• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

band 5 in standard english (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i was jus wondering what the approximate raw mark would be to get a band 5 in standard english

ioniser

HSC
70-80

but it really depends on how hardyour teachers mark you, if your rank is like top 3 you'll be up for the band 5

HSC
about 1.8% of the state get band 5, so if you're getting 80s then you deserve a gold star, im just skimming a 80s in 3/6 of my sections for english, the rest are horribly away from 80s (more so 70s)

by 6 sections i mean;
section I/II/III Paper 1 & section I/II/III paper 2 ;D

Estelle

everyone seems to be confused about what the marks are for the bands,

band 5= 80-90
band 6= 90-100

and standard and advanced are marked the same, so you will be marked against advanced, therefore its hard to get band 5.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Estelle said:
everyone seems to be confused about what the marks are for the bands,

band 5= 80-90
band 6= 90-100
You appear misinformed. The question was what raw mark equates to an aligned mark of band 5. Raw marks are very different to aligned marks. A raw mark of 70 may be aligned up to a band 5 in some subjects.
Estelle said:
and standard and advanced are marked the same, so you will be marked against advanced, therefore its hard to get band 5.
That's only for the Area of Study. The Modules Paper can't possibly be marked the same when they are completely different exams between Advanced and Standard.

Estelle

Trebla said:
You appear misinformed. The question was what raw mark equates to an aligned mark of band 5. Raw marks are very different to aligned marks. A raw mark of 70 may be aligned up to a band 5 in some subjects.

That's only for the Area of Study. The Modules Paper can't possibly be marked the same when they are completely different exams between Advanced and Standard.
I know they are different papers but you are marked against advanced candidates, so in a standard class your teacher will say you are band 5, but in the exam it is really a band 4, hence, for example 18/20 in standard is different to a 18/20 in advanced and in the exam it will show etc. They are marked together, even though they do different things, i mean all the candidates do different texts ect so its logical that they would mark it the same. it really sucks for standard peoples i think, very rude of teachers to misinform, for results of hsc for standard english students i have been told have been quite shocking to them. If i am wrong about this in anyway and i can be proved otherwise i apologise, but i am pretty certain this is the way it works.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
How exactly can they be marked together? Different content is examined, different criteria apply and different syllabus points are assessed. There is no direct link between Standard and Advanced in the Modules Paper so how can equivalent marks between Standard and Advanced be set? From what I've heard everything is shaped by the Area of Study exam and that probably is the only thing that can support the idea that Advanced and Standard are marked together.
Either way, regardless of how crappy the aligning process goes, in terms of scaled marks, a low band 5 in Standard would be equivalent to a mid-band 5 in Advanced. So, although the HSC marks may be depressingly low, perhaps the UAI may be surprisingly high....?

HSC
are you guys saying if i went and got a straight cut 90 in english (both assessment and hsc) that it would get scaled down so thus lose my band 6? (not saying that id get such a nice mark, just question)

aaaman

Banned
HSC
Casmira said:
are you guys saying if i went and got a straight cut 90 in english (both assessment and hsc) that it would get scaled down so thus lose my band 6? (not saying that id get such a nice mark, just question)

scaling goes 2 ur uai doesnt it

HSC
what i meant was would it be seen on uai as 90 or would it get pushed down?

ioniser

HSC
Casmira said:

no if you got 90 in hsc and came first in your class you asssess mark automatically goes up to 90

And if you got band 6 in standard english that does not scale down(its only if you get an average mark it scales down),it scales massive if you get a band 6 as ,on average only one person gets a band 6 each year(2 people last year)it can make your uai go up to 3-5 uai marks

Last edited:
HSC
fark i was hoping you woudlnt say that, i got this big internal fire within me to study like cucking frazy for english

Estelle

sorry i wasnt trying to say that you get scaled down for being in standard, what i mean was, if you come first in your standard class, that would be last in advanced, and so your standard teacher might say you got 90% for standard, but compared to what kind of stuff advanced people do, that 90% is more like 75% or something, the advanced teacher at our school said he examine the 2 top standard candidates in the trial, against the advanced candidates and it was even nowhere near the worst people in advanced. I am very very certain they mark them all the same, even thought the texts etc are different, they are marked according to levels of ability and so on, it doesnt matter that they are different, if the modules papers were marked separatly dont you think there would be heaps of standard people who get band 6 then? Also if they did mark them separately, it would be unfair to advanced people who's band 6 is REALLY hard to get, if standard people could get if with their ability.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Estelle said:
Also if they did mark them separately, it would be unfair to advanced people who's band 6 is REALLY hard to get
I disagree with you there. Getting band 6 in Advanced is not as difficult as getting it Standard. Last year 7.56% scored band 6 in Advanced. That's 2000+ people compared to only 2 people in Standard. Also consider that in terms of scaled marks, a mark of 90 in Standard is the top 1-2% of the state in both Advanced and Standard. A mark of 90 in Standard is higher than a mark of 90 in Advanced.
Estelle said:
the advanced teacher at our school said he examine the 2 top standard candidates in the trial, against the advanced candidates and it was even nowhere near the worst people in advanced.
That's only in your school. At my school there are heaps of smart ppl who are doing Standard because they were forced to. In the AOS exam and essay where both Advanced and Standard do the same test, MANY of these people scored higher than the Advanced people. I'm not just talking about beating the bottom people in Advanced either. There are those who have exceeded the Advanced average in the exam. In the half yearly 67% I think was the highest in Standard, while 77% I think was the highest in Advanced. Rankwise, 67% was probably the top10 for both Standard and Advanced. The average for Advanced was like 55% or something. (school marks freakin hard that's why scores are so fuckin low) So there are definitely people out there doing Standard who are much better than the majority of the Advanced people.

A l

HSC
N/A
I would like to clear something up regarding marks in English (Standard) and English (Advanced).

In the scaling process, NEITHER STANDARD NOR ADVANCED ARE ADVANTAGED OR DISADVANTAGED AND THEY ARE PLACED ON A COMMON SCALE. According to sources, English (Advanced) and English (Standard) are both equally scaled negatively.

In the aligning process marks differ between courses in accordance to corresponding raw marks. Hence, it is a bit harder to score higher ALIGNED MARKS in English Standard than in English Advanced. However, the difference in aligned marks, from the same raw mark for English Standard and English Advanced, is only around 4-5 marks. Oddly enough, the performance band descriptors are identical in wording....

The way that English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are kept equal is by the Area of Study Paper. The original distribution of marks in the Modules Paper is altered, for both English Advanced and English Standard, to match the distribution of marks in the Area of Study exam. The Modules Paper for English Standard is marked SEPARATELY to the Modules Paper in English Advanced. The distribution of marks is determined by the Area of Study Paper.

Typically, English Standard students would score lower than the English Advanced students in the Area of Study exam, hence the marks of their Modules Paper are usually lowered. However, if people in English Standard do score very well in the Area of Study Paper, and sustain that in the Modules Paper, higher marks would be attainable, perhaps even higher than 90. It just so happens, that the overall candidature of English Standard is weaker than that of English Advanced.
Also, remember that the final mark consists of the combination of both the Areas of Study and Modules Paper in an approximate 40:60 ratio.

So how can one achieve band 6 in English Standard?
Step 1: Come first or close to first internally, this ensures that your assessment mark would equal the exam mark of the top ranked students internally.
Step 2: Do extremely well in the Area of Study Paper. This probably means 40 or above out of 45 for a raw mark depending on the difficulty of the exam.
Step 3: Do very well in the Modules Paper. Get yourself in the top ranks in that paper. This probably means 55 or above out of 60 for a raw mark depending on the difficulty of the exam. Remember, the top mark in the Area of Study Paper for English Standard would equal the top mark in the Modules Paper for English Standard. The same applies with English Advanced.
Step 4: Wait anxiously for your results for 2 months or while studying and revising for your other exams!

Refer to the following threads for details because I'm not going to bother typing out the whole process again:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=83244
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=54082

Estelle

Trebla, what i want to say to is: If you want to get band 5 or 6, you should have picked advanced, it can be no more simple than that, just why do a lower course if youre aiming high. Its obviously going to be harder to get high marks in standard because the course is designed for people who are good at english frankly. If you want to do well in english then choose advance.

Also, if 77% was the highest mark in advanced at your school then your school isnt very adademic or your teachers mark harsh, cause at ours the highest advanced was 99% .

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Estelle said:
Trebla, what i want to say to is: If you want to get band 5 or 6, you should have picked advanced, it can be no more simple than that, just why do a lower course if youre aiming high. Its obviously going to be harder to get high marks in standard because the course is designed for people who are good at english frankly. If you want to do well in english then choose advance.
Well unforntunately, my dumb school would never let me. No matter how well I proved myself, they reckon I can do well in Standard.
Estelle said:
Also, if 77% was the highest mark in advanced at your school then your school isnt very adademic or your teachers mark harsh, cause at ours the highest advanced was 99% .
Of course the teachers mark very harshly, I already mentioned that in the previous post. Most people score band 4 or band 5 in English rather than the shockingly low scores they give. I mean, compare my SC trials (67.5) to my actual SC result (86).

Estelle

your school sounds mean, at ours anyone could choose which one they wanted.

At least if they are harsh then your hsc results will be better than you expect.

bubu

if u want marks then go advanced

u can change if u get very well in standard like top 3 or somethin in yr 11

standard is easier and relaxed except it is annoyin that if u get 100% in one part for Advanced and Standard Paper

they dont actually give u 100% for that section in the HSC

injustice...

thats accordin to my english teacher

shiroangel

akaNiCoL3
HSC
Estelle said:

picking advanced does not guarantee u a band 5 or 6......there are heaps ppl at our skool who are geting really low marks for advanced and lyk Trebla, our skool marks heaps hard and we're a selective skool so thats saying something...and for our trials.....quite a few standard students achieved higher marks overall than the advanced students...and i dont mean those who are at the bottom in advanced.....oh and by the way...getting a top in standard DOES NOT mean bottom in advanced....they are two different subjects....u cannot make such a generalisation.....and if a student achieved 99% at ur skool for advanced....then woah...thats lyk well.....as far as i can suggest from that...ur skool marks heaps easy or something along those lines....unless ur skool is a selective skool......then it's a different story

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)