• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Greatest Sell Out Band Of All Time! (1 Viewer)

djmattyd

HSC
Alicia Keys didn't sell out, she jumped on no bandwagon.

I agree with Hoobastank, "The Reason" was such a sellout, I liked their self-titled release.

Jewel sold out last album.

artfag

Banned
HSC
jandek sold out when he made a live appearance

spiny norman

HSC
Trippendicular said:
Prince sold out when he changed his name to that pretentious sign thing
How? He did that in protest of the record company, proceeded to attempt to get out of the record company and start his own independent label and his songs became less popular (keep in note he was probably third in line after Michael Jackson and Madonna at the time).

You may think he musically declined, but to say he "sold out" implies that you put little to no thought into that statement.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
jaysus do you guys equate commercial success with selling out? what if the music is just so good that it became popular or is that thought too complicated to entertain? what are artists meant do? eat their own cds? no, they gotta make some money to earn a living.

tall poppy syndrome is well and truly alive. but i understand.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Dunno about the greatest, but one of the most disappointing was Blink 182... and there are probably others I can't think of right now. But some bands are just born as sellouts (think Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, etc.) Yes I am aware that being born a sellout means you can't BECOME a sellout...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Zoltan said:
Dunno about the greatest, but one of the most disappointing was Blink 182... and there are probably others I can't think of right now. But some bands are just born as sellouts (think Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne, etc.) Yes I am aware that being born a sellout means you can't BECOME a sellout...
please explain to me how blink 182 sold out? as i said musical evolution is not selling out... i will agree that they did change their style drmtically between two albums but wouldnt you think that the introduction of travis and a three year gap had something to do with that?

and to say that about avril and good charlotte is dumb... course they suck but natural born sellouts? hmmmm

le baa

HSC
Zoltan said:
They're not sell outs, as they never compromised any musical integrity -- they had none to begin with. Both jumped on the "pop punk" bandwagon in order for fame and money, and I don't think anyone can disagree that they've obtainted vast amounts of both.

Last edited:

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Trippendicular said:
I like the added emphasis on 'cut you', how romantic. David Bowie sold out to an extent, although Labyrinth is still a classy movie
no way! david bowie is true and consistent... under pressure is one of the greatest songs of all time, david bowie + freddy mercury = musical genius

the_atomium

Bastard Harbour Mastah
HSC
is it still selling out if you change your already succesful, money earning sound, losing loyal fans in the process, to a more esoteric, obscure and unmarketable one?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i forgot another band completely that make me want to vomit blood.
U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they went from being all political and having such a heavy loyalty to ireland in their songs ie bloody sunday to this new shit

look at these lyrics... just look at them

Unos, dos, tres, catorce [1,2,3,14]

Turn it up loud, captain!

Lights go down
It's dark
The jungle is your head
Can't rule your heart
I'm feeling so much stronger
Than I thought
Your eyes are wide
And though your soul
it can't be bought
your mind can wander

Hello, Hello
Hola! [Spanish for Hello]
I'm at a place called vertigo (¿Dónde está?) [Where is it?]
It's everything I wish I didn't know
Except you give me something I can feel
Feel

The night is full of holes
Those bullets rip the sky
Of ink with gold
They twinkle as the boys play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know

I can sell the beat
I'm askin' for the cheque
Girl with crimson nails
Has Jesus 'round the neck
Swinging to the music
Swinging to the music
Woooao

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo (¿Dónde está?) [Where is it?]
It's everything I wish I didn't know
But you give me something I can feel
Feel

All this, all this can be yours
All of this, all of this can be yours
All this, all of this can be yours
Just give me what I want
And no one gets hurt

Hello, Hello
Hola!
I'm at a place called Vertigo
Lights go down and all I know
Is that you give me something I can feel
You're teaching me ...aaahhh
Your love is teaching me ...aaaah
How to kneel
Kneel

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

END LYRICS

first of all why the fuck are they using spanish in their lyrics? i bet now if you asked the majority of americans they would think that u2 were american... i fucking dispise this song... funnily enough i was on maddox this afternoon and found he has similar ideas about vertigo

As sanctimonious as U2 tries to be, the reason their faces are lit during the commercial isn't because they're larger-than-life rock stars, but rather, because they're not. When was the last time U2 had a hit? Or a flop? Or anything for that matter? Their last major release was in 2000, an album which was so inconsequential that merely labeling it as such bumps it into a lesser category of sucktitude (but just barely, so eat shit). If their faces weren't lit up, nobody would know who they were except for the most diehard U2 fans, and nobody cares what they think.

As for the "Vertigo" song itself, it's a mix of twangy guitars, unnecessary spanish, and Bono's stupid glasses. By the way, just because a singer wears stupid goggles doesn't mean that they're suddenly cool or hip. Oooh look! Bono the rock star is wearing redneck Nascar goggles, let's all fellate him for being so rebellious; take that Hollywood! They're still the same goggles that dumbass Nascar fans wear to every boring Nascar "event." Man I hate Nascar. And while I'm at it, here's a quick open letter to the NASCAR community: quit writing poems about Dale Earnhardt. Nobody cares. And no, it wasn't NASCAR's fault for not making the tracks wide enough. Nobody would watch NASCAR if it weren't for the wrecks because it's BORING. You love the wrecks because it gives you people something to talk about in your boring lives; don't get all teary eyed when one of your redneck heroes bites it, you hypocritical turds. The wall won, get over it.

Anyway, back to Vertigo: this song sucks so much because of the unique tag-team trio of shitty music, the forced chic of iPod ads, and its stupid fan base. I looked around on some U2 message boards to see what the fans were saying about this song and its turgid lyrics, here's what fan member "Bob" has to say:

Vertigo actually has some seriously heavy lyric - but I bet most of mainstream radio listeners will never know what they mean - I love that! It makes me feel priviledged [sic] to know what the man has to say - there are so many invaluable messages in their albums, certainly this one will be another thought provoking and life influencing scripture.

Here's a sample of the "seriously heavy lyrics" in Vertigo:

WoooAoo! WoooAoo! WoooAoo! WoooAoo! Click here to listen (49k mp3):

And who could forget this poignant verse:

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah,
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Click here to listen (96k mp3):

Yeah, real heavy lyrics, dipshit. When Bono's not mumbling like an idiot, he's trying to be emotional by flailing his arms in the air like he's so overcome that he can't help but bellow out a limp-dick line like "I can feeeeEEEEEEeeeeeel." Pussy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)