• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP PLS!!! I Few Questions on RESULTS!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Princeps_

HSC
HELP PLS!!! A Few Questions on RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I need guidence, on a few issues, with my results. I recieved a WD for STATICS, because i didnt attend the exam (car wouldent start coz it was so damn cold in t- he middle of the road, so there was no point doing the exam 2 hrs late so i skipped it), I also recieved a 48 GP for MATH1131this a direct consquence of the statics WD or something else. If not when will i recieve the final result. Do i have to sit the Sup?

Ok now considering, i cant do the sup, and i fail both statics and math as a result, How do i apply for summer session MATH1121.

LAST scenario, if i dont attend the sup exam, if im able to, what happens, do i still fail both maths and statcs, or jsut statics.

OK sorry it was so much crap to take in :p

THX in advance. :eek:

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
Princeps_ said:
I recieved a WD for STATICS ...
Check the science webpage to see when the sup is on, then do the sup

Princeps_ said:
if i dont attend the sup exam,... what happens
You will fail Statics

Princeps_ said:
I also recieved a 48 GP for MATH1131
Now for a Pass Conceded they follow an algorithm which is determine by your WAM calculated excluding Maths. If the WAM (including the marks for statics) is above a certain marks than you are awarded a Pass (PC).

Whether you are eligible for a supp in maths depends whether they awared you a WD/WC for maths. If you're unsure then you should phone the School of Maths to see if you can do the supp. They do not notify people if they can do supp, but they will inform you upon asking.

Princeps_ said:
LAST scenario, if i dont attend the sup exam, if im able to, what happens, do i still fail both maths and statcs, or jsut statics.
Depending how you went in the other subjects.

If you fail statics, it is highly likely you fail maths.
If you pass statics, it is less likely you fail maths.

At this stage the result is not deterministic, that is it depends on your result of other subjects.

Princeps_

HSC
Ok, since i got a GP for maths, when will they notify me wheter i got a PC or not, will this be after, i do the sup Statics (Cven1023) exam, and will it be determined based on my result of the sup exam with my other subjects, or the results based just on my other subects, since i got credit for my other 3 subjects.???

thx for the help

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
Princeps_ said:
Ok, since i got a GP for maths, when will they notify me wheter i got a PC or not, will this be after, i do the sup Statics (Cven1023) exam, and will it be determined based on my result of the sup exam with my other subjects, or the results based just on my other subects, since i got credit for my other 3 subjects.???

thx for the help
Here is how it should go:

1. You do the Supp for Static
2. New final mark for Static
3. A temporary WAM (WAM excluding maths) is calculated. Base on this a decision on PC/FL will be made
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/Grades.html.
You will probably need a temporary WAM of 53 or above for a PC in maths. So you work backword to see what final marks for static you need for that.
4. Result updated on my.unsw (probably no email/phone call telling you the result). I think result will be finalised before 2nd week of next semester.

Edit: no supp for maths, maths grade are decided a day after your static result is up.

Last edited:

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Is it realistic to think that the supplementary exam results will be out before the semester commences since the results of the exam will determine whether I do dynamics or not?

Princeps_

HSC
^ I Hope So, zkuld did u check ur elligible or not, or are u jsut going to turn up. Gman, WHAT will i be doing for the 1st week since, i have MATH1231, assigned to S2, what happens if i then find out i failed the statics and hence the math, do i have to drop 1231, and pik up 1131 again or..

THx again man uve been a great help.

Last edited:

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Princeps_ said:
^ I Hope So, zkuld did u check ur elligible or not, or are u jsut going to turn up. Gman, WHAT will i be doing for the 1st week since, i have MATH1231, assigned to S2, what happens if i then find out i failed the statics and hence the math, do i have to drop 1231, and pik up 1131 again or..

THx again man uve been a great help.
anyone that got a mark between 40-49 can turn up to the supp test without giving anyone any prior notice.

Eligibility for supplementary exams will be indicated in the exam results as follows:

* anyone with a grade of WC, PC or GP
* anyone with a mark between 40 and 49 with a grade of FAIL for any course which had a scheduled exam during the formal exam period
* students with a grade of WD - if students are unsure of whether a supplimentary exam is required they should check with School Office (9385 5033) or course co-ordinator.
http://www.civeng.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/ug/supplementary.htm

gman03

HSC
Princeps_ said:
Gman, WHAT will i be doing for the 1st week since, i have MATH1231, assigned to S2, what happens if i then find out i failed the statics and hence the math, do i have to drop 1231, and pik up 1131 again or..
if the result is not finalised before week 1 then continue to do 1231 as if you have passed (unless my.unsw bitch about it then drop to 1131)

if result is finalised after week 1 and you need to drop to Maths 1B, then swap 1131 with 1231 in my.unsw and see School of Maths for tutorial allocation.

Acid

HSC
Shit gman.... you're like really, really into Uni aren't you!?

Nah i'm just jealous, congrats on your WAM. :)

zkuld

newblet
HSC
it's surprising that someone that's probably never failed a subject in their entire life know so much about failing or other weirdo circumstances.

Princeps_

HSC
Since i got, 48 GP MAth 1131, and WD for statics, if i do the sup exam for statics and i fail it, will this alter the WAM, since mine says 14 passed from 20 graded, But i do 24 units (statics is 4 uoc). So will this alter my WAM.

If i dont do the statics exam, waht grade will it show, AF??? and will this also Alter my WAM??

thx again.

gman03

HSC
Princeps_ said:
Since i got, 48 GP MAth 1131, and WD for statics, if i do the sup exam for statics and i fail it, will this alter the WAM, since mine says 14 passed from 20 graded, But i do 24 units (statics is 4 uoc). So will this alter my WAM.

If i dont do the statics exam, waht grade will it show, AF??? and will this also Alter my WAM??

thx again.
At this moment, your Term WAM has not yet been calculated.

WAM means the average mark you get per uoc.

Say you have, on average, X per uoc for the 14 uoc you have passed.

Now say you got a final mark of S for your statics. Then

* Grade for Maths is determined of the marks you got for the 14 uoc AND statics, so they look at the average: ( X * 14 + S * 4 ) / 18

* Your Term WAM is independent from your grade for maths and your Term WAM is calculated by: ( X * 14 + S * 4 + 48 * 6) / 24

Doin/Not doing the Supp for Statics WILL alter your WAM. If you don't do the supp then you will get either FL, UF or AF. An AF probably will make S = 0 in the calculation whereas if you did the supp (and whether you pass it or not), S > 0 and so your WAM will be higher.

In summary:
- every action you take will alter your WAM.
- doing the supp will give you higher WAM.

Good Luck ~!

Last edited:

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Just do the statics Supp. They shouldn't change it to much from the final exam which was based primarily on all of the other 'choose 5 out of 7 questions' tests available on the library website, i.e. June 2000, June 2004. As you can see, they both have the exact same type of questions, as did this years final.

GL

KD

HSC
N/A
IMPORTANT: WD does not mean you have a sup. It means withheld. There can be various reasons for this. Currently the lecturer is probably waiting to see if you put in for special consideration as the only information available at present would say that you didn't attend the exam. You must contact your School for further information ASAP. You will also need to put in for special consideration. Note there is a time limit and your excuse may not be sufficient to warrant a sup.

zkuld

newblet
HSC
I think it's a bit too late for that :p
The test is on tomorrow heheh

zkuld

newblet
HSC
woah... just as I expected. The test had exactly the same type of questions as the final, but easier! I'm hating myself right now for not learning this stuff earlier and instead of just getting a PS, would have gotten a D or a HD.

Princeps_

HSC
Failed for sure, i wish they gave me more than a half day warning, oh well, ill probably be with like 3 ppl in statics lecture LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)