• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 Equipment/Resources (2 Viewers)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hey all :wave: . For the Year 11 Preliminaries, what sort of equipment have past year 11 students, or current year 11 students are going to purchase?

Well these are the items I have currently purchased:
  • 5 A4 Spirax Notebooks, for English Advanced, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Economics.
  • 2 A4 Mathematics Grid Books for my Extension 1 maths course
  • An A4 binder with sleeves inside it, so I can put in past exam papers and assignments I have completed.
  • A few mini notepads so I can jot down non-school related things I have to do such as dates for important events to remember.
  • 6 A4 folders for each subject, with the syllabus being printed out with the dotpoint answers, so if the teacher is following the syllabus by each dotpoint, I already know what will be teached in the next lesson and I can memorise, including the extra work we do in lessons.
  • Already have a school bag.
  • Already got a pencil case with coloured pencils, glue stick, ruler, red, blue and black pens etc.
  • Will be getting a school diary, and this time, I will use it much more frequently in comparison to year 10. My school related things such as homework to be completed or an assignment to be finished will be in here.
So...is anyone else overly prepared like me? Senior school will be starting and there's only 2 weeks of summer holidays left :(. I heard people colour code their folders for each subject. Is it worth it? Or is that for the HSC years? I might also buy loose leaf and that's all. Then I'll have to organise all my resources.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Lol, I'm sorta prepared - only not as prepared as you. I'll base my list on yours.
- A4 Binder books - I bought like 20 of those 36c blue ones from Officeworks - cause they're cheap.
- 2 Maths Grid Books
- No Binder
- No Notepads - but i bought heaps of those 1c exercise books at Officeworks and Big W
- 10 of those 49c display folders on sale at officeworks
- Pencil case with blue pens, red pens, pacer, glue and liquid tape. No coloured pencils.
- School gives us our diary.

I love the uber cheap stuff they had at officeworks

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Already got my stationary 3 months ago :D

It'd be a worthy investment to get A4 loose leaf paper and post-it notes/tag thingos.

powerdrive

HSC
lol overkill

one of my friends, for some time in yr 11 all he had in his bag was a pen

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
:wave:

You pretty much have it all - the basics and such.

I mean for assignments it depends if your school has rules on how you must hand them in. Like not display folder but just a normal folder, was my school. So they could easily write on them without having to pull out each page.

People have all different kinds of way to organise their books, notes and assessments. It's up to you to find out what works best to you and stick to it.

Already preliminary doesn't count (except that you can be tested on up to 30% of content from prelim maths), you should still treat it with some level of care. Use it as your practice event to the hsc. Find out what does and doesn't work for you, make mistakes and learn from them so you can do your best when it really counts.

Enjoy the last few weeks of holidays. Try not to stress out to much over prelim. Best of luck. :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Oh shit... I bought some random stationary stuff at Officeworks yesterday but I haven't made a list or anything. :D

I probably should be abit more organised. :(

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
pritnep said:
:wave:

You pretty much have it all - the basics and such.

I mean for assignments it depends if your school has rules on how you must hand them in. Like not display folder but just a normal folder, was my school. So they could easily write on them without having to pull out each page.

People have all different kinds of way to organise their books, notes and assessments. It's up to you to find out what works best to you and stick to it.

Already preliminary doesn't count (except that you can be tested on up to 30% of content from prelim maths), you should still treat it with some level of care. Use it as your practice event to the hsc. Find out what does and doesn't work for you, make mistakes and learn from them so you can do your best when it really counts.

Enjoy the last few weeks of holidays. Try not to stress out to much over prelim. Best of luck. :)
Teachers at my schools hate folders - I don't know why. They even hate the simple task of taking something out of the folder. So we're only allowed to hand up our assignment with a staple in the corner unless otherwise stated. Also we have a stupid rule where we have to use Times New Roman, Size 12 font with 1.5 spacing and 2cm margins.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
^ For official assessments, thats the same for me. No folders or plastic sleeves.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Wow, I don't think my school has that kind of strict procedures. We're allowed to use folders with plastic sleeves, but many just staple them and put it into a sleeve, which is easier for the teachers to mark and go through.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, our teachers told us its a hassle to constantly get pieces of papers out of plastic sleeves. By the end, they would have around 150+ plastic sleeves just lying around.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
the-derivative said:
Teachers at my schools hate folders - I don't know why. They even hate the simple task of taking something out of the folder. So we're only allowed to hand up our assignment with a staple in the corner unless otherwise stated. Also we have a stupid rule where we have to use Times New Roman, Size 12 font with 1.5 spacing and 2cm margins.
Yep my school had those rules for computer assignments. English just wanted assessments stabled. And wanted 1.5 spacing and a certain font.

jirwin

HSC
some of u are just so organised. makes me sad. i wish i had a reason to go to all the back to school sales. but i have basically everything i know that i will need for my uni course. only a few things i have to buy still like a folder(s). theres probably heaps of stuff i will cos my course is design orientated but i dont know what stuff i need so i have to wait till i start... pitty cos all the sales will be over :(

my school (and pritnep's) had different rules for each faculty. if u handed in ur essay/assessment for english in a folder or sleeve then they would be kept. u wouldnt see ur folder again. kinda sucks. but not like i could do essays fancy so it wasnt of high concern to me towards the end. for cafs i used the report folders. dnt was A3 display folders. maths they were all tests. art was anything and ipt for report folder altho i ended up binding it as i went rather then waiting till the last part was due and getting it bound then.

anyway have fun stationary shopping!! good luck in prelim/hsc

F-O-B

HSC
Bunch of books n a few pens...basic stationary n im set.
well its worked for the past few years. :/

HSC
I'm going to officeworks on Thursday to buy school stuff WOO. I love buying back to school stuff, best thing about going back to school.

I'm not really sure what i'm going to buy, but i have a basic idea. When i'm at officeworks i'll prolly just grab anything thats cheap or awesome (which i have done previously, resulting in spare stuff that i didn't need and getting told off by my mum)

I do know that i'll buy:
- thin spiral books that are already have the margins in them (AH, I LOVE THEM)
- Those contact covers
- EVERY DIFFERENT COLOURED SHARPIE THERE IS (maybe a black one,then all different colours in mini)
-Those cheap but good pens i usually use
- Plastic sleeves! Mine keep vanishing and get stolen.

And some other stuff, i don't know.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
the-derivative said:
Meh, Arial size 12 font got me through the HSC year. Unless they're incredibly pedantic (and yes, some of the teachers are), you'll be fine with whatever font and spacing you choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)