• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chippin' in for Petrol and other Matters (1 Viewer)

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
So...with the price of petrol these days, is it okay for a guy - whom you've been dating for less than 2 months, to ask you to 'chip' in?...and this leads onto another matter, what if you're not pampered? Even to a normal degree - like the guy paying at the movies, etc - what if he's not interested in that kind of dates to begin with - like, he only wants to be with you?! And doesn't actually suggest anything else to do?!

These are my probs...anyone help me out?!

sja

dingleberry
HSC
i accept helping money from girls

but i never, ever ask for it. seems so rude and unpolite. i would kill myself before saying "hey yeah give me petrol money....."

vern

HSC
My mate always drove us too the beach and every once in a while I gave him $20, nobody else did and he has the shits and once I get my P's I have to drive there. I don't mind but you sit and wonder who's fault

dddman

Banned
HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
So...with the price of petrol these days, is it okay for a guy - whom you've been dating for less than 2 months, to ask you to 'chip' in?...and this leads onto another matter, what if you're not pampered? Even to a normal degree - like the guy paying at the movies, etc - what if he's not interested in that kind of dates to begin with - like, he only wants to be with you?! And doesn't actually suggest anything else to do?!

is he jewish?

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
well....does he make you happy by doing stuff from time to time? cos if it's all take and no give..it's a bit strange u know what i mean? not necassarily buying u things at this stage maybe, but if the guy is with u then he should help u with ur assigments or somethin i duno rofl.....and chipping in is normal, how the hell r u supposed to liv with ur future woman/man if u dont help eachotha out BUT...it's rare for guys to ask girlfriends to chip in that early.....my fiance won't even accept when i offer...n weve been 2gether like foreva, he does but rarely, and he's the one who offers...or rather makes me accept lol...so yeah.... 2 months in your case methinks is a little early for him to ask such things....

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
o yea pampering part....well it depends on the type of girl u r.....and theres maany girls arent there hahaha....anyway if he wants to be with u as use u as a garnish for his food that aint right, but if he wana be with u cos he wana have fun and sees u as a friend n likes ur company that's good, imo that is pampering anyway, if u want flowers n things.....like ofcourse it'd b nice, but u shud take em as gifts..well i do anyway....if u just demand things that runs more along the lines of identity....as in do u like the guy or do u just like him for what he buys u...u have to think big and look at things from a broader spectrum.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm.... if it was "my girl" (hypothetical) then of course not- even if she offered. But anybody else who makes me drive considerably out of my way (and take up alot of my limited free time) I'm more than willing to *nudge* that petrol ain't free.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Cykologi_gal said:

Retard. Does pampering always have to mean money? Or is it impossible to do nice/sweet things without spending a lot of money?
Also weren't women supposed to be in favour of equality? While I would occassionally pay for something for my girlfriend, I'd expect her to do the same for me and while I wouldn't be tallying it up I think that usually comes close to even for both parties.

katy-g

HSC
Cykologi_gal said:

Cheapstake. GET OUT NOW. Its been less than 2 months.

Ok so like, i used to date this guy **Billy who at first i was pretty smitten with. We worked together and we always flirted and he made me laugh and kept me company on the night shifts and stuff. So we started dating and as the relationship progressed i realised how tight this guy was.

He worked part time and was at College and i was in year 11 and working on the weekends and stuff. He'd never pay for me with anything. Not to the movies, not even an ice cream at McDonalds. Apparently he was always broke. And i felt bad. We'd go out to dinner and he'd conveinently leave his wallet at home or only have $10 accessible from his account when he ate $60 worth of food.

Once he drove my g/f and i to the beach and we stopped off at mcdonalds on the way and he was sulking because he didnt have any money for food so i advanced him $10 for lunch saying it was for petrol money and stuff for driving us and he snatched it ordered, and then had the nerve to turn around and ask for another $3 so he could get more food then he really needed!!!

IN CONCLUSION unless your Paris Hilton with an wad of cash which will continue to flow through your accesible accounts forever, leave him. NOW. Because he'll either send you broke or drive you crazy or leaving you feel pretty worthless.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
katy-g said:
Cheapstake. GET OUT NOW. Its been less than 2 months.

Ok so like, i used to date this guy **Billy who at first i was pretty smitten with. We worked together and we always flirted and he made me laugh and kept me company on the night shifts and stuff. So we started dating and as the relationship progressed i realised how tight this guy was.

He worked part time and was at College and i was in year 11 and working on the weekends and stuff. He'd never pay for me with anything. Not to the movies, not even an ice cream at McDonalds. Apparently he was always broke. And i felt bad. We'd go out to dinner and he'd conveinently leave his wallet at home or only have $10 accessible from his account when he ate $60 worth of food.

Once he drove my g/f and i to the beach and we stopped off at mcdonalds on the way and he was sulking because he didnt have any money for food so i advanced him $10 for lunch saying it was for petrol money and stuff for driving us and he snatched it ordered, and then had the nerve to turn around and ask for another $3 so he could get more food then he really needed!!!

IN CONCLUSION unless your Paris Hilton with an wad of cash which will continue to flow through your accesible accounts forever, leave him. NOW. Because he'll either send you broke or drive you crazy or leaving you feel pretty worthless.
Although I'd never ask a gf to pay for my petrol (unless we were doing a massive road trip >1000km or something to that effect), it's not as unreasonable as the situations you've described, because in the petrol case he's paying for what he uses and vice versa, in that case everyone else is paying for him, which is completely unreasonable.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
It's reasonable to ask to chip in if its a long trip. Petrol is expensive.

Really, however, the old style 'the guy pays for everything if he's a gentleman' is utter bullshit. Who pays for what all depends on the circumstances. Not all guys have the money and a girl who is understanding and caring will understand that.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I think.. if it's like a holiday away or something chipping in for petrol is sweet.. if it's him dropping you off home.. even if u live like an hour away, no way would I chip in, lol.
If he's get'n some he lol has no right to ask for u to chip in for petrol, lol.. it's like the rules I swear it..

and yeah.. I never let a guy pay for my meal or a movie ticket or what ever... so I think I deserve a free ride home and some loving at the end of it :p

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
If you guys are going out somewhere together and you're DATING you shouldn't be expected to pay for petrol if he's driving, and he shouldn't be expected to pay if you're driving.

Sometimes I drive and sometimes my boyfriend drives that way we don't have this problem. But if you're seeing this guy, "normal social rules" suggest that paying for petrol is a little silly. Alternating between who pays for dates is fine. I refuse to let my boyfriend pay everytime, coz I don't think it's fair, even though he gets very angry with me. You pay one night, he can pay the next, then it works out fair.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
My b/f would always pay for everything around and after the 2 month period, even if I offered. Now I try to pay for my own and pay for him sometimes but he never asked me. I think its fair enough for u to offer and perhaps even him to accept but to ask, that irks me. If he aks for driving you home etc thats just tight, unless its a road trip or something, or you need him to drive you somewhere way out of the way no, its not that he's the guy but I wouldnt do it either.

Skeeta

HSC
if you dont drive, then i dont think its unnacceptable. If he drives you to your dates, picks you up, drops you home etc. it all adds up.

Especially if hes a student, and isnt earning a lot of money

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I wouldnt ask, unless it was a considerable drive, greater than say 2 hours.
If offered however, i would take it. Thats not just with girlfriends either, thats with pretty much everyone.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
SweetSeasons said:
I think.. if it's like a holiday away or something chipping in for petrol is sweet.. if it's him dropping you off home.. even if u live like an hour away, no way would I chip in, lol.
If he's get'n some he lol has no right to ask for u to chip in for petrol, lol.. it's like the rules I swear it..

and yeah.. I never let a guy pay for my meal or a movie ticket or what ever... so I think I deserve a free ride home and some loving at the end of it :p
What? Never let a guy pay for your meal or a movie ticket?
Even with your boyfriend?

or you mean with normal male friends?

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Well, it's not for road trip, just driving to and from parks etc...Personally I think it's unfair, considering it's such short distances - like, would you count BiCent. from Strath. far?!

SweetSeasons

HSC
(^o^) said:
What? Never let a guy pay for your meal or a movie ticket?
Even with your boyfriend?

or you mean with normal male friends?
with my bf's.. it just doesn't feel right.. it's the whole they are uni students and dopn't earn much money thing.. n I earn my own money as well.. so yeah..

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Cykologi_gal said:
Well, it's not for road trip, just driving to and from parks etc...Personally I think it's unfair, considering it's such short distances - like, would you count BiCent. from Strath. far?!
oh, okay, that is a bit tight-arsed.

so i suppose he wants you to pay him back? well, it's only fair to only pay for what you use:

- first, go to whereis.comhttp://www.whereis.com and work out the distance between Strathfield and Bicentennial Park (roughly 5.26km)

- second, go to motormouth.com.auhttp://www.motormouth.com.au and work out what petrol is like in his area (for this example, i looked up Strati postcode 2135, and the average petrol price is about $1.37 per litre.

- finally, go to drive.com.auhttp://www.drive.com.au and work out the fuel consumption of his vehicle (for this example, let's assume he drives a Honda Civic, with a fuel consumption of 7.2L/100km).

on the information above, you owe him the princely sum of 52 cents. give him 55 cents and ask him to keep the change. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)