• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year and school and pulling down marks... (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Hey, I was wondering how much the school or year group comes into your final ATAR?

I am worried because I do not know what rank my school is but assuming not too high. And I want to do very well but how much will they affect me? This doesn't seem fair to me if it affects a lot.

zombies

HSC
Well if you rank first in all of your subjects, then your cohort will not affect you at all!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't forget that any school rank you see will be based on a previous year's cohort and not yours. It might give an indication but may not be accurate. Some schools make big drops or big gains over a year due to the changing nature of the cohorts, particularly amongst comprehensive high schools.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey, I was wondering how much the school or year group comes into your final ATAR?

I am worried because I do not know what rank my school is but assuming not too high. And I want to do very well but how much will they affect me? This doesn't seem fair to me if it affects a lot.
It does affect you to some extent, except if you are coming first internally and get the highest mark out of your cohort externally. However, the biggest factor determining a students marks is the student themselves.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 91 in the chem exam and ended up with 87. Think about that. :/

Also, my school probably dropped like 100 ranks. Lol

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The ultimate plan for me; get rank 1 and do the best externally.

No effect then.

What happens in the following scenarios?
You come 2nd internally but slaughter externally and 1st does bad comparatively?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)