• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ask a S.P.R.O.U.T. (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Thanks sprouts, you've convinced me that I don't belong in UWS.

Amoz_lilo, read the first page or two.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hey Sprouts, can you tell me about O-week? Is it a whole week at UTS or what? And where are most of the wossnames held? Building 1?

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JRasnier
Lol, im gonna be doing insearch this year, but it can be seen as the same as uts..., (dunno if im counted as a uts student or not), but lolz, i live in Blacktown which is much further away from the city then parramatta.....it really depends on what u see being limitations such as distance and time..., im going cause of academics, and of the i.t courses, and facilities they have there...which for meeh is way out weighing the distance factor...
me too.. which course are you doing at insearch?

Kathleen

fatmuscle SUX
HSC
insearch students hmm nopes they are not consider as a UTS student...

but u guys would have a big adavantage compare to tafe people who wants to transfer to uts

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
insearch students arent really considered uts students but they do have access to uts facilities + are part of the union.

i was an insearch student ['02] doing Dip IT + transferred into uts['03] into BSciIT/DipITPP. uts will hold a spot for ya when ya transfer, thats if ur wam is high enough. if ya go to insearch you can just do an internal transfer into uts rather than going through uac again.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by carrotz
insearch students arent really considered uts students but they do have access to uts facilities + are part of the union.

i was an insearch student ['02] doing Dip IT + transferred into uts['03] into BSciIT/DipITPP. uts will hold a spot for ya when ya transfer, thats if ur wam is high enough. if ya go to insearch you can just do an internal transfer into uts rather than going through uac again.
im doing the foundation studies design/architecture. it goes for 2 semesters (march-june.. july-october)... i cant internally transfer halfway thru the course can i?

and if i go thru UAC, is it hard to get into UTS ? i have to get a WAM of 65 to be eligible.. but will that be enough? or will i have to get something like 75-80?

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by reynaldo
im doing the foundation studies design/architecture. it goes for 2 semesters (march-june.. july-october)... i cant internally transfer halfway thru the course can i?

and if i go thru UAC, is it hard to get into UTS ? i have to get a WAM of 65 to be eligible.. but will that be enough? or will i have to get something like 75-80?
well to transfer into uts you have to had finished ur foundation studies at insearch, therefore you cant transfer half way through ur foundation course.

you can apply through uac to get into uts. it might be harder to apply through uac coz you are competing with everyone else, but that shouldnt stop you from trying.

as long as you get a WAM of 65 or higher you can get into uts. but i suggest you go to the design/architecture faculty + speak to the liaison manager face to face, coz they would be able to hold a spot for you.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
well to transfer into uts you have to had finished ur foundation studies at insearch, therefore you cant transfer half way through ur foundation course.

you can apply through uac to get into uts. it might be harder to apply through uac coz you are competing with everyone else, but that shouldnt stop you from trying.

as long as you get a WAM of 65 or higher you can get into uts. but i suggest you go to the design/architecture faculty + speak to the liaison manager face to face, coz they would be able to hold a spot for you.
you mean i can actually get a 'guaranteed' spot at UTS if i (talk to the "liaison manager") and get the required WAM of 65 + ?? when enquiring for the course, i was told that theres no guarantees even if i get 65 + , and i should aim for something like 80's..

i really have to do well in this thing cause it aint cheap :(

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
you mean i can actually get a 'guaranteed' spot at UTS if i (talk to the "liaison manager") and get the required WAM of 65 + ?? when enquiring for the course, i was told that theres no guarantees even if i get 65 + , and i should aim for something like 80's..

i really have to do well in this thing cause it aint cheap :(
yeah i know they said that there's no guaranteed spot, cept for international students.. which is unfair. blah.

welz since ur doing foundation, it shouldnt be that hard to get a WAM of 65. the higher you are above 65, the greater the chance of getting into uts. not many ppl talk directly face to face with the liaison manager. if ya talk to him/her they might be able to hold ya a place, but it will also depend on how many places they have left for insearch students. so you might get over 65.. but you are also competing with other local insearch students trying to get into uts. uts will save a number of spots for insearch students.

dont worry too much. i know it seems stressful.. but if you're determined to get into uts, then i'm sure getting over 65 will be easy.

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
yeah i know they said that there's no guaranteed spot, cept for international students.. which is unfair. blah.

welz since ur doing foundation, it shouldnt be that hard to get a WAM of 65. the higher you are above 65, the greater the chance of getting into uts. not many ppl talk directly face to face with the liaison manager. if ya talk to him/her they might be able to hold ya a place, but it will also depend on how many places they have left for insearch students. so you might get over 65.. but you are also competing with other local insearch students trying to get into uts. uts will save a number of spots for insearch students.

dont worry too much. i know it seems stressful.. but if you're determined to get into uts, then i'm sure getting over 65 will be easy.
isn't a bit unfair for others for the liaison guy to hold an individual spot for someone??..

anyway, im not so much worried about getting over 65.. but i am about being able to get enough (like 80's) so i have the best chance possible...

say, would you know how many spots they have for insearchers? would it be like 50% of local insearch students get into UTS? or possibly more?

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
isn't a bit unfair for others for the liaison guy to hold an individual spot for someone??..

anyway, im not so much worried about getting over 65.. but i am about being able to get enough (like 80's) so i have the best chance possible...

say, would you know how many spots they have for insearchers? would it be like 50% of local insearch students get into UTS? or possibly more?
yeah i guess it is

like i said before.. ir ur determined to get into uts, you will study hard + all.. so 80 might be easy for you.

i dont really know how spots they have for insearch students. you would have to speak to the liaison person about that. there's usually not that many local students compared to international students at insearch. so the number of local students that go to uts depends on how many students there are enrolled in your course, it varies from course to course. if there are heaps of local students enrolled, then they might not offer a lot, if there's only a few, then you all might get into uts.

HSC
N/A
urrrmm...
anyone know anything about the media arts & production course at UTS??
How can I get a transfer into it?? Do I need like a D or something since my UAI was 85....and the course cutoff is like 95....
Are there special entry requirements such as an interview or portfolio?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Are you currently doing a course at UTS or another uni?

If your at UTS, you apply for an internal course transfer and they will only take into consideration your weighted average mark and your personal statement that your write. As for any other special entry requirements for this course, I'm not too sure. You'll have to find the course handbook entry at http://www.uts.edu.au/div/publications/ and see if it says anything there.

If your applying for transfer from another uni, then you will have to apply though UAC. If your a first year student, then they will take into consideration BOTH your UAI and your weighted average mark, and take the average of both of them. So if you want to boost your 85 UAI higher, then you'll need good marks.

In terms of uni marks and transferring, usually you require a C average or higher, which is 65. A D average or higher will greatly increase your chances. On a rough scale, a D average of around 80 is equal to a UAI > 90, but it all depends on the course you're applying for, and there is no set standard of how uni marks match up to UAI marks. Hence getting a HD average (85 or above) (which is quite challenging) is like getting a UAI of > 95 and will greatly increase your chances of transferring.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
A Distinction average is usually enough to get you into most courses, IF you transfer internally. If you're not at UTS then you'll need to go through the UAC Non Recent School Leaver application procedures, and all this stupid stuff comes into play. Best to contact the Faculty.

HSC
N/A
I'm not a UTS student...
I heard that course cutoffs for non-recent school leavers are higher...is that true? Or is it same as the cutoffs for year 12s?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You are NOT a recent school leaver anymore. You HAVE to submit a personal statement. RSL is anyone coming straight from Year 12.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If I wanna transfer into a double with international studies for next semester, who do I talk to? Do I need to ring the institute and arrange an appointment, or can I just rock on down there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)