• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chemical? (1 Viewer)

gcspsp

HSC
Hey

Just want to know about job prospects in chemical or even mechanical engineering, and the $$$

Which discipline would be the best (employment and pay wise) of the ones offered for a BE degree?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
High.

Mining gets paid the most.
Then it's the IT ones (electrical, software, telecommunications)

Chemical engineering also gets paid very well I think, as does Civil.

Any engineering grad gets paid shitloads though, so... choose the one that's actually interesting, not the one you might get slightly more money in.

doink

Clone
HSC
In terms of Money/Prospects:

1. Mining
2. Civil
3. Others
n-1: Aero (in aus), Biomed (in aus), Those stupid ones at UNSW that no1 does

If you enjoy your discipline you will get better marks which will lead to better prospects, all disciplines will plateu at around the same amount of money so no need to jump into it so much.

gcspsp

HSC
Cool, thanks guys!

One more question: in regards to recognition, would a BE be equally recognised as say...maybe a Masters or something like that.

I ask because I have recently been browsing through Melb Uni's courses (for whoever's in melbourne) and I have to say I'm quite puzzled. They have the option of a 4 year BE course, as well as a 2 year Masters (but thats provided you have a successfeul graduation from one of BSc, BCom etc.). I don't get the dman Melbourne Model!!

I have no clue about any of that...help?

cheeeeers

doink

Clone
HSC
You do a masters after a regular Bachelor degree. You can get a masters in engineering as well if you want, it is postgraduate stuff that you can decide to do afterwards and shouldn't reall worry about now.

gcspsp

HSC
doink said:
You do a masters after a regular Bachelor degree. You can get a masters in engineering as well if you want, it is postgraduate stuff that you can decide to do afterwards and shouldn't reall worry about now.
Yeah i know its postgrad, my actual dilemma is whether to do a BE and stop there or do something like BSc and end up in a Masters in Engineering...which would be better? Linkage: here

Thoughts?

doink

Clone
HSC
No it would not be better, 4 years of engineering is better then bsc and 2 yr master and 4 years engineering with 2 yr master is even better than that.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If you plan to do engineering, an actual BEng will do you a lot better than a BSc.

Engineering does honours implicitly in 4th year, so there's no need for a master's degree.

gcspsp

HSC
doink said:
No it would not be better, 4 years of engineering is better then bsc and 2 yr master and 4 years engineering with 2 yr master is even better than that.
Great thanks for that.

gcspsp

HSC
3unitz said:
anything to back that up or you just pulling it out of your arse? let me guess... you do civil engineering? :lol:
Lol, your thoughts then?

Coz I really would like to get into chemical...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
3unitz said:
anything to back that up or you just pulling it out of your arse? let me guess... you do civil engineering? :lol:
Civil engineers are typically public servants and they get paid a very decent sum. On top of that, they get a bunch of perks like a car and accommodation, I think.

Because they're public servants, they're pretty much always guaranteed a job, and as well as good financial security.

But compared to the rest of engineering, their pay is about the average.

gcsps: Chem is a good choice. There's a high demand for it and high job security. Think of all the important industries out there: agriculture, pharmaceuticals, medicine, beauty, food, water, energy, mining, etc. All of them employ a large number of chemical engineers because their operations are based off chemistry.

Roughly in order of pay:

Mining
Chemical
Electrical
Civil
Mechanical

Again, roughly in order of pay:

Chemical
Mining
Electrical
Mechanical
Civil

So your best bet is mining or chemical engineering if money is your goal. Note that chemical engineering has a faster rate of growth of salary than mining engineering. Not surprising considering we're hitting things like peak oil and peak phosphate.

It is important to note that all engineering disciplines pretty much get paid shitloads.

No go and do chemical engineering because you like it dude. Stop fucking worrying about which one gets paid $5 more. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gcspsp

HSC
Slidey said:
gcspsp: Chem is a good choice. There's a high demand for it and high job security. Think of all the important industries out there: agriculture, pharmaceuticals, medicine, beauty, food, water, energy, mining, etc. All of them employ a large number of chemical engineers because their operations are based off chemistry.

Roughly in order of pay:

Mining
Chemical
Electrical
Civil
Mechanical

Again, roughly in order of pay:

Chemical
Mining
Electrical
Mechanical
Civil
Great thanks a heap!

Just wanted to be sure that I won't be putting myself into a tough spot after uni.

Slidey said:
No go and do chemical engineering because you like it dude. Stop fucking worrying about which one gets paid $5 more. :rolleyes:
Lmao!

gcspsp

HSC
3unitz said:
i doubt theres a significant difference across the major engineering fields in terms of pay, with exception for mining. if youre good, you'll get paid well. although i would imagine chemical probably being one of the higher paid of the disciplines (agree somewhat with slideys post).
Thanks for your input!

just go for the one you like the most. if you only want to do engineering for money you'll end up dropping out in first few weeks. theres always other options too, especially combining engineering with another degree.[/quote]

Yeah i was considering that...Melbourne Uni makes it soo damn confusing!

gcspsp

HSC
Slidey said:
If you plan to do engineering, an actual BEng will do you a lot better than a BSc.

Engineering does honours implicitly in 4th year, so there's no need for a master's degree.
Really did NOT know that!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
gcspsp said:
Just wanted to be sure that I won't be putting myself into a tough spot after uni.
Never going to happen with an engineering degree mate. :)

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
Actually the demand in Australia for chem eng is shrinking.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
BIGTYMA said:
Actually the demand in Australia for chem eng is shrinking.
Actually, the demand in Australia for people who make dubious claims without citing any sources is shrinking.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
So quick to attack perhaps if you just googled a little bit you can see what im going on about.

There has been alot of acquisitions and mergers in the australian chemical industry so there are fewer positions.

http://www.caslon.com.au/benchmarknote6.htm

on other note i do chem eng and i am quite aware of my job prospects.

Edit - example Orica Australia Pty Limited and Aluminates Chemical Industries Group.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)