my availability would change. So I would only put the hours I'm available at the moment or what? I'm so confuddled. :confused:

I know this was kinda discussed before but I didn't quite get it. :eek:
I'd put down hours available now. You can always adjust later, or at worst, quit.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
you put down ur current available hours..wen you get into uni next year you then can adjust your availabilty to suit ur timetable..i aint in uni yet but i do have mates at my first job who gave me the advice..i do have two jobs now: kmart at bondi (since 31oct 2005) and citybeach parra (since 3weeks ago)..kmart i was hired as xmas casual but im there for over a year and now im takin on more responsibilities..citybeach is well a money makin machine for schoolies lol

so yeah it aint too late altho i would really rush it now....companies dont usually take in people after d first week of december...ur next window opens up next year around jan-march (i think...) although it doesnt hurt to keep the forms rollin in

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Iheartpaulfrank said:
Bobness, as sad as it sounds, I honestly cannot think of anything I've done that would come under volunteer work. [ooohh deeaar] I'm anti-sport so a BIG no there. Didn't do any extracurricular stuff in school either.

I'd better do some volunteer work to help my community!

So you're looking for your 1st job too? Good luck. :)
Well not first job per se but first part-time/full-time job.

I hold a casual position right now.

Good luck, and also talk to family members, they might be able to hook you up doing paid work (or even volunteer work) at their workplace.

HSC
I was on a some JobSearch website and they had categories you could choose from. I wasn't sure which one I was but 'Entry level retail' sounded right. Does it mean what I think it means? A student/school-leaver with no experience?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah that usually refers to checkouts or sales assistant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)