• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 course advise (1 Viewer)

deano059

HSC
Jacks - thanks for that

yeh ive picked hte subjects i had in my first post but yeh i guess u can always change but its not really ideal to change - needing new books, catching up on what u missed etc.

doesnt look like i need an advisor! ive got thousands of them here!! on BOS

Jacks

HSC
indeedy you do not!! that is what we are here for!! I mean I have to fill up my 3 month break from uni some how and what on earth would I do if I didn't sit here all day posting post after post?? hehe perhaps go get a life?? Seriously though, if you need any other advise just ask and someone here will help you, no worries ;)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well if you are not concerned with getting high 90 UAI then you can do gen maths, ipt and business because those subjects will root you if you make a small mistake since the scaling is so awful. but gen maths is important because its still some form of mathematics as opposed to some idiots that dont do maths at all.

Jacks

HSC
ah it's not all that bad!! the scaling might not be the best but they're still good subjects...and not everyone can get a UAI of 90+, it wouldn't be so fantastic then...and I forgot to mention that I have a load of prelim biology notes...like I summarised the entire prelim part of the textbook...I dunno if they are still using the same book but if you get into any trouble with any prelim bio let me know and I'll try to help you out!

and OoO I forgot to mention that I'm one of those idiots who didn't do maths at all...did 4u english instead...but I think I didn't pretty well for myself...being an idiot and all :p

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
as long as you didnt do maths because you assumed an arts/law course was going to be handed to you on a platter, its alright. did it kinda limit the amount of choices you had for uni courses as opposed to if you did or was it not an issue?

Jacks

HSC
umm it wasn't really an issue as I made the choice based on my interests and what I was looking to do at uni...journalism didn't really require maths so it wasn't a problem and my other interest which it could possibly have had an impact on was my interest in programming and such as more computer related courses require maths...but I did software design and development so that made up for it and did ok at that without maths...I really wanted to do 4u in the place of maths and I knew there were always bridging courses if I happened to ever change my mind. Though, I'm not a person who believes anything is handed to you on a silver platter...everything has to be earned and worked for :)

deano059

HSC
hey jacks.........thanks:D

which uni are you at?

how many years into uni are you?

Jacks

HSC
I'm first year...well finished first year at UWS milperra doing a BA (Communications) and taking italian as my elective. I was thinking about transferring to UTS because I've got a distinction average but I didn't have time to hand in a personal statement so I'll probably stay where I am...it's all good though...what are you looking to do at uni?

Jacks

HSC
hehe no I don't think so...there is nothing wrong with a guy teacher or nurse...these days I think it's more acceptable to be whatever you want to be. Being a chick though if I were sick I think I'd much prefer a nice looking male nurse any day so I'm all for that! Any preference out of these two alternatives?

deano059

HSC
last year i did prac in both i loved the teaching , and i liked the nursing but you know i guess i didnt come home fully carrying on about every little thing that happned all day like the teacher which prob shows i enjoyed that a bit more

and with todays day and age - ud b suprised with how many patients assume male nurses are all gay

Jacks

HSC
haha perhaps some would...but no one assumes guy doctors are gay so that seems just a little peculiar...but oh wells if you like the teaching option better than strive for that...so long as you don't let the fact people may assume you are gay deter you from being a nurse...there is no reason you can't teach and be involved in some form of first aid...hehe it is required for teaching afterall :p

deano059

HSC
haha yeh..kids with bleeding and runny noses all the waaaaaaay!!!

people never assume male doctors are gay but you know wot...there were 10 times more gay doctors than nurses out of the males..not that it shoul dmatter. the gay guys r usually some of the most nicest guys ull ever meet.

do you have any particular thoughts as to where u want to head specifically after uni?

Jacks

HSC
now that's a tough one...I might do some totally unrelated job for awhile so I can save up and travel a bit before I tie myself down in some 9-5pm job...I'll probably end up a full time student and spend my life there getting qualifications I'll never use hehe...but I'd like to get a job as a journalist somewhere if I were picking a job related to the degree I'm doing now...in a newspaper or something perhaps *shrugs*

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
man i wanna be a journo too, but my careers advisor says i gotta know people and be conencted because otherwise im a nobody. and theres not that many jobs for journos out there right?

Jacks

HSC
it is a pretty competitive industry...but I guess that all depends what specifically you want to do, there's print, tv etc...obviously you start off at the bottom and it would be advantageous to know people but I think if you stick at it for long enough the determination should pay off enough to get you work somewhere...hehe and there's always the possibility of some sort of back-up plan :)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
print journalism sounds good to me. my back-up plan is being an accountant but damn thats boring like shit.

Jacks

HSC
hehehe yes ah wells...do something for long enough and I can guarantee you'll find it boring eventually...not too sure what my backup plan is...but I'm sure I'm one of many hidden talents, however well hidden *ahem* :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)