• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 10 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

riinaaa

HSC
Hi. I'm doing my subject selection right now. My problem is that I don't know if I should do Physics. One of my career options is engineering. I'm good at maths but not that good in science. I don't really know what to do. Thanks.

vitamin D

HSC
Physics would definately help for engineering. If you have Engineering studies in your school, that would give you a slight "headstart" for uni as well. Anyway, dont stress too much about subjects. If you are unhappy with certain subjects you can pick up/drop them.

excellence1

HSC
If ur heart is set out for engineering do physics, understanding the main concepts at a younger age will help you in the future :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you may end up doing Engineering, do Physics. Ignore the fact, nowadays, the dishonest universities have dropped Physics and Maths as prerequisites. Ignore advice there are bridging courses if you lack these subjects in your HSC; do you think subjects students take 2 years of hard work can suddenly be covered in 2 weeks? Come on. Be realistic.

How do you know you are no good in science, just because you are no good now. But if you are poor at logical deduction then science, apart from Biology, will probably be challenging. Maybe you do not have very good teachers of science.

Another thing: instead of telling and convincing yourself you are no good in science, just put in more efforts to improve yourself. If upon the 3rd reading you still don't understand, try another 2 times. Or ask your friends/teachers for help.

Remember - if you have no physics or maths, you can kiss your engineering goodbye. The universities may accept you into engineering, but will you make it? Why do they allow ill-equipped students to enroll? Because they need as many students as possible, to survive; they don't care if you can't make it.

If you want to do Engineering, what good would state ranking in Modern History or Business studies do you? If you have an ATAR of 99.35 based on non-science and non-maths subjects, what good are they as foundation for engineering?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Take Physics, a lot can change over the next two years.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yeah, if you want to do Engineering, doing Physics is one of those things you will need, or at least need to build a foundation. You can slowly work on Physics and improve, rather than get into university and have no idea of basic concepts.

the_matrix

HSC
Most engineering courses have Physics as assumed knowledge, so definitely study it! The maths in Physics can be quite tedious at times but honestly, the concepts in this subject are quite logical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)