• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

failing a subject at uni, does not make u dumb (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Generator said:
I was going through a 'F*** uni!' phase :p. Something like that tends to happen at least once a year, I think. Part of the experience, I guess.
Ah, OK then:).

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Generator said:
I was going through a 'F*** uni!' phase :). Something like that tends to happen at least once a year, I think. Part of the experience, I guess.
yup, i am going through mine at the moment.... not such a good idea considering it is stuvac and i have exams next week..... hmmm. And my sis is getting annoyed coz i keep throwing my books at the wall.... .

Yesterday i was in the crying "maybe i'm not cut out for this, maybe i should be doing something else" phase, and today i am in the " stuff uni, i couldn't give a crap" phase.

Hooray for the phases of stuvac!

Prediction... tomorrow night i shall be in the "oh shit why didnt i study more yesterday" phase.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah, studying is so boring. You just have to force yourself sometimes:mad:.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
evilc said:
Yeah, science is a bitch :p i have only done one science subject and it had a pretty big workload. And with the failing subjects issue, I had a tutor first year who failed the course that he was tutoring back when he was an undergraduate, and is now doing a Phd in the same topic :p
im gona rebuke u :p

science is easy pizy, i didnt do any study and got above C aver. :D

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Generator said:
Uni isn't that bad. In time you get used to the work (which is as demanding as you want it to be).

On the topic of failing... Each to their own, I think. I cannot stand my results, but I am yet to fail a unit (I'm moving into my 6th exam period), my WAM is hovering around 74 and I have only ever received two pass grades (both in the 60s and for maths units, too). Though I may not look down upon those who fail as such, I do ask them how they managed to do so, because in my mind I cannot see how it is possible (I have always thought that just turning up and attempting each assessment should be enough to pass).

Not-That-Bright, most degrees tend to be comparable in terms of the required workload, it's just that the nature of this work may differ substantially, such as between say an arts and a science degree. Personal strengths also play a role, too.
i can prove u wrong. :D

i have attended every class for law and in a failing stage atm. :(

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Generator said:
Uni isn't that bad. In time you get used to the work (which is as demanding as you want it to be).

On the topic of failing... Each to their own, I think. I cannot stand my results, but I am yet to fail a unit (I'm moving into my 6th exam period), my WAM is hovering around 74 and I have only ever received two pass grades (both in the 60s and for maths units, too). Though I may not look down upon those who fail as such, I do ask them how they managed to do so, because in my mind I cannot see how it is possible (I have always thought that just turning up and attempting each assessment should be enough to pass).

Not-That-Bright, most degrees tend to be comparable in terms of the required workload, it's just that the nature of this work may differ substantially, such as between say an arts and a science degree. Personal strengths also play a role, too.
no offence but u sound up urself

ziggyboy

HSC
The fact that you got into uni means you *can* pass your subjects.

There are students who initially didn't get into uni, went to TAFE, transferred to uni after a year or so and never fail a subject...but some who easily got into uni but somehow accumulated a whole plethora of failures.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
honky tonk said:
I only ever hope to pass an assessment. The standards are much higher, and the lecturers often like to think you should know the course inside out.
and they seem to take great joy from our pain and suffering (Josh, castration is the way to go)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yep, it all depends on how much time you can.. or WANT to allocate to your studies. This semester, I allocated little, hence I can expect mediocre results. But if I put in more effort, then I know I could do alot better. But with exams coming up, the only relevant point for me now is how good my CRAMMING is.

Not-That-Bright said:
from what i've heard any sorta arts degree usually involves alot of writing, work n shit and apparently science degree's aren't that strenuous? help?
Lemme guess, you heard that from only Arts students?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha ah yes, arts students. We could talk about them all day.

Fortunately UTS doesn't have any...however we do have a whole bunch of people who really like to THINK they are arts students.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Arts and Science are fucking easy degrees. The hardest degree offered at USYD is the BMus (Comp.). Everything is worth only 3 credit points, and they expect 6 hours of study/practice + 1-3 contact hours for each of those 3 credit points subjects. So when you do a load of 24 credit points, it's a real bitch. Science students have it easy, and Arts students can get fucked - I do an Arts subject, it's the easiest subject on my transcript.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
if u can get to uni I have utmost respect for u and anyone who doesnt should sample how hard it really is. If ur fortunate enough to be a ntural then good luck to u, dont put urself down by being arrogant, it gets u no where. Cheers to the thread started and goodluck to all u uni ppl

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
Arts and Science are fucking easy degrees. The hardest degree offered at USYD is the BMus (Comp.).
So its the hardest simply because you are doing it? Just because you aren't doing science doesn't mean it's not difficult.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
Arts and Science are fucking easy degrees. The hardest degree offered at USYD is the BMus (Comp.). Everything is worth only 3 credit points, and they expect 6 hours of study/practice + 1-3 contact hours for each of those 3 credit points subjects. So when you do a load of 24 credit points, it's a real bitch. Science students have it easy, and Arts students can get fucked - I do an Arts subject, it's the easiest subject on my transcript.
But you don't do science. So what the fuck are you talking about?
So by undertaking 1 Arts subject, that allows you to generalize upon the difficulty of all Arts subjects and hence the difficulty of the degree, does it?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
pfft .. failing at uni is not tryin..
btw to the person who was bitchin bout science not being hard :eek: OMFG.. i did a science and an art for electives... science is bitch harder than the arts one.. :S both were without prereqs.

wait till u find a self-directed course.. cos its about 6 hrs a night of work .. and there isnt necessarily an answer.. total is 24 credit points with 28 contact hrs.. falling a sleep in 20 hrs of tuts is pretti obvious...

shannonm

HSC
N/A
when you talk about science/arts/blah, wouldn't it help to specify which courses your talking about?
i'd like to see someone complete 2nd year b.sc in engineering phys and tell em that was a walk in the park.. then have a look at some random major like environmental systems.

dont get me started on arts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)