• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Acceleration of HSC subjects (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Hey there. I would like to know how the acceleration of HSC subjects works. I tried finding a link on the boardofstudies with the details and information for it, but there was nothing for the students.

I know in many selective schools and in private schools, they already offer the acceleration of HSC subjects. But the thing is, I go to a public high school, and I know that there is no acceleration, as not a lot want to do it and a high majority of students wouldn't want to accelerate.

I heard that you can enrol in TAFE for a HSC course and complete it whilst getting your HSC results back and if you want to keep the HSC mark or not. Is this possible? If so, can anyone give me details on it, or a suitable link that would describe it?

I've found 2 links for doing the HSC at TAFE:

1) http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=6500

2) http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=6505

But on the two links provided, I read it all and it says that I also have to attend TAFE to complete the HSC for a suitable course. Say if I was accelerating 2U or 3U mathematics which I'm planning to do. Would it be possible if I could complete it at home while going over the syllabus and to sit for the HSC test at TAFE? Or do I have to attend TAFE everytime to complete other tests, as 50% of internals goes towards your HSC and the other 50% of externals goes towards your HSC?

I want to know exactly how it works, and if it is possible to accelerate a HSC subject without going to a selective/private school.

Thanks.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Hey there. I would like to know how the acceleration of HSC subjects works. I tried finding a link on the boardofstudies with the details and information for it, but there was nothing for the students.
All of those questions will be best answered by the careers advisor at your school, who will know what is available in your local area.
Usually the acceleration process starts, in the school environment, before Year 11.

The TAFE option will depend on yr subject selection.

cs01001

HSC
I guess its a little late to accelerate 2U and 3U now. Because if you were to accelerate, you would have to have done the Prelim parts in Year 10 to fufill the number of hour requirements. Then in 2008 Year 11, you do the HSC course and sit the external exam in October.

I am not sure how TAFE or those things operate, but as Lwaxana said, go consult your career adviser to see what options you have.

I wish I knew these kind of things in Year 9, I would love to have accelerated IPT or something like Geography. Oh well, too late now :(

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Hmm, yeah, I would have loved to accelerate some of my subjects.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Haha, it's too early to tell yet. Same goes for you :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Thanks guys. Yeah I didn't know about accelerating subjects in year 9 either. I guess I'll just do well in the preliminaries and continue on till the HSC begins.

jellybelly59

HSC
"Would it be possible if I could complete it at home while going over the syllabus and to sit for the HSC test at TAFE?"

well razizi i was looking at the uac 2007 guide today.... (really bored hahaha) and it says that "You will be considered to have satisfactorily completed a course if in your principal's view there is sufficient evidence that you have followed the course of study prescribed by the bored, applied yourself with diligence and sustained effort to the set tasks and experiences provided in the course by the school; and achieved some or all of the course outcomes"

I think you could do that alone at home or through correspondence.... My sister did french continuers like that... They send u the material and u learn it... But im not sure... just a suggestion but it would still be wise to follow Lwaxana's advice .. :D hope i could help

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
jellybelly59 said:
"Would it be possible if I could complete it at home while going over the syllabus and to sit for the HSC test at TAFE?"

well razizi i was looking at the uac 2007 guide today.... (really bored hahaha) and it says that "You will be considered to have satisfactorily completed a course if in your principal's view there is sufficient evidence that you have followed the course of study prescribed by the bored, applied yourself with diligence and sustained effort to the set tasks and experiences provided in the course by the school; and achieved some or all of the course outcomes"

I think you could do that alone at home or through correspondence.... My sister did french continuers like that... They send u the material and u learn it... But im not sure... just a suggestion but it would still be wise to follow Lwaxana's advice .. :D hope i could help
Thanks jellybelly my bos buddy :D. Lol UAC guide haha, I'm guessing your determined to do well as well :). All the best in Year 11. Going to be a new start, just like that jump from year 6 to year 7.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Razizi said:
I'll just transfer from my school to epping boys. THEN WE CAN BE BEST BUDDIES :D:D:D:D:D.
I'm transferring to another school next year though. :(

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Continuum said:
I'm transferring to another school next year though. :(
Aww what school? There will be a person guiding you around the school, just like I transferred from year 7 to year 8. Then in a day or two, I made heaps of friends :D.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Razizi said:
Aww what school? There will be a person guiding you around the school, just like I transferred from year 7 to year 8. Then in a day or two, I made heaps of friends :D.
Not telling. :)

My situation is somewhat unique, so somebody might recognise me. :(

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Continuum said:
Not telling. :)

My situation is somewhat unique, so somebody might recognise me. :(
o_O Sounds so secretive lol. PM me if you must. But I don't mind if you don't want to tell me, don't want to to be nosey :D. Wish you all the best at your new school continuum.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I know of a few schools that have allowed students to accelerate 2 unit maths in year 11, without doing the preliminary course in year 10. It's a cramped workload, but it is manageable (having done it myself for 2 years, 2 unit maths in year 10 and extension 1 maths in year 11), but it really depends on your school if you are able to undertake that option or accelerate. But I do agree with some of the above posts about contacting your careers advisor, just to see whether or not you are able to accelerate a subject.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, sometimes the issue of teacher availability, resources and timetable issues can hamper acceleration courses. So make sure you ask the relevant teachers and person(s) about it.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Thanks again guys really appreciate this. But is it worth accelerating 2U HSC mathematics when I'm currently doing mathematics preliminary extension 1 now? Or should I also accelerate 3U hsc mathematics. I will talk to my teachers about this when I get back to school and improve upon my results. Thanks for all your replies.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Some topics in MX1 require little background information from the topics of 2U such as Polynomials, Permutations&Combinations, Circle Geometry and Induction. If its too late or unattainable, stick with doing 2U and 3U at the same time.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Razizi said:
Thanks again guys really appreciate this. But is it worth accelerating 2U HSC mathematics when I'm currently doing mathematics preliminary extension 1 now? Or should I also accelerate 3U hsc mathematics. I will talk to my teachers about this when I get back to school and improve upon my results. Thanks for all your replies.
It's possible to accelerate both in the same year, a few of the people in my grade when I was in school did that, with rather respectable results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)