• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (4 Viewers)

lengstar

HSC
dark_angel said:
Sikhism believes that people of different religions are equally capable of achieving salvation while still following their own religion.

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become one of their number. Allah does not guide the wrongdoers." (5:49, Quran)

"Mohammed is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (48:29, Quran)

"When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Allah is forgiving and merciful." (9:4, Quran)

"There is a garden, in which so many plants have grown. They bear the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam as their fruit. Consider this, O wise one, by which you may attain the state of Nirvaanaa. All around this garden are pools of poison, but within it is the Ambrosial Nectar, O Siblings of Destiny. There is only one gardener who tends it. He takes care of every leaf and branch. He brings all sorts of plants and plants them there. They all bear fruit - none is without fruit." (Guru Arjan Dev, Asa, pg. 385)

"The temple or the mosque are the same, the Hindu worship or the Musalman prayer are the same; all men are the same; it is through error they appear different. Deities, demons, Yakshas, heavenly singers, Musalmans and Hindus adopt the customary dress of their different countries. All men have the same eyes, the same ears, the same body, the same build, a compound of earth, air, fire, and water. Allah and Abhekh are the same, the Purans and the Quran are the same; they are all alike; it is the one God who created all. The Hindu God and the Muhammadan God are the same; let no man even by mistake suppose there is a difference." (Guru Gobind Singh, Akal Ustat, pg. 275)
If this is so, as Not-To-Bright stated, why does it matter what I believe in then?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, but then what is the purpose in believing?

I can believe nothing and still have salvation, so what's the point of belief?
Without devotion to the Name Divine is birth in the world gone waste. Such consume poison, poisonous their utterance; Without devotion to the Name, without gain they die, and after death in transmigration wander." (Guru Nanak, Raga Bhairon)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, but then what is the purpose in believing?

I can believe nothing and still have salvation, so what's the point of belief?
Without devotion to the Name Divine is birth in the world gone waste. Such consume poison, poisonous their utterance; Without devotion to the Name, without gain they die, and after death in transmigration wander." (Guru Nanak, Raga Bhairon)

"Meditation of the Lord is the highest of the deeds, through which myriads obtain release, through which the thirst (of desires) is quenched, through which one becomes all knowing, through which the fear of death goes away, through which all the desires are fulfilled, through which the dirt of the mind is cleansed and the Nectar of the Name of God is absorbed in the mind" (Guru Nanak, Gauri Suk

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
....Translate that into english perhaps? So as long as you believe in a god, any god... you will go to heaven or whatever?

I must tell you this is the most vague religion i've ever heard of if such is the case, you might as well make one up that's the 'i have thoughts' religion, if you have a belief wether it be in a god or not in a god you will go to heaven and have whatever you want... lol

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
....Translate that into english perhaps? So as long as you believe in a god, any god... you will go to heaven or whatever?

I must tell you this is the most vague religion i've ever heard of if such is the case, you might as well make one up that's the 'i have thoughts' religion, if you have a belief wether it be in a god or not in a god you will go to heaven and have whatever you want... lol
well it is in english.....

Sikhism was founded by Guru Nanak who shaped a new, unique and distinct religion during his lifetime. Under the stewardship of the Ten Gurus Sikhism was able to gather many followers from other religions. Although the Gurus were critical of other religions they very strongly believed in religious freedom. They also emphasized that the most important thing was not which faith one followed but the remembrance of God at all time and the leading of a decent and honourable life. Due to it's relatively young nature Sikhism is sometimes misunderstood to be only a reform movement or branch of older existing religions. This is certainly not the case, like all religions there are some similarities as well as differences.

hmmm to give u a persepective:

Religions of the World
Rank Religion Followers
1. Christianity 1,830 mil.
2. Islam 971 mil.
3. Hinduism 732 mil.
4. Buddhism 314 mil.
5. Sikhism 19 mil. <-------------------- my religion
6. Judaism 18 mil.
7. Shamanists 10 mil.
8. Confucianism 6 mil.
9. Bahai 6 mil.
10. Jainism 4 mil.
11. Shinto 3 mil.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think ur numbers aren't entirely accurate but the list probably is...

So does sikhism teach, that christians, muslims etc will go to heaven?
Will atheists go to heaven?

lengstar

HSC
I think she's saying that you can believe in God and not in religion and still be able to ascend to the heights of Heaven as long as you live your life well and in the name of a Holy Devine.

P.S. i know your a guy i'm just messin with ya

lengstar

HSC
haha belief in mortal heroes is no different from belief in a holy deity in my opinion

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hey joujou_84, just wondering what year are you in and have you done studies of religion? Also is your knowledge of Islam sound? Not to discredit you, but in SOR students often ask questions of religions other than Judaism and Christianity and unfortunately most cannot help so myself and snapperhead are looking for 'residental experts' on all the religions so that when a student asks a question it can be answered with some degree of certainty, especially for Islam. PM me if interested

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
dark_angel said:
Sikhism believes that people of different religions are equally capable of achieving salvation while still following their own religion.

From the quran (islam)

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become one of their number. Allah does not guide the wrongdoers." (5:49, Quran)

ok someone plz explain y this is so, i think that is a bit sad

"Mohammed is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (48:29, Quran)

"When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Allah is forgiving and merciful." (9:4, Quran)
i think u are quite sad.,................r u making these quotes up...........this is not in the qoran. if u would like to know wat it says at those particular numbers then im more than happy to write them down.......u have not written a single word correctly.........tell me where ur quoting this crap from............heres some advice........dont get quotes from christian, atheist or anti-islamic sites.......some other advice......go buy a qoran, then u can make sure wat ur writing is correct instead of saying this crap is in the qoran

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think ur numbers aren't entirely accurate but the list probably is...

So does sikhism teach, that christians, muslims etc will go to heaven?
Will atheists go to heaven?
to tell u the truth, that is a difficult question to answer, it does not really matter what religion you are or what faiths u practice, as long as you meditate on the one god, i guess u will achieve salvation.

one thing i like about sikhism is that there are no priests, like the gurus thought that they were too full of ego and mamon.

Its just yourself and the holy text (sri guru granth sahib)

and when you first read the book, i cant explain it, all i can say was that i was crying, all of the writings were so true..ah i cannot explain it

I'm currently learning more about my religion so i'll get back to u when i find that out

the trouble is i cant read the main holy book because its in an old language i havent learnt yet :)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
lengstar said:
I think she's saying that you can believe in God and not in religion and still be able to ascend to the heights of Heaven as long as you live your life well and in the name of a Holy Devine.

P.S. i know your a guy i'm just messin with ya

hahahah i was just gonna post u on that...lol

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
acmilan said:
Hey joujou_84, just wondering what year are you in and have you done studies of religion? Also is your knowledge of Islam sound? Not to discredit you, but in SOR students often ask questions of religions other than Judaism and Christianity and unfortunately most cannot help so myself and snapperhead are looking for 'residental experts' on all the religions so that when a student asks a question it can be answered with some degree of certainty, especially for Islam. PM me if interested

i just finished year 12 and i have a pretty good understanding of islam.........i wasnt born into islam so i dont blindly follow............i have studied it and other religions and i often refer to books or scholars if i have a problem. its pretty sound yeh

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
i think u are quite sad.,................r u making these quotes up...........this is not in the qoran. if u would like to know wat it says at those particular numbers then im more than happy to write them down.......u have not written a single word correctly.........tell me where ur quoting this crap from............heres some advice........dont get quotes from christian, atheist or anti-islamic sites.......some other advice......go buy a qoran, then u can make sure wat ur writing is correct instead of saying this crap is in the qoran
I noticed the same when they were quoting the Bible, i dont know about the qoran but for the bible there are a number of different versions and if quoting you should really only stick to one version. I remember someone quoted from a 'skeptics annotated Bible' or something like that.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
joujou_84 said:
http://www.sikhs.org/relig_qm.htm

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Non-Sikhs are allowed to visit and enter the most sacred shrine of the religion, The Golden Temple.

"Believers, know that the idolaters are unclean. Let them not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year is ended" (9:26, Quran)

"Blessed is the place, and blessed are those who dwell there, where God's Name is meditated upon. The sermons and songs of God's praises are sung there and there is nothing but peace, poise and tranquillity." (Guru Arjan Dev, Raga Bilaval, pg. 816)

"If the Lord Allah lives only in the mosque, then to whom does the rest of the world belong? …The God of the Hindus lives in the southern lands, and the God of the Muslims lives in the west. So search in your heart - look deep into your heart of hearts; this is the home and the place where God lives." (Bhagat Kabir, pg. 1349)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
i just finished year 12 and i have a pretty good understanding of islam.........i wasnt born into islam so i dont blindly follow............i have studied it and other religions and i often refer to books or scholars if i have a problem. its pretty sound yeh
So would you be willing to look through the SOR forum every now and again to answer any islam question that may arise? It probably wont be as big an issue until probably mid next year as islam is usually only referred to during the cross religion study which is the last option. If you agree i will make it aware to the public that they should direct questions to you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)