• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

GENERAL MATHS~ help!! (1 Viewer)

leannespeaks

HSC
Hey guys! i would like to know if you have any , any , any tips, advices or suggestions on how to achieve a successful mark in general maths.

in my current situation, gen. maths is my weakest subject yet ..
and i'm really disappointed about my half yearly marks even though i studied my heart out..

any tips, comments, advices you would give away ..would be greatly appreciated :) thanks!

leannespeaks

HSC
I do homework...but yeah , you're right, i get wrong answers often, i think i need a hell lot of revision....but i don't know how to begin?

leannespeaks

HSC
magpam said:
ask questions

consider a tutor

have a study group... etc.

try understanding the basic concept first

then try doing the most basic questions and work towards harder ones

find out your weaknesses and work on them by doing the above
Thanks!!......but i can't really afford a tutor...so might as well form a study group..
i reallly think i should put twice the effort on studying and revising maths...since its my weakest subjec...

does study guides help as well?

HSC
leannespeaks said:
Thanks!!......but i can't really afford a tutor...so might as well form a study group..
i reallly think i should put twice the effort on studying and revising maths...since its my weakest subjec...

does study guides help as well?
ideally you probably want a tutor. but failing that, ask your teacher for some help. teachers are more inclined to help someone who has gone out of their way to learn things. or maybe some of your friends, im sure they will help! :)

leannespeaks

HSC
watatank said:
ideally you probably want a tutor. but failing that, ask your teacher for some help. teachers are more inclined to help someone who has gone out of their way to learn things. or maybe some of your friends, im sure they will help! :)

yeah...mybe that would help.....
i heard something about mathletics......is this a tutoring centre or wat?

leannespeaks

HSC
awwww reallyy?!:eek:!! u sure? Thanks!!!

yea i got only one math textbook...unfortunately it's like ...7-8 years old

and some of the answers written on the back of the book are so wrong!

if you're still willing to give it away..just send me a message

lol i sound like i'm desperate or sumething..

$135.00 P+H[/quote]

HSC
leannespeaks said:
yeah...mybe that would help.....
i heard something about mathletics......is this a tutoring centre or wat?
not sure but i can assure you you will benefit much more from private tutoring or some equivalent alternative.

leannespeaks

HSC
magpam said:
lol :rofl:

i think he means the typical chinese asian

your filo? kool

im filo too :wave:

really?? hi 5!!!!!!!!

it would be good if i got a asian friend who is willing to help...
at my school, some of my asian friends are too busy with their maths work as welll..
i don't want to be a distraction to them...

how about past HSC papers..do they help>?

Last edited:

Hallatia

HSC
I did not do general in preliminary, but I must say when I moved term 4 of last year at the start of year 12, it felt so great, it has been really easy for me ever since, but that may be because I did a high level of maths my whole life, if you want I can tutor you, I tutor some of the people in my class, I teach them more than the teacher does lol

leannespeaks

HSC
you lucky one!!
well.. thanks for the offer though, but i can't really afford tutoring , even i have been longing badly to have one

ahh...unfortunate circumstance indeed..

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
First of listend in class, if u have a deadshit teacher then its up to you.

1) Do you have any friends thats good at maths? If yes ask away
2) Go over the textbook yourself, i am sure most of the general stuff are straight forward, as you have done most of them in years 9 and 10
3) Do some past papers, what ever you get wrong go ask a maths teacher!
4) I am sure there is a pool of maths freak here at BOS, get some MSNs and ask away!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
magpam said:
hey f3nr15 i thought you did 2 U for some reason
I browse round here occasionally,
then once I found Without Wings post with a link to the General Maths formula sheet, that's how I found out and yes I am still in 2U AND Ext. 1 Maths.

Some people in Physics rely on the formula sheet in exams and it costs valuable time to find the right formula, it costs time and the formula sheet is best used for recollecting.

If you're in Physics or General Maths and you think "Damn what's that formula for maximum height for projectile ? Was it uy times t whatever it was ..." or "What the hell was the formula for Simpon's Rule ??? It was h over 3 something something ....", then you flick through the sheet and go "Oh OK that's it !", the formula sheet is most efficient for memory refreshing/recollection.

Last edited:

leannespeaks

HSC
z600 said:
First of listend in class, if u have a deadshit teacher then its up to you.

1) Do you have any friends thats good at maths? If yes ask away
2) Go over the textbook yourself, i am sure most of the general stuff are straight forward, as you have done most of them in years 9 and 10
3) Do some past papers, what ever you get wrong go ask a maths teacher!
4) I am sure there is a pool of maths freak here at BOS, get some MSNs and ask away!

yeah.....btw...i not only have a deadshit teacher....but also a pyscho as welll...

our common conversation:

"ohkaay shut up you litttle kiddies! my wife's been nagging me last night and i don;t want any of your mouths open, YOU (points at me), you have been staring at the whiteboard(his written question) for like an eon now...what's wrong?

Me : sir, i really need help with this...(desperate cry)

sir : ohkay ....i'll come to you in a sec..

me: (waits until he answers everyone's question whic would often take about at least half the period... i would then try to attempt other questions written on the board)

5 minutes before the bell..

sir : *he comes to me * oopss.. sorry about that, now what is your question?

me : (upset) never mind, i already ask for help from (insert name of one of the smart fellows in the class)

sir : oh ok...carry on!!

NOW YOU SEE WHY...

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
You being serious? He speaks to you like that?

aiz

HSC
N/A
noir. said:
You should stop relying on your math teacher to help you learn topics covered in the textbook. The beauty of general math is that you're able to teach yourself the work. If your teacher is crap, then get cracking - find yourself a tutor or friend who can help you. Don't exchange emails and work through msn/email - thats crap.

Seriously. I was ranked 12th during prelim, but now that my teacher has become pregnant and lazy i have had to push myself to do the work [im behind 2 chapters of homework...]

And now im ranked 6th :)

Do past papers, do chapter reviews, make notes on a few things. You should be fine.
so true.. for half of my subjects i -have- to rely on textbooks!

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
If you're struggling at general, there's something wrong there...

/thread.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
noir. said:
No.

You shouldn't assume that because its called "general mathematics" it is easier than 2U.
The work is entirely different. You'd be amazed at how many people struggle and fail assessments.
My mistake then.

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
I don't think I'd do as well in Maths if I had dropped from 2U/Ext to General. The basic things are what throws me out of balance. :shy:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)